PDA

View Full Version : Random Orbit Sander Vibration?

raaven
10th December 2005, 06:45 AM
Hi - I've been using a 5" Makita ROS (can't recall the model # at the moment) and I've been getting TERRIBLE numbness in my arm. Can anyone rate the vibration levels of other ROS units for me? I've heard that the Bosch is very good in this regard. Thanks.

Groggy
10th December 2005, 09:22 AM
Hi - I've been using a 5" Makita ROS (can't recall the model # at the moment) and I've been getting TERRIBLE numbness in my arm. Can anyone rate the vibration levels of other ROS units for me? I've heard that the Bosch is very good in this regard. Thanks.raaven, try a gel filled glove, it helps (I have a Makita BO6050).

bitingmidge
10th December 2005, 09:28 AM
I only get a tingling in both hands from my Bosch!

Try a gel-filled glove! You can get them at any safety equipment supplier and probably at Bunneys.

The flash brands, Fein, Rupes and Festo are much better.

I once had a Rupes quarter sheet sander that I could hardly tell if it was turned on. Actually it was easy to tell, I'd start coughing and my eyes would water because of all the dust it was creating, but they were the days when vacuum cleaners were for sheilas to clean under the smokers stands in the living room.

Cheers,

P:D

Groggy
10th December 2005, 09:32 AM
The flash brands, Fein, Rupes and Festo are much better.Rupes? I've never heard of them. How did that happen?:confused:

KevM
10th December 2005, 09:46 AM
Rupes? I've never heard of them. How did that happen?:confused:
Groggy,
Rupes used to be the only sander you would find in a motor vehicle body works 15 years ago, not sure if it still applies but those guys would not buy anything else. Mate had two, used every day not one spot of trouble over a ten year period.

Kev M

Groggy
10th December 2005, 09:50 AM
Groggy,
Rupes used to be the only sander you would find in a motor vehicle body works 15 years ago, not sure if it still applies but those guys would not buy anything else. Mate had two, used every day not one spot of trouble over a ten year period.

Kev MSo they are air tools then?

Iain
10th December 2005, 11:56 AM
No, and they look very much like Festool, just orange.
I have seen a lot of Festool in motor body works but the Rupes I have never seen at a retail outlet, only the WWW show.

markharrison
10th December 2005, 01:38 PM
I have a Makita BO6030 and I am not having problems. How much work has it had? Maybe it needs a service?

Gumby
10th December 2005, 02:00 PM
No such problem with my Metabo either.

Harry72
10th December 2005, 03:45 PM
Your not pushing on it too hard... or gripping it with white knuckle tightness?
A sander should only be working under its own weight plus the weight of your hand, dont lean or push down as it only transfers the action to the handle and does less work on the surface.

graemet
12th December 2005, 10:01 PM
Love my Metabo Duo! At the WWW shows, Les Miller used to turn his ROS on and leave it running on the bench, hands off. I think he was promoting Festo, but the Metabo is just as good.
Cheers,
Graeme

Redback
13th December 2005, 05:01 PM
hmm gel filled glove eh....

Ive just spent the last 2 days sanding, and I have been getting a tingling numbness in my right hand for hours after....

I have a bosch...