PDA

View Full Version : Concrete benchtops

Arron
25th November 2005, 12:02 AM
Hi. Has anyone here experimented with concrete benchtops ??

thanks
Arron

mudguts
25th November 2005, 12:24 AM
why would anyone do that????
:confused:

Shedhand
25th November 2005, 12:25 AM

thanks
Arron
Not me. But I wouldn't mind giving it a go. A lot of new restaurants seem to be doing it here in Hobart. Formica and/or Laminex must make a veneer because one new restaurant has used it and it looks very effective.
Cheers

julianx
25th November 2005, 12:39 AM
I do some work for a builder who casts his own. I havn't helped make them but they look great although they cost as much to make as polished granite bench tops. He says it took him a few goes to get the process right.
You can get some great effects using colours and differant aggregates.
Sorry I can't be any more help have fun experimenting

Shedhand
25th November 2005, 12:46 AM

thanks
Arron
Have look here mate http://www.aringo.com.au/
Cheers

bitingmidge
25th November 2005, 04:32 AM
Arron,

Concrete is a wondrous material. From a primal and formless slurry, it can transform itself into solid form taking on any shape. The possibilities for creative expression are endless. You can grind, polish, stamp, and stain it. You can embed objects in it. It has substance and mass, permanence and warmth. It feels earthy. It assumes forms that irrevocably touch our daily lives: bridges, highways, floors, walls, and now even countertops.

I was mad keen on it, but couldn't spare the time, and couldn't get anyone reliable to do it, so used granite for less than the best quote I had :eek: .

Taunton Publications have a book which I must get my hands on one day.
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070599_intpg.asp

It may well be worth investing $50 to have it airmailed if the library doesn't have it.

Cheers,

P:D

Arron
25th November 2005, 08:29 AM

Have a look here and your question will be answered http://www.concretenetwork.com/concrete/sinks_vessels/pedestal_sinks.html or http://www.concretenetwork.com/photo_library/countertops2.htm .

Actually, its a vanity top that we want - with inbuilt basin and surround for a mirror. We have used marble and granite for the rest of the house - very nice but very limiting because you are working with flat slabs of stone. If you want something creative you need to be able to shape it from a mouldable material. I think my wife just wants something no-one else has and its a good thing I enjoy the challenge.

I have read quite a bit on the subject, and now am wanting to make contact with someone who has actually done it.

thanks
Arron

Christopha
25th November 2005, 09:08 AM
Terrazzo??? That is just polished concrete using coloured aggregates and cements... There has to be the odd Italian around who can still do it.

TassieKiwi
25th November 2005, 11:42 AM
Isn't concrete the stuff you use to hold up the TS and jointer?:p

mkemila
25th November 2005, 05:51 PM

that way you know when the saw has gone all the way through the wood of course:D

Auld Bassoon
25th November 2005, 06:19 PM
Have look here mate http://www.aringo.com.au/
Cheers

I don't wish to offend anyone, but in my simple view those are as ugly as sin. Reminiscent of the German bunkers scattered around Jersey and some of the (forced labour) built internal "fittings":eek:

In anycase, I wouldn't have one in my shed - just imagine shoving a nice sharp LN chisel into concrete:eek: (waves garlic & stuff around)

Cheers!

mudguts
25th November 2005, 06:25 PM
I had actually never heard of it.........silly me
no offence
;)

seriph1
26th November 2005, 08:18 AM
Arron,

I was mad keen on it, but couldn't spare the time, and couldn't get anyone reliable to do it, so used granite for less than the best quote I had :eek: .

Taunton Publications have a book which I must get my hands on one day.
http://www.taunton.com/store/pages/070599_intpg.asp

It may well be worth investing $50 to have it airmailed if the library doesn't have it.

Cheers,

P:D

$25 from Amazon + postage

Arron
26th November 2005, 09:47 PM
I don't wish to offend anyone, but in my simple view those are as ugly as sin. Reminiscent of the German bunkers scattered around Jersey and some of the (forced labour) built internal "fittings":eek:
Cheers!

