PDA

View Full Version : Tip for silicon haters

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2005, 12:07 PM
G'day.

This may be common knowledge for some so please excuse me if I'm telling you how not to suck eggs.:cool:

I know that silicon is the enemy of a spray finish.
I also know that most spray finishers won't allow it anywhere near their shed.

Did you know that silicon is used to waterproof leather work boots?

I bought a new pair of Blunstone work boots yesterday & I went for the waterproof/rural model & then I found out that the waterproofing is actually silicon. I didn't know that. :o

This won't bother Major Panic 'cos even though he uses spray finishes, he doesn't wear boots. :D

echnidna
7th December 2005, 04:45 PM
So MP sprays his toenails:)

I wonder what color ?:rolleyes:

rsser
7th December 2005, 07:46 PM
Gee Cliff, I'm disappointed.

What's wrong with Dubbin or Neatsfoot?

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2005, 08:59 PM
Gee Cliff, I'm disappointed.

What's wrong with Dubbin or Neatsfoot?

I hadn't heard of Neatsfoot but, beleive it or not, Dubbin grows mould in the wet weather if you don't use the item regularly. :eek:

I only use my boots on the weekend & when it's raining up here, 5 days is a long time in the life cycle of a mould spore. :cool:

markharrison
7th December 2005, 09:07 PM
Best product of all for waterproofing boots (bar none) is NikWax.

BrisBen
7th December 2005, 10:05 PM
I was told by one of those exteme mountain hiking type fellas that you should steer away from any type of organic coating for leather boots - esp around the stitching, he said that silicone based products were the way to go.

Something about bacteria and organic coatings and how the bacteria grow and flourish in warm leather and stitching helping them break down quicker.

He also specifically recommended steering clear of anything that had bees wax in it

I specifically steer clear of any sort of strenuous hiking to avoid the problem!

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2005, 10:09 PM
Mould is a real problem in the tropics in the wet season....
everything goes mouldy.... ever had crutch rot? :cool:

BrisBen
7th December 2005, 10:22 PM
Cliff,

Luckily I still have use of both of my legs so I have no need for crutch.

I would have thought that you would have gone for a hardwood crutch to avoid those sort of problems up there in the humid tropics :p ;)

Cliff Rogers
7th December 2005, 10:57 PM
Crotch? :rolleyes:

journeyman Mick
8th December 2005, 12:04 AM

Yes, unfortunately. :(

Neatsfoot oil = oil made from a "Neat's (cow's) foot traditionally used for lubricant on oilstones . Will eventually rot the stitching.

Mick

rsser
8th December 2005, 05:53 AM
Yeah, Nikwax is the go for hiking boots - esp. the emulsified wax version - but like them all, it uses solvents to keep the main agent soft and the solvent degrades the stitching over time.

That said, 'time' is a relative thing. I have a XC ski boot Nikwaxed to within an inch of its life and it's still going strong after 15 years. (I should have used Nikwax on my joints).

Exador
8th December 2005, 07:09 AM

Used to be a big problem when I was in the Army Reserve - we all soon learned that tight artificial-fibre jocks are not compatible with 3 or 4 weeks out bush :D.
Boxer shorts made of cotton are the go.;)