PDA

View Full Version : sign at front of complex tripping RCD

wozzzzza
27th August 2023, 12:19 PM
i have narrowed down to the sign at the front of the complex is tripping the break when ever i turn it on. there a switch in the office that turns the sign on and off, there is also a isolator switch on the sign itself.
whenever i turn the sign on it trips the breaker, even though the sign isolator switch is off.
i opened up the junction box under the decking at the base of the sign posts and found this.
i think i found the fault.
electrician coming monday.

A Duke
27th August 2023, 03:06 PM
Little bit f***ed.

wozzzzza
27th August 2023, 04:26 PM
Little bit f***ed.
slightly, soo much for the IP67 enclosure it is in.

droog
27th August 2023, 07:44 PM
slightly, soo much for the IP67 enclosure it is in.

Don’t think it has anything to do with the IP67 enclosure, probably due to the NON IP67 tek screws or cracks that have been put in it.
The generous application of silicon may also be a factor.
:no:

rwbuild
27th August 2023, 08:19 PM
and also the holes in the base not sealed as well. Judging by the absolutely $hit workmanship of whoever did it originally they should find a new line of work

Simplicity
27th August 2023, 09:09 PM
It actually looks like condensation in there!

Cheers Matt.

wozzzzza
28th August 2023, 01:37 PM
yeah it is a pretty job at the bottom and cracked, who know who did it, probably decades ago. hopefully getting fixed properly today.
was full of water from a burst pipe next to it but looking at it, been rusty for quite a while.

droog
28th August 2023, 05:37 PM
yeah it is a pretty job at the bottom and cracked, who know who did it, probably decades ago. hopefully getting fixed properly today.
was full of water from a burst pipe next to it but looking at it, been rusty for quite a while.

Burst pipe ?
Was probably the plumbers then :roflmao:

wozzzzza
29th August 2023, 06:17 PM
this was a bit weird. the old rusty wiring in the fuked junction box pictured above on the sign post under the decking looked like the culprit but wasn't. it was another junction box 5 metres away at ground level, well slightly below, that fed this sign its power. this slight underground junction box had water in it as well, pulled the lid, lifted the wires out and dried it and turned power on, you could hear fizzing and a bang as the breaker blew from the conduit going to the sign.
so we worked out that a wire had a break in it down there or something similar and possibly the water was playing with it. because there were a few phases in this conduit the electrician took the power going to the broken wire and routed it to another one and it is now working ok.

r3nov8or
29th August 2023, 10:39 PM
And what colour is earth, is it brown? :p

wozzzzza
30th August 2023, 11:10 AM
hard to tell, there were many colours in there, could have been the red one.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
30th August 2023, 05:03 PM
Is that a water line near the top of the box? How high are the tides around there? :D

wozzzzza
30th August 2023, 10:47 PM
Is that a water line near the top of the box? How high are the tides around there? :D
nope, no water pipes in that photo. only one main 50mm pipe around 1m near it that burst a couple weeks back that filled this box. this box went under when that went but never tripped any breaker then.

yvan
31st August 2023, 09:03 AM

Pick a colour...any colour!!!

dinghh5
31st August 2023, 09:30 PM
Blue [emoji1]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk