PDA

View Full Version : How to modify this garage

Arron
9th June 2023, 09:12 PM
Hi. This old garage is at the rear of our house. I want to retain it but update the front.

The walls are besser block.

My current idea is to cut down where I have drawn the red line and remove the blocks on the right hand side of the line. Then fit a sectional garage door across the space that will then be about 3500 wide. The top of the door will be about half way up the current windows. Then reconstruct all the frontage that is above that point - a bit more modern in style.

I’m assuming I can just hire a concrete saw and cut directly through the blocks. Then knock them out - they appear to just sit on the old slab. Then tidy it up with render.

Is this possible, or am I missing something?
Is there an easier way then using a saw?

Cheers
Arron

rwbuild
9th June 2023, 09:24 PM
Exactly as you have said :2tsup:

Arron
10th June 2023, 07:36 AM
Thanks. I have a 9 inch angle grinder. Do you think I could use that with a diamond blade? Save myself a trip to the hire shop.

Also, would there be any reo in the bit I’m removing and will that interfere with the cutting?

Cheers

mature one
10th June 2023, 09:15 AM
a nine inch grinder with appropriate breathing gear would do the cut however being close to the corner may have reinforcing steel in corner diamond blade will take a moderate amount of steel cutting.[and i mean moderate]

Beardy
10th June 2023, 09:01 PM
What width are the blocks and are the cores filled? A diamond blade in a grinder will cut the blocks like butter but if you cant cut right through after cutting from bith sides it can sometimes get a bit messy getting a clean face to work with for the next stage or you can risk damaging the blocks you are wanting to keep in the process which can make a bigger job of it all.

Arron
10th June 2023, 10:26 PM
What width are the blocks and are the cores filled? A diamond blade in a grinder will cut the blocks like butter but if you cant cut right through after cutting from bith sides it can sometimes get a bit messy getting a clean face to work with for the next stage or you can risk damaging the blocks you are wanting to keep in the process which can make a bigger job of it all.

They are just standard besser blocks so 190mm wide I guess. That means I won’t get all the way through with a 9inch. I don’t mind a bit of demolition damage though because I will be rendering it anyway.

For 50% of the blocks the join is directly under where I want to cut. I don’t know how cleanly they will part at the joint.

As for the cores, I’ll have a look tomorrow (no power out there) and I should be able to poke a rod down and find out what is filled and what isn’t.

Beardy
11th June 2023, 06:46 AM
They are just standard besser blocks so 190mm wide I guess. That means I won’t get all the way through with a 9inch. I don’t mind a bit of demolition damage though because I will be rendering it anyway.

For 50% of the blocks the join is directly under where I want to cut. I don’t know how cleanly they will part at the joint.

As for the cores, I’ll have a look tomorrow (no power out there) and I should be able to poke a rod down and find out what is filled and what isn’t.

190mm is a standard size and are most likely not core filled in that situation The concrete saw is the tool of choice if you had one but the grinder will do it as well all be it with dust and not a single pass clean cut.