PDA

View Full Version : MDF Kitchen Doors

normell
8th December 2005, 07:56 PM
Planning to replace the crappy old kitchen cabinet doors with some painted craftwood (MDF) doors.
Questions that come too mind are:-
would 18mm MDF be to heavy, and would 12mm be too flimsy, with centre panels from 9mm MDF.

Normell

johnc
8th December 2005, 08:32 PM
What about 16mm:D . Seems a shame to leave out the middle size. 18mm should be fine.

John

zathras
8th December 2005, 08:46 PM
If you use the usual "European hinges", 12mm will be too thin for the cavity where the hinge sits in.

I used 12mm on some doors in the shed under the bench, and when you stand to the side you can make out where the cavity is, even though there is still 1mm of MDF left behind.

FWIW, I redid my laundry using painted 18mm MDF, and it worked out fine, even with full height doors.

renomart
8th December 2005, 09:02 PM
18mm is the best way. If you are going to paint the doors it will reduce the amount of bowing in the door. If you have any tall pantry doors I would split them in two pieces (i.e overall existing tall door height - your existing floor door height - 3mm gap = new upper pantry door height).

ivanavitch
8th December 2005, 11:52 PM
18mm
I put MDF doors on the last ketchen reno (last prior to the current one which is tas oak). I routed vertical vees to make it look like VJ which matched the style of house (Qldlander). Oil based brushed paintjob came up a treat.