PDA

View Full Version : Jarrah finish

yoboseyo
22nd April 2020, 12:57 AM
I know there has been a few threads for this in the past, but I'm new to finishing so there's a lot to digest.

I'm finishing a jarrah indoor stand. I'm looking for something that's going to make the relatively uniform grain "pop". I don't have a preference between oil-based and water-based finishes. I haven't decided whether I want a matte or glossy finish, and if gloss is just a protective layer on top of another finish, I'd consider it. I'm after something relatively doable for a beginner, but I'm not adverse to learning.

Any recommendations?

havabeer69
22nd April 2020, 03:48 PM
odies oil. comes from american but is dead simple to use, you just rub the stuff in, and just wipe it off after and hour or so.

it doesn't "coat" the wood but soaks into it to protect, but comes up great.

yoboseyo
22nd April 2020, 07:04 PM
odies oil. comes from american but is dead simple to use, you just rub the stuff in, and just wipe it off after and hour or so.

it doesn't "coat" the wood but soaks into it to protect, but comes up great.Anything similar that is available locally? My research shows that's it's quite the one-size-fits-all solution, but it's just a mixture of different oils. Perhaps it can be made?

Also, is it glossy, or can become glossy with more coats, or do you have to put another protective layer on it?

LGS
22nd April 2020, 07:26 PM
You could consider Hard Burnishing Oil. It will give you a robust finish, with a semigloss shine, which can be bumped up to give a glossy finish. Looks good and makes the grain "pop". It involves using a Random Orbital Sander and several grits of sanding discs. The finish is highly resistant to stains, water, heat and wear and tear.

Regards,

Rob

barri
22nd April 2020, 07:45 PM
I know there has been a few threads for this in the past, but I'm new to finishing so there's a lot to digest.

I'm finishing a jarrah indoor stand. I'm looking for something that's going to make the relatively uniform grain "pop". I don't have a preference between oil-based and water-based finishes. I haven't decided whether I want a matte or glossy finish, and if gloss is just a protective layer on top of another finish, I'd consider it. I'm after something relatively doable for a beginner, but I'm not adverse to learning.

Any recommendations?

I always use danish oil with Jarrah. 3 coats wiped on then the excess wiped off, wait 24 hours between coats then 2 coats with wet and dry 600 grit sandpaper with the slurry wiped off, wait 24 hours between coats, wait a few days for the DO to cure then a coat of wax applied with 0000 steel work and buff. the result is always a glass like finish and the grain "comes to life"

BTW I make my own DO. 1/3 polyutherane, 1/3 turps, 1/3 boiled linseed oil or tung oil. Much cheaper than buying it ready made

aldav
22nd April 2020, 07:50 PM
If you want it shiney use the HBO and then finish with UBeauts EEE Ultra Shine. Sand to 600 grit before the HBO and apply HBO with 000 or 0000 steel wool. Not too much effort for a first class effect. :2tsup:

barri
22nd April 2020, 08:15 PM
What's HBO other than a channel on pay TV?

LGS
22nd April 2020, 08:35 PM
HBO (Hard Burnishing Oi) is effectively Tung Oil with some secret herbs and spices. I have a lot of furniture that has been finishes in HBO. Some are now 15 years old and still as good as new. The degree of gloss is really up to you. It depends on the sanding and polishing regimen you follow. I've tested boiling water, red wine after 24 hours, boiling water and a number of other agonists on the finished result. It's my go to finish, though occasionally I use a different finish on peculiar timbers. Clean with "Spray and Wipe" type cleaners. It's robust, has a pleasant smell and is very forgiving.

yoboseyo
22nd April 2020, 10:19 PM
You could consider Hard Burnishing Oil. It will give you a robust finish, with a semigloss shine, which can be bumped up to give a glossy finish. Looks good and makes the grain "pop". It involves using a Random Orbital Sander and several grits of sanding discs. The finish is highly resistant to stains, water, heat and wear and tear.

Regards,

Rob

Is the process coat, sand, coat, sand with finer grit, rinse, repeat until desired glossiness?

What grit do you go up to? My finished piece is sanded to 220. What RO disc grits are available? Carbatec has up to 320. Is it a big difference using RO for finishing and sanding by hand or 0000 steel wool?