I'd have to agree with you. Aringo's stuff is as ugly as sin - though I was too polite to say it at first. Actually, all the Aussie stuff is pretty awful - all clueless and locked in the 1970's. I guess it looks like terrazzo, which is more 1950's then 1970's and not due for a revival any time soon. Have a look around some of the US designers' sites though and you will see what can be done.

In terms of the look of it, isolated from its context, decorative concrete is never going to be as nice as a quality marble, however it makes up for this through its ability to be shaped however you want it.

Arron

bitingmidge
26th November 2005, 10:15 PM
$25 from Amazon + postage

ON SALE NOW! plus $12 US = $43AUD landed!
Cheers,

P

:D

Sir Stinkalot
27th November 2005, 12:41 PM
I think given the right context it can look great .... however I am into that industrial look myself.

The image with the country style kitchen with the concrete top looked out of place and didn't suit at all.

The floors look great as well.

markharrison
27th November 2005, 04:21 PM
I guess it looks like terrazzo, which is more 1950's then 1970's and not due for a revival any time soon.

Actually Terrazo has already made comeback. I have seen it used in some very expensive domestic and office kitchens in the past couple of years. They don't use ordinary gray cement. I don't know for sure but I imagine that they are using pure white portland cement.

scooter
27th November 2005, 05:00 PM
I can see the new thread already...

"How do I cut dog holes in my new concrete benchtop".. :D

Put rio in so it holds up to a decent fumping.

Cheers..............Sean

jimc
5th December 2005, 02:07 PM
I have that book and it looks fantastic. My wife has already ordered a benchtop for the new laundry and if that works....the kitchen.

The book did say that the problems were in making the mold and then moving the cast piece(s) to the cabinetry.

Certainly worth a look. Check out the authors website for ideas!
http://www.concreteexchange.com/

sinjin1111
9th December 2005, 10:29 AM
I have the Taunton book and its great. The pics shown at the start of this thread don't really show what can be done. For me the appealing idea is that the bench doesn't have to be flat at all. But you can cast wash area so the water drains into thr sink. Basically if you can think outside of the square you can come up with whatever you like. The book explains how to make simple cheap molds and all the tools you would need. In the book it also shows items cast into the surface. The author doesn't claim concrete to be the answer for all. He just explains how it can be used differently compared to flat surface types such as granite or whatever and also tells how it has a few pitfalls including maintenace.
Sinjin

arms
9th December 2005, 08:06 PM
i had to do several concrete tops for kitchen but unfortunatley they were on an island off of australia and i had to form the boxing and then after the concrete had cured go back and then fix ac sheeting to the concrete then laminate over the ac sheeting with a laminate to make it look like a normal kitchen,isnt it sad that still has to happen in this day and age

Lignum
9th December 2005, 08:14 PM
Sounds like some nice concrete raised panells for my next buffet will be just the thing;)

journeyman Mick
10th December 2005, 12:05 AM
i had to do several concrete tops for kitchen but unfortunatley they were on an island off of australia and i had to form the boxing and then after the concrete had cured go back and then fix ac sheeting to the concrete then laminate over the ac sheeting with a laminate to make it look like a normal kitchen,isnt it sad that still has to happen in this day and age

Tom,
why did they want a concrete top with laminate on it?:confused:

Mick

barnsey
10th December 2005, 05:55 AM
I can't believe I started reading this thread much less commenting.:confused:

If you can mould concrete into a form that is aesthetically pleasing to you or will impress some arty farty individual then you could do it in timber. At least timber is a far more forgiving substance than concrete. :cool:

Stone based bench tops are good for those that are pastry buffs but otherwise as practical as thingo's on a bull IMHO. That's why we put a marble inlay in a timber kitchen bench.:o

Then we get to the hygenic properties and I'm not sure that I want my chicken prepared on a surface that others generally walk on but there's an arguement there that I'm not prepared to pursue here. Porosity and natural materials is a subject that is oft debated.

