PDA

View Full Version : Guitar amp cabinet finsih

rockadile
11th September 2020, 09:49 PM
Hi all,
I know this could be in the musical instrument section, but its more of a cabinet finish in my eyes.

Can anyone provide advice on a finish that suits a guitar amp cabinet that will be subjected to transport and generally being knocked around a bit.
I'm looking for a transparent gloss finish. This is a home workshop project, so no professional facilities for finishing.

Any recommendations would be appreciated.
Cheers!

dinosour
11th September 2020, 10:07 PM
Not a finishing expert, but it would use a finish that is repairable/ touch up with out too much work and I personally would not use a gloss for this application.
Hope you get some more real expert opinions. All the best with the project

Fluddman
12th September 2020, 10:17 AM
Looks like a Tweed Deluxe or a Champ cabinet - why not finish in tweed or tolex?

Any gloss finish is going to get scratched the first time you take it to a gig.

Cheers

aldav
12th September 2020, 10:29 AM
We're not talking fine furniture here (no offence intended) so something tough and easy to apply is the way to go. What about a water based polyurethane, you could use gloss but, as others have suggested a satin or even lower gloss might be better. For the best result sand to 240 grit, raise the grain with a sanding sealer (even water will do for this), light sand to 400 grit, dilute the finish 10 to 1 with water and wipe on with a clean cotton cloth. Two or three coats with a light sand between coats should do.

A light sand does not involve using any muscle and consists of a maximum 2 passes with the paper.

old1955
12th September 2020, 02:06 PM
Welcome to the forum.

rockadile
12th September 2020, 03:36 PM
Thanks all, I'll go with the wipe on poly after staining.

rockadile
12th September 2020, 03:42 PM
It's a 10" champ cab and want something a little different, so going with stain and clear finish. I'm not too bothered about it getting a bit of mojo from being knocked around.:U
Cheers

China
12th September 2020, 05:03 PM
Rustins Plastic Coating

jack620
12th September 2020, 05:15 PM
I finished my Fender Princeton 5f2 clone with water-based poly.

aldav
12th September 2020, 07:05 PM
Just a thought, if you're using water based poly make sure you use a spirit stain, not a water based one. Big mess otherwise. :(

ciscokid
4th November 2020, 11:09 PM
I finished this 35 watt black walnut V-front with oil and wax. While I do not lug it around, should it get scuffed the finish is easily repairable.