LGS
23rd April 2020, 03:29 AM
Hi,
Typically,
1. I would dry sand 100 to,220,320 and 400. Then you can rub the surfaces down with a dry cloth. This will give a very smooth surface on which you can add the oil

2 Add the oil to the surface. The trick here is to have a wet but not saturated surface. I usually add the first coat, then wait 5 minutes and add some more oil, (but not too much) so that you get a wet surface

3. Begin sanding with the Random Orbital sander using the 400 grit pad. Sand until the oil has penetrated, giving a dirty looking pasty look. DO NOT WIPE THE SURFACE DOWN>Change to the next sanding pad. I use an up and back technique. 10 strokes up and 10 strokes back. The grits I use for burnishing the oil are 400,500, 800, 2000 and 4000. (This is the minimum number of pads. If you are not satisfied with the look, try using slightly less oil).

4. Proceed up through the grits to 400 DON'T WIPE DOWN THE SURFACE along the way..

5. When you reach the highest grit you want to use, you should have a surface that has blotches of oil and sanding residue.

6. Rub down the surface with a soft cotton cloth. (The bag of rags that Bunnings or Paint shops will have are fine).

7. Your surface should look like the Red Gum table I showed you in my last post. If it doesn't, then resand with the 4000 grit and rub down with a soft cotton cloth.

That's all there is to it. If it doesn't work, post your results and I'll try and solve the problem.

Regards,

Rob

yoboseyo
23rd April 2020, 10:33 AM
Hi,
Typically,
1. I would dry sand 100 to,220,320 and 400. Then you can rub the surfaces down with a dry cloth. This will give a very smooth surface on which you can add the oil

2 Add the oil to the surface. The trick here is to have a wet but not saturated surface. I usually add the first coat, then wait 5 minutes and add some more oil, (but not too much) so that you get a wet surface

3. Begin sanding with the Random Orbital sander using the 400 grit pad. Sand until the oil has penetrated, giving a dirty looking pasty look. DO NOT WIPE THE SURFACE DOWN>Change to the next sanding pad. I use an up and back technique. 10 strokes up and 10 strokes back. The grits I use for burnishing the oil are 400,500, 800, 2000 and 4000. (This is the minimum number of pads. If you are not satisfied with the look, try using slightly less oil).

4. Proceed up through the grits to 400 DON'T WIPE DOWN THE SURFACE along the way..

5. When you reach the highest grit you want to use, you should have a surface that has blotches of oil and sanding residue.

6. Rub down the surface with a soft cotton cloth. (The bag of rags that Bunnings or Paint shops will have are fine).

7. Your surface should look like the Red Gum table I showed you in my last post. If it doesn't, then resand with the 4000 grit and rub down with a soft cotton cloth.

That's all there is to it. If it doesn't work, post your results and I'll try and solve the problem.

Regards,

Rob

Cheers,

Where do you get 4k RO pads from?

cava
23rd April 2020, 10:33 AM
Hi Rob,

A quick question if I may. When using HBO on smaller projects such as a keepsake box etc is it better (easier) to apply the HBO prior to cutting up the pieces, or on the finished project.

George

aldav
23rd April 2020, 11:57 AM
Also what brand of HBO do you use. Thanks.

LGS
23rd April 2020, 12:10 PM
Festool dealers, Sandpaper Man are two I know carry them. But you could check Bunnings I guess. (sorry about the pics. Though the dark red box lid is Jarrah after having oil applied.)

Regards,

Rob

plt43
24th April 2020, 06:34 AM
You polished the cat ?
Just kidding - obviously not with that matte finish....

But Rob's demonstrated his method to me and it really works - the finish is adjustable for gloss and veeery hard wearing.

phil

LGS
24th April 2020, 06:39 AM
Organoil is the brand. Made in Australia.

LGS
24th April 2020, 06:46 AM
It's easier to do the inside surfaces while the box is not glued up. Just be careful not to get oil all over the joint surfaces. Larger projects like Tables and such can be oiled at the end, but again, it seems to be easier to oil each part of the project before assembling.

Regards,

Rob

clear out
25th April 2020, 09:28 AM
After using the cat as a polishing rag how do you get the oil etc