PDA

View Full Version : ceiling fan stalling

ForeverYoung
4th November 2023, 07:07 PM
thought I would try under electrical rather than cooling ...
have 2 three speed fans in an open plan area - both about 10 years old I would say and those basic old style white with a 3 speed wall mount controller (has an Off too).
anyway, one of em, when on the slow speed stops turning, maybe after an hour or two.
when on medium speed hums along jusy fine.
which is a bummer cause when on slow it is a little bit slower than the other one and is at a speed I prefer(red).

just wonder if it is the wall controller at fault (I see greenshed sells controllers) or a fault in the fan?

tia.

China
5th November 2023, 12:13 AM
Could be the Fan ( most likely ) or the controller if it is ten years old unlikely any parts will be available, probably time to update.

ForeverYoung
5th November 2023, 08:51 AM
Could be the Fan ( most likely ) or the controller if it is ten years old unlikely any parts will be available, probably time to update.

parts seem readily available:
Deta Fan Controller Module With Capacitor - Bunnings Australia (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-fan-controller-module-with-capacitor_p0332493)

prefer to repair than replace - not into the throw away mentality.

DJ’s Timber
5th November 2023, 09:00 AM
Can you swap the controllers between the two, that way you can determine if the fault is the controller or the fan before you go out buying components.

ForeverYoung
5th November 2023, 10:20 AM
Can you swap the controllers between the two, that way you can determine if the fault is the controller or the fan before you go out buying components.

now, why didn't I think of that!
:doh:

ForeverYoung
5th November 2023, 02:01 PM

it's the controller :)
so, easy fix
well, apart from the wall plates being different and mounted different etc etc
always something, inc the last sparkie used cable ties.

droog
5th November 2023, 06:53 PM
it's the controller :)
so, easy fix
well, apart from the wall plates being different and mounted different etc etc
always something, inc the last sparkie used cable ties.

If it’s one of the more modern controllers rather that one of the large square boxes, some of them have a minimum speed setting.
Maybe just needs to be reset?

ForeverYoung
5th November 2023, 07:49 PM
If it’s one of the more modern controllers rather that one of the large square boxes, some of them have a minimum speed setting.
Maybe just needs to be reset?

couldn't see anything.
it isn't one of those old large ones - I quite liked them, 5 speed settings and slow was nice and slow, like slapping the air :)
it is one that has Off-Hi-Med-Lo
So you go through Hi first.
When on Lo it runs for a while then gets slower and slower and then stops, usually an hour or two later.

I think there are ones that have a separate on/off switch to the 3 speeds knob, maybe on those you can set the minimum speed?