PDA

View Full Version : Decking Oil - Tinted or Natural

Sir Stinkalot
27th December 2005, 03:15 PM
Hi all,

I have recently picked up some Jarrah decking and I am ready to lay. I did a search this morning regqarding oils and the like and have settled on Feast Wastson decking oil.

My question is such ..... should I go for a natural oil colour to bring out the colour of the Jarrah or use the Jarrah colour tint oil?

I have always felt that the tinted oils are best suited for the poor sods who use treaded pine and want the look of Jarrah. Will the Jarrah tint over the true Jarrah timber look better than the natural oil over the Jarrah or will it tend to look painted and unnatural.

Thanks.

ozwinner
27th December 2005, 04:21 PM
I have always felt that the tinted oils are best suited for the poor sods who use treaded pine and want the look of Jarrah. .

That me.:p
I used treated pine, but found it too glarey in the sun, so tinted it with oil based stuff.
Looks just like Jarrah now. :rolleyes:

Al :D

maglite
28th December 2005, 12:17 AM
Hi all,

I have recently picked up some Jarrah decking and I am ready to lay. I did a search this morning regqarding oils and the like and have settled on Feast Wastson decking oil.

My question is such ..... should I go for a natural oil colour to bring out the colour of the Jarrah or use the Jarrah colour tint oil?

I have always felt that the tinted oils are best suited for the poor sods who use treaded pine and want the look of Jarrah. Will the Jarrah tint over the true Jarrah timber look better than the natural oil over the Jarrah or will it tend to look painted and unnatural.

Thanks.
Stinky,
Go the clear.
I used the oils are all the same" approach and used Penetrol paint oil on our jarrah deck and the finish lokks great.
Pics attached.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
28th December 2005, 12:18 AM
Personally I prefer a clear finish for a couple of reasons.

Firstly, I like natural grain. Secondly, if a tinted finish is used and the decking wears down to bare timber after a few years but before time's found to recoat it, then you really need to try and "match" the original tint. Otherwise it starts to look patchy. Of course, clear coat can be used for future upkeep if the orig finish is wearing well.

Generally speaking, (there's always exceptions) the only time I'll use a tint for the initial finish is if there's a lot of colour variation in the boards and I want to tone it down a bit.

I don't do treated pine. ;)