PDA

View Full Version : size of footings for deck piers?

gsouth
24th November 2005, 08:20 PM
All,

I'm about to extend a deck and have decided to use brick piers.
The piers will be about 4-5 bricks high.

I was wondering what size footing I need to create out of concrete for these piers?

Cheers
Geoff

mudguts
24th November 2005, 10:48 PM
Mr South,

I suggest u calculate the area of the brick pillar and double it while going an absolute minimum of 600mm deep.

Why use bricks when u have to dig holes for footings any way, why not use timber posts. A lot less mucking around for mine.

Good luck.
The Mudder:D

namtrak
25th November 2005, 07:40 AM
I suggest you call your local council and talk to them about specs, last you want is to be digging the bugger up.

Exador
25th November 2005, 08:28 AM
All,

I'm about to extend a deck and have decided to use brick piers.
The piers will be about 4-5 bricks high.

I was wondering what size footing I need to create out of concrete for these piers?

Cheers
Geoff

The footing size will depend on the weight of the structure and the soil type, unless the deck has a roof, in which case you'll need to also take the wind rating of the area into account, as you can expect a certain amount of uplift. If you want to be completely certain of your numbers, I suggest you contact an engineer. If you have had a soil test on the property and have plans for the deck (even sketch plans showing dimensions will do) he can give you a legally-binding recommendation. Small cost for peace-of-mind.

pharmaboy2
25th November 2005, 05:17 PM
I suggest you call your local council and talk to them about specs, last you want is to be digging the bugger up.

maybe you have a nice council in Albury, we'd get a name? address?, size? - oh you need council approval for that! If its less than $10,000, you only need drawings and an engineers report and its only a $600 approval fee.....

Helpful councils - those were the days..............

400*400*600 deep cant go wrong with a brick square, but I'd seriously consider the above advice of stirrups and posts - more accurate and good pest control.