PDA

View Full Version : whats an alternative to 22m of trunking conduit???

wozzzzza
2nd September 2023, 06:24 PM
i wanted to lay 22m of 75x75mm trunking conduit along a top of a wall so it looks like its part of the building and not use round stuff but when i looked at the price of a 4m length of this stuff its around $150, i almost fell off my chair. i had to read the listings and look at a few different places to believe it as i thought it might have been a pack of 5 or something for that price but it wasn't.
why is this stuff soo damn expensive??
it will cost me almost $1k to run 22m of conduit. not going to happen.
what can i use as an alternative to this stuff that is around a quarter of the price? anyone got any ideas?
needs to be something that can be easy to add new cable to at a later date when i need to run more through it unlike round conduit which is real hard to do.
ideas??

droog
2nd September 2023, 06:43 PM
You dont mention what service it needs to carry apart from "cable", so any regulation aside:

Air con conduit ?
75mm Duct Cover Plastic 2 meter length | 8 Buy only | SD-75-8 - Complete Air (https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/860999/75mm-duct-cover-plastic-2-meter-length---12-buy-only.html)
and joiners
75mm Air Conditioner Joiner | SJ-75 - Complete Air (https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/861012/75mm--joiner.html)

16 metres for ~ $130:00

wozzzzza
2nd September 2023, 06:55 PM
You dont mention what service it needs to carry apart from "cable", so any regulation aside:

Air con conduit ?
75mm Duct Cover Plastic 2 meter length | 8 Buy only | SD-75-8 - Complete Air (https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/860999/75mm-duct-cover-plastic-2-meter-length---12-buy-only.html)
and joiners
75mm Air Conditioner Joiner | SJ-75 - Complete Air (https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/861012/75mm--joiner.html)

16 metres for ~ $130:00

lots of low voltage twin cable and network cables, no 240v stuff.
not really a fan of that a/c ducting, but if i have to i have to.
any other ideas?

droog
2nd September 2023, 07:01 PM
lots of low voltage twin cable and network cables, no 240v stuff.
not really a fan of that a/c ducting, but if i have to i have to.
any other ideas?

A sheet metal supplier should be able to fold something up, two U shaped sections. Wont have nice joiners or end sections like a commercial conduit.

Avondale
2nd September 2023, 07:38 PM
Rectangular pvc downpipe? Not quite size but cross section area not lot difference
galvanised downpipe, custom made
I just googled and seems they make any size any colour

pippin88
2nd September 2023, 09:23 PM
Inside? Outside?
How good does it have to look?

wozzzzza
3rd September 2023, 10:14 AM
Inside? Outside?
How good does it have to look?
outside and has to look pretty good.

havabeer69
3rd September 2023, 11:29 PM
not really sure if it meets regs...

can you put the cable in a proper conduit, the cheapest thing you can find. and then run that conduit in whatever PVC, metal, guttering etc pipe that looks nice?

rambunctious
4th September 2023, 08:41 AM
not really sure if it meets regs...

can you put the cable in a proper conduit, the cheapest thing you can find. and then run that conduit in whatever PVC, metal, guttering etc pipe that looks nice?

Probably best suggestion so far.
Colorbond downpipe comes with big end small end for joining.
Comes in 1.8, 2.4, 3, and 3.6 Metre lengths if I remember correctly.
100x75 most common size.

wozzzzza
4th September 2023, 08:55 AM
Probably best suggestion so far.
Colorbond downpipe comes with big end small end for joining.
Comes in 1.8, 2.4, 3, and 3.6 Metre lengths if I remember correctly.
100x75 most common size.
hard to run more cable after that is the issue

Fuzzie
4th September 2023, 11:37 AM

Leave a drawstring or two in the conduit when you do the first install?

Bart1080
4th September 2023, 04:53 PM

There is so much room in the 100x75, you could either pull through a drawstring as your pulling through you new cables or push through 5 lengths of 20mm conduit to attach a new draw string...should slide through easy.

Other than that, have someone fold you up a box out of colorbond. Quash fold the front top side to take away any sharp edges and with a 10mm lip on the top fold so it covers the squash fold on the side and water tight. You can just open slightly and slip your new cables in when required.

Deta 50 x 25mm Trunking - Bunnings Australia (https://www.bunnings.com.au/deta-50-x-25mm-trunking_p4330853) will cost you $120 and add more if/when required
AussieDuct CD5050WH | Maxi Cable Ducting With Lid 50mm x 50mm x 4M PVC | White (sparkydirect.com.au) (https://www.sparkydirect.com.au/p/AussieDuct-CD5050WH-Maxi-Cable-Ducting-With-Lid-50mm-x-50mm-x-4M-PVC-White) bigger stuff $350

wozzzzza
6th September 2023, 04:27 PM
i have found it, i will be using 80mm cool duct. it is pretty much the same as trunking conduit and 10 times cheaper.

droog
6th September 2023, 07:39 PM
i have found it, i will be using 80mm cool duct. it is pretty much the same as trunking conduit and 10 times cheaper.

Google of “cool duct” or “80mm cool duct” does not return any specific matches for the item.
Care to share a link for reference ?

wozzzzza
6th September 2023, 08:04 PM
Google of “cool duct” or “80mm cool duct” does not return any specific matches for the item.
Care to share a link for reference ?
that's just it, i cant find it either, here's a pic of an aircon job i did earlier in the year using it. apparently exclusive to acdtrade, i had to call them today to find out about it.

droog
6th September 2023, 09:03 PM
that's just it, i cant find it either, here's a pic of an aircon job i did earlier in the year using it. apparently exclusive to acdtrade, i had to call them today to find out about it.

Looks to be Ezyduct, different brand to the stuff I linked.

wozzzzza
6th September 2023, 09:26 PM
Looks to be Ezyduct, different brand to the stuff I linked.
similar, finish is a lot better, surfaces are flat and not got channels all around it.

havabeer69
7th September 2023, 11:03 PM
do you have an actual link to it?

wozzzzza
8th September 2023, 08:36 PM
do you have an actual link to it?
never found one. went to get some today and they are closed for stock take damn it. there goes my weekend job.