PDA

View Full Version : cedar

mako
21st December 2005, 07:57 AM
Hi evevrybody! The new house i bought has cedar window frames that are painted and i want to sand them back for a timber look. What should i use on the timber to protect it and also to get a nice finish? Cheers

bigdazza
21st December 2005, 11:19 AM
Hi evevrybody! The new house i bought has cedar window frames that are painted and i want to sand them back for a timber look. What should i use on the timber to protect it and also to get a nice finish? Cheers

Sikkens or Intergrain DWD.;)

Bin J
21st December 2005, 12:05 PM
Hi there - I started removing paint from my painted timber windows and it's been a nightmare :rolleyes: . I've used paint stripper and scrapers and sanders - none are that easy.

How are you going to go about removing the old paint?

bitingmidge
21st December 2005, 06:16 PM
The best thing to put on timber window frames is Paint. That's why they were all painted originally.

Clear finish needs at least annual re-doing, and you have to be particularly careful to keep water out of the joints.

My favourite trick when I absolutely couldn't talk ignorant beligerent clients out of clear finishes, was/is to paint all the recesses and moulding bits except for the face in a solid colour that actually comes close to matching the original timber colour, then clear finishing the timber face only.

The painted bits are always in shadow, and the paint cant' be spotted anyway, and the flat face picks up the timber, is easy to maintain, and we all live happily ever after.

cheers,

P :D

mako
21st December 2005, 06:38 PM
Thats a great idea ! Thanks for that. As far as stripping the original (ugly green) paint im not sure as yet. I was thinking just sanding with rough paper and/or a sander but now im thinking it may be a bigger job than i thought !

bitingmidge
21st December 2005, 06:57 PM
If you are going to follow through on the above, all you have to do is strip the face. Use paint stripper first, to get the bulk off, then go carefully with a ROS at slow speed to expose the timber.

That's another great thing about it, you don't have to remove paint from those hard-to get places!

Cheers,

P
;)

aiwoz
21st December 2005, 07:11 PM
I used a heat gun and plenty of elbow grease, remember to be careful of fumes if lead based paint was used. There's cheap test kits available or your local paint supplier will do it for you.

Cheers

cathnniv
22nd December 2005, 05:08 PM
Hi,
I'm currently doing exactly the same thing.
I have purchased 6 old colonial wood windows to replace the disgusting aluminium ones i currently have and they ALL need stripping back, sanding and finishing. HUGE JOB!!

5 are Kauri pine windows, casement type 1.8m x 1.2m
1 Cedar window no frame

I've begun the task only to discover how involved and hard it is. I'm sick of sanding, spent a fortune in paint stripper and only have 2 half done :-)
BUT i am perservering.

I want the bare timber look also.
Three will be protected from the weather with a fourth half protected so i figure the re varnishing won't be so bad.

I'd prefere the bare look any day to painted and will do whatever it takes to get it.

Goodluck with yours.

mako
22nd December 2005, 05:28 PM
Thanks:) All my windows across the front are under a 2m wide veranda so they should not get the weather to much. I didnt think it would be such a big job but by the sounds of it it is ! lol. I dont get the house till jan 9th so wwe will see if i loose my patience with the first window but it does look so much better.

Ashore
22nd December 2005, 08:31 PM
Remember cedar is soft so electric sanders will mark and damage the surface easily
I would think about the idea of painting in a colour to suit

Ashore

seriph1
23rd December 2005, 01:33 AM
doesnt caustic based stripper turn cedar black?

mako
23rd December 2005, 06:02 AM
:eek: