PDA

View Full Version : Painting question

coongoola
4th January 2006, 07:08 PM
Hi there, I hope I can ask a question re painting here, I haven't seen any in the past.

I seem to have problems when cutting in around architraves etc. and doing the rest of the wall with a roller. I can always see a "cut in" line where I used the brush.

What's the secret, do you cut in first or roll the wall first and then cut in over where you have rolled ?

BTW, the paint is acrylic satin and it's inside where I seem to have problems.

Many thanks

Pat

echnidna
4th January 2006, 07:50 PM
cut in with the brush first then roll as close to the edge as practicable.

Ashore
4th January 2006, 08:13 PM
Go with Bob's advice, the only thging I'll add is get a decent brush , a monarch or similar where the brush end is cut / tapered at about 30 deg
bunnies sell them , espically for cutting in
may cost in excess of $30 but look after it and it will last for donkeys years.

Kev Y.
4th January 2006, 08:17 PM
if you can see a bump/line after you roll and after cutting in, you are using too much paint on the brush.

After the initial cutting in I always follow up by brushing any excess out on the surface.

IF you are talking about the "flat" effect, just do as echnidna says, roll as close to the edge as possable

markharrison
4th January 2006, 10:03 PM
In addition to Brudda's excellent advice, when you have loaded the roller, roll each end of the roller in the roller tray before applying to the wall. The idea is to reduce the amount of paint on each end of the roller so you get less of a line in the rolled on paint.

Trav
5th January 2006, 12:41 AM
Just to add one more suggestion - it is pretty common to get 'picture framing' when painting alone - especially when hot. It happens because the paint in the cut in dries before you roll over it, and doesn't blend properly.

Solution: paint faster, use floetrol (which keeps paint wet for longer) or simply cut in smaller sections. I tend to paint along the vertical join between walls first, and about halfway along the ceiling only. Then roll the 1/4 of the wall, and then cut in some more. Painting ceilings yourself are a righteous pain, so get some help if you can!

Cheers

Trav

rrich
5th January 2006, 03:41 PM
Pat,
Here we have applicator pads. These devices are like a roller cover that is flattened out and attached to a handle. As I'm rolling paint on a wall, I pick up one of these pad applicators and do next to the ceiling or molding. We even have some "V" shaped applicator pads for doing the corners. The real trick is to use the applicator pad as you're rolling the wall.

silentC
5th January 2006, 03:59 PM
We have those pads here too. Good for the handyman/DIY person. They make one with wheels on it for cutting in to cornice. I prefer a good cutting in brush but a lot of people swear by them.

I cut in with a brush. Load up the roller and start a roller width from where you cut in, then work across so that there's less paint on the roller at that point. Finish right up to the edges of your cut in line when the roller is at it's driest. Been doing it that way for years and no lines. There is a slight change in texture but there's not much you can do about that apart from minimising the width of it.

looney
22nd February 2006, 05:27 PM
mini roller again

i have tried having one sitting there, run it over brushed area before it's dry, roller must have some paint on it, but very little, tacky shall we say, that way it is easy for the inexperienced to get close to windows and doors, many try it with a large roller and it causes more grief than it solves

ozwinner
22nd February 2006, 06:20 PM
Pat,
Here we have applicator pads. These devices are like a roller cover that is flattened out and attached to a handle. As I'm rolling paint on a wall, I pick up one of these pad applicators and do next to the ceiling or molding. We even have some "V" shaped applicator pads for doing the corners. The real trick is to use the applicator pad as you're rolling the wall.

Yep we have them here too, expensive but they do a good job.
I have a collection of them.

Al :)