PDA

View Full Version : patching two-pac

spartan
9th December 2005, 12:47 PM
Hi,

I discovered a small dent in a new cabinet about the size of a match stick head that I want to repair. Mainly because it is annoying etc. Once you know its there.....

Does anyone have any tips about what i might use, or how I might go about this?

It is gloss white, I have had success in the past using white car polish to fill small scratches etc...
I was contemplating using a minute amount of filler and then the car polish on top.

Iain
9th December 2005, 01:13 PM
Steam, a damp cloth and an iron may swell the fibres back up and remove the dent.

arms
9th December 2005, 07:59 PM
steam and a damp rag WILL NOT REPAIR A POLYURETHANE FINISH
find out the make and brand of the two pack finish including the gloss level then BUY a small sample pack then using an artists brush dab a small dab on the offending chip,do this until the chip is slightly over filled ,wait till the poly has cured then use 2000 yes 2000 wet and dry and buff the poly patch down ,do not cut through the skin ,after this use a polish to get the gloss level back

Iain
9th December 2005, 08:02 PM
I was assuming two pac as a patch not the original finish...........

arms
9th December 2005, 08:09 PM
to assume makes both an ASS of U and ME

echnidna
9th December 2005, 08:44 PM
thats right - Iain loves his donkeys:rolleyes:

Shane Watson
13th December 2005, 09:17 AM
steam and a damp rag WILL NOT REPAIR A POLYURETHANE FINISH

Hmmm..its worked for me and well I ain't no stranger to this stuff as most know on this board.

arms
13th December 2005, 10:59 AM
you may be no stranger to this stuff through this forum but a polyurethane surface is an acid cured coating that becomes hardened through a chemical process making it a impervious surface and the only way to fix it is to recoat with another coating of the same material,
if as you say it has workrd for you then your are a better man than me ,but then again i have only been associated with the product for 24 years now,so i guess i should stand in front of the youngster and feel humbled by his wordly knowledge ,but i doubt that very much

spartan
13th December 2005, 11:51 AM
Guys, thanks for the information thus far.

I know that the two-pac is vinyal wrap if that makes any difference?

Arms, whilst you are saying that steam and damp cloth will not fix the problem, would it do any harm to try? Or should just go straight for the paint match option.

Regards

Skew ChiDAMN!!
13th December 2005, 05:17 PM
Lessee... Iain suggested ironing a damp cloth to make the fibres swell, to minimise the depth of the dent. (IMHO it rarely actually removes them.) Arms responds with "that won't fix the finish" and proceeds to offer a method to patch the PolyU.

Hmmm... No matter how I look at it, the above aren't mutually exclusive and the "least visible" patch would probably require a combination of the two.

Use the iron to rreduce the dent. If the damage to the PolyU itself still annoys you, paint match it.

I wish you luck, I avoid PolyU for exactly this reason. :)

renomart
13th December 2005, 07:25 PM
If it is a gloss vinyl wrapped substrate then DO NOT use heat! Vinyl wrap (or thermo laminate) uses heat and pressure to conform to the underlying substrate. You will end up with a wrinkled / delaminated finish.

lnt9000
13th December 2005, 09:41 PM
If it is a gloss vinyl wrapped substrate then DO NOT use heat! Vinyl wrap (or thermo laminate) uses heat and pressure to conform to the underlying substrate. You will end up with a wrinkled / delaminated finish.
Well said, Spartan if its vinyl wrap then it aint 2pac, under no circumstance use heat you will do further damage, Touch it up with some white enamel and only you will know its there;)

Iain
13th December 2005, 09:48 PM
,but then again i have only been associated with the product for 24 years now,so i guess i should stand in front of the youngster and feel humbled by his wordly knowledge ,but i doubt that very much
Mmmm, I've been driving considerably longer than Michael Schumacher so on that premise I must be a far superior driver:cool:

Shane Watson
15th December 2005, 09:00 AM
ouch, did someone get intimidated by someone who might just know a trick they don't...... :p :D