PDA

View Full Version : what colour is earth? is it brown??

wozzzzza
20th July 2023, 10:17 AM
seems like no posts here for a while so i will post a question see what answers i get. although a stupid question.
what colour is earth? i think it possibly is green/yellow??

NCArcher
20th July 2023, 10:27 AM
In Australia and New Zealand, yes it is Green/Yellow. Older cables and installations had solid green so that is still acceptable as an earthing conductor.

pippin88
20th July 2023, 02:47 PM
If you don't know and can't search what colour ground is, please please do not mess with 240v. For your safety and anyone who comes after you.

phild001
20th July 2023, 04:53 PM
If you don't know and can't search what colour ground is, please please do not mess with 240v. For your safety and anyone who comes after you.Wozza you would be aware of this and don't you usually use an electrician! Maybe testing these mods out :biggrin2:

jack620
20th July 2023, 05:32 PM
Well he did admit that it's a stupid question. And I agree with him. I do wonder what the point of the post was.

droog
20th July 2023, 08:32 PM
seems like no posts here for a while so i will post a question see what answers i get. although a stupid question.

All depends on the colour of the cable that the person that wired it used.:U

wozzzzza
20th July 2023, 09:01 PM
Wozza you would be aware of this and don't you usually use an electrician! Maybe testing these mods out :biggrin2:
yeah and yeah

I do wonder what the point of the post was.
as mentioned just to get some action in this forum that looks dead to see if there is anyone around still to liven it up.

rambunctious
20th July 2023, 09:06 PM
yeah and yeah

as mentioned just to get some action in this forum that looks dead to see if there is anyone around still to liven it up.

LOL get it wrong and you will liven up.

Handyjack
20th July 2023, 10:23 PM
If there is no earth it could be a matter of life or death!

Mobyturns
21st July 2023, 08:36 AM
Well, :rolleyes: it seems your trolling produced a few bites. :doh:

yvan
22nd July 2023, 09:10 AM

Do you need to know which colour earth is to build your gate? :rolleyes:

rwbuild
22nd July 2023, 12:34 PM
Well it depends where you live or work. It can vary from light sandy colour to almost black and in some areas light reddish brown or where I am, dark reddish brown other wires it also depends on if you are mixing them up between different earth types. It doesn't matter the colour, they all affect electrolysis.......

wood spirit
22nd July 2023, 01:00 PM
It looks mostly blue and white from the moon!

wozzzzza
22nd July 2023, 01:30 PM
Do you need to know which colour earth is to build your gate? :rolleyes:
yeah just incase a live wire from electronics touches it i will earth it. don't want to put a brown wire on it by mistake. although up here it will be welcomed with all the crime going on

Mobyturns
23rd July 2023, 10:05 AM
yeah just incase a live wire from electronics touches it i will earth it. don't want to put a brown wire on it by mistake. although up here it will be welcomed with all the crime going on

Sad state of affairs it has become with juvenile crime.

Many years ago, in Brownsville a retired lady had amassed a significant collection of Bonsai trees, mostly her own creations. Sadly, they started disappearing at night to her great distress. So, with the help of some friends a single wire catenary wire was installed to hang some of her other plants in hanging baskets. The barbed wire just happened to be excellent for spacing the plants and prevent them from sliding along the wire. It also happened to run the entire perimeter of her Bonsai collection display area and was some 300mm inside her property. The rate of theft certainly slowed considerably, but the local Police were none too happy about the "man trap" and ordered its removal. How they became aware of it is also a mystery. Presumably a visitor complained?

wozzzzza
23rd July 2023, 11:27 AM
Sad state of affairs it has become with juvenile crime.

Many years ago, in Brownsville a retired lady had amassed a significant collection of Bonsai trees, mostly her own creations. Sadly, they started disappearing at night to her great distress. So, with the help of some friends a single wire catenary wire was installed to hang some of her other plants in hanging baskets. The barbed wire just happened to be excellent for spacing the plants and prevent them from sliding along the wire. It also happened to run the entire perimeter of her Bonsai collection display area and was some 300mm inside her property. The rate of theft certainly slowed considerably, but the local Police were none too happy about the "man trap" and ordered its removal. How they became aware of it is also a mystery. Presumably a visitor complained?
next they will be saying to everyone, to stop your home invasions just leave your keys in your car and leave it unlocked so they don't invade your home to steal the keys for your car. damn government are too soft, give some punishment so there is actually deterrents to what they do.

whitey66
23rd July 2023, 11:37 AM
Yes, brown IS earth if you're working on certain European built cars. On the same cars the positive is often black just to confuse things a bit more :oo:

phild001
23rd July 2023, 01:03 PM
next they will be saying to everyone, to stop your home invasions just leave your keys in your car and leave it unlocked so they don't invade your home to steal the keys for your car. damn government are too soft, give some punishment so there is actually deterrents to what they do.
It has already been suggested to leave your keys on the kitchen table so they don't hang around too long. The government is soft because too many parents are soft.

wozzzzza
23rd July 2023, 09:53 PM
It has already been suggested to leave your keys on the kitchen table so they don't hang around too long. The government is soft because too many parents are soft.
so the goverment have been bought up by soft parents, thats why life sucks.