To top if all off I use a wooden board to do all my food preparation on so that my Lansky honed kitchen knives don't have hard objects under them when I'm cutting.;)

OK I'm off the soapbox now but cement bench tops - could only be for belting your head against for ever using them in the first place:confused:

arms
10th December 2005, 09:34 AM
Tom,
why did they want a concrete top with laminate on it?:confused:

Mick

the reason was that the islanders would burn everything not tied down to feed their fire (usually in the loungroom on the floor) and they couldnt burn concrete so it had a better chance of surviving the tenency period than any other material ,all it needed was a new covering of laminate
thanks for asking mick

BrisBen
11th December 2005, 02:54 PM
Maybe instead of using formed concrete you could look at using compressed firbro cement - 18mm thick as a benchtop - it comes in a 3000mm x 1200mm sheet so your could cut a corner section without a join and I have seen it sealed and used for outdoor cafe tables and seems to stand up to the weather.

Looks a bit like concrete too - just smoother

You could possibly pencil round the edge with a router if you didn't mind wrecking a few bits

like anything - use dust extraction

my two bobs worth anyway

Pulpo
14th December 2005, 10:20 AM
No I have not tried making a concrete counter top yet.

But hopefully within the next 4 weeks I will start building the moulds.

It will be for a basin top in the bathroom and a laundry bench top as well.

Yes I have the book by Cheng.

The colour will be the key.

Not sure how to get the fibres in a small quantity.

To polish the concrete I will use a GMC polisher with diamond pads from Hoskins.

As for getting someone to do it, good luck.

Good luck.

Pulpo

MrFixIt
14th December 2005, 11:24 AM
:confused:Because the nett result can be fantastic. This is NOT just rough "floor" type finish, but a BEAUTIFUL polished and sparkling finish. Can be in many colours depending on your choice of materials and is COMPLETELY free form, can be (and usually is) cast in situ.

They can be DIY, but I think the polishing should be left to an expert. There is at least one book on this subject as I have had it on loan from the local library to check out what can be done and the sample results.

rod1949
14th December 2005, 01:15 PM
I know its not a bench top, but the bloke who built our house some 40 years ago now, in the bathroom did a terrazzo floor with coping all round. We have owned the house for 17 years now, apart from a bit of an exposed aggregate effect on the floor of the shower it has worn extremely well with basically no maintenance and absolutely no mould/mildew ever.

arms
14th December 2005, 04:16 PM
as a side comment ,in india to this day they cast all their tops in concrete,even the shelves are made into the wall of the building and then cast in concrete,the finish is steel trowelled and i am told by one of my customers that has just spent 5 years over there that it is the most durable surface he has ever used, so much so that he knows that i am a patternmaker by trade and he is thinking about paying me to make him a mould for a project he is thinking about in his shed.

Arron
14th December 2005, 06:17 PM
Well, my time is now more limited then I thought, so I havent had much chance to experiment, but here is an update on what I have done.

I made 4 trial-size moulds, about 400x400, and have cast them several times.

Most I have done using 'structural grout' rather then concrete. This is a wonderful material. It dries quickly and can be removed from the mould later the same day. Next day it is rock hard, with a fine-grained surface more like stone then concrete. It also has no shrinkage and minimal cracking - actually on these sample size trials it has zero shrinkage and zero cracking. It is hard and durable enough to be further experimented on even without reinforcing. Put lots of pigment in and when wet it behaves more like liquid rubber then concrete. I bought it at Bunnys but the downside is that it is $15 for 10kg bag. I believe that most of the proprietary mixes available in the US are really just this stuff relabelled.

I have done some in regular concrete - still wet and soft two days later, which may be OK in the finished job but not good for these tests.

I have tried different pigments - no issues there.

I have tried brass inclusions - rather nice.

I have tried grinding and sanding. Using a ROS and working grits from 60 through to 200 then polishing is a cinch. Just expect to use a lot of pads (good thing KMart has them on special here). Polishing is dead easy - just grind away any dags, sand flat with 60 grit and then carry on through the rest.

I have tried experiments with parting oil (unnecessary) and silicon (unnecessary as well).

I have tried trowelled surfaces and casting such that the mould side is the finish side. The latter works better, though my wife says it is dull.

