PDA

View Full Version : Building of new front pedestrian gate

wozzzzza
23rd August 2023, 04:12 PM
starting the build of the new pedestrian gate to replace the flimsy thin aluminium one with a sturdy and beefy steel one.
the old one has been repaired that many times im over it, easily opened by flexing the gate posts if you know this, the uprights keep breaking off the gate as they are not welded on well, and its just a piece of crap. got quoted around $900 to build a new one in steel, i thought stuff that and doing it myself for half of that plus more stuff on it, beefier hinges, beefier posts, replacing them with 100x100x4mm steel posts, currently 60x60x2 aluminium and the gate is made out of 40x20x1.5mm.
the gate frame will be 50x50x2.5mm and the tube parts 21.3mm diameter and around 2.6mm thickness.
once this is built, good luck anyone destroying or bending this one.

wozzzzza
28th August 2023, 06:13 PM
welded up frame today nice and square and tidied up the welds ready for powder coating and cut a few more holes in the post for the switch and LED's
i inserted 2 of the gate tubes while i was welding it up so i knew they would fit afterwards.

wozzzzza
14th September 2023, 09:45 PM
bit slow going as this job is done in between other jobs when i get time.
just welded on the caps to the top of the posts from 100mm flat bar 4mm thick.

wozzzzza
25th September 2023, 04:44 PM
finally finished the gate, stops welded on, the holes are in it for the locks and mechanisms, the cables, the hinges, the handles and the panel for the instructions on how to use it for the dummies.
put the 8 spigots on the top from the old gate, I'm surprised people haven't knocked them off yet as they just pulled straight off with a twist. i had to grind them down a bit to fit the new thicker tube then hammered them in and drilled a hole through the tube and the spigots and put a self tapping screw through them all and ground it flush so you don't even know its there and no one will ever remove these spigots.
i will be taking it in for powder coating tomorrow.

wozzzzza
5th December 2023, 08:46 PM
finally got around to mounting this gate. got back from powder coaters and tried to get the old posts out the ground, no luck, gave up easily knowing i was beaten, called in the big guns with the big core drills and they took both posts out in the hour.
2 man job lifting the gate assemble into the place into the holes and levelled up nicely and concreted in.
this gate aint going nowhere unlike the old crappy aluminium one i could lift with one hand it was that flimsy.

wozzzzza
10th December 2023, 10:41 PM
here it is all finished. look at those beefy hinges, look at the before and after, beeeeeeeeffy gate.

r3nov8or
11th December 2023, 07:33 AM
Cyclone proof!

wozzzzza
11th December 2023, 08:53 PM
Cyclone proof!
thats it, everything else around it will be destroyed but my gate.

havabeer69
19th December 2023, 11:24 AM
thats it, everything else around it will be destroyed but my gate.

the big question... was it cyclone proof?

wozzzzza
19th December 2023, 02:56 PM
the big question... was it cyclone proof?
bloody oath, no wind gonna rip that up, the old one would have been blown apart.