I have tried pigment washes (looked good but lost when sanding) and rough surface infill. The latter is not working yet as the infill tends to be undercut too easily when finishing. Perhaps I should be wetting the block first.

I'm glad this thread is staying alive. Keep up the commentary.
Arron

scooter
14th December 2005, 08:29 PM
Arron, might be worth getting your discs from an abrasives supplier, would probably work out cheaper.

If you have a diamond stone you may be able to use that to take down any rough spots first.

Good luck with the further experiments.......cheers........Sean

Jill
16th December 2005, 11:08 AM
I'd love to see pics of your experiments, Arron.

I've been interested in poured concrete benchtops for some years now, after seeing a vanity bench top in an Owner Builder mag. made to look like sandstone. It was very well done & looked like real sandstone. The guy who made it used a steel ruler to carve the layering to simulate sandstone. He also made his lintels, cast in-situ, and one had a mouse 'carved' into it, along with other detailing. Inspiring work.

Cheers,

Jill

Trav
23rd April 2007, 04:00 PM
Hi there

Has anyone got any recent experiences with concrete benchtops? I am very keen, but keen to hear if others have had positive experiences. Particularly people in Australia - where did you get the mixes, grinding/polishing discs etc.

I am probably going to buy the book/DVD mentioned here and referred to earlier in this thread ( http://www.concreteexchange.com/catalog/1/)

Cheers

Trav

tameriska
24th April 2007, 12:21 AM
Trav, check this thread out, In here somewhere Jill has a poured in place benchtop, it came up really well.

http://woodworkforums.com/showthread.php?t=25158

encino_
13th December 2007, 10:41 PM
Can anyone recommend what sort of mix to use for pouring up for polished concrete?

I want to make a small hearth for my fireplace, probably around 1m wide, 70mm thick, and 200mm back.
I see that Cheng sells a pre mix stuff on his website, but it's expensive, and to get it shipped to Aus would cost heaps.

I want to do it on the cheap, but with a similar appearance to something like these :

http://www.customconcrete.co.nz/hearths.html (http://www.customconcrete.co.nz/images/gallery_hth_02.jpg)

I like this style of ground finish better though :
http://www.instructables.com/files/deriv/FFF/XOKR/F4C0MK1M/FFFXOKRF4C0MK1M.MEDIUM.jpg

Can I just get bags of premix from Bunnings? Do I need to add stuff?
What about polishing on the cheap without buying expensive pads?
Anyone reckon if I used plastic or glass on the bottom of the mould, when I turn it over it would be basically finished and shiny without the need for polishing much?

Metung
14th December 2007, 10:44 AM
An architect building around the corner from me has a free standing, polished concrete bath. Looks impressive but I imagine it would suck a lot of heat from the hot water.

derekh
14th December 2007, 03:12 PM
I'm glad I ran into this thread. Only last night I was thinking about the feasibility of casting a base for an Cob Oven in concrete and moving it into place atop masonry blocks. Same principle as a bench top (I hope).

Gra
14th December 2007, 03:29 PM
Well, my time is now more limited then I thought, so I havent had much chance to experiment, but here is an update on what I have done.

I made 4 trial-size moulds, about 400x400, and have cast them several times.

:worthless:

encino_
14th December 2007, 05:49 PM
For anyone interested, this bloke gives a fairly good step by step... but again, I'm at a loss as to what materials people are using here in Australia, especially on the cheap.

http://www.instructables.com/id/Concrete-Countertops-for-the-Kitchen---Solid-Surfa/

solid art
15th January 2008, 04:40 AM
[quote=encino_;644157]Can anyone recommend what sort of mix to use for pouring up for polished concrete?

I want to make a small hearth for my fireplace, probably around 1m wide, 70mm thick, and 200mm back.
I see that Cheng sells a pre mix stuff on his website, but it's expensive, and to get it shipped to Aus would cost heaps.

[email protected]

I'm new here and new at blogin so be nice while I stumble through. I am in the concrete countertop biz having my own company for 5yrs. Here are some pic. for now, I have to go. I'll answer your ???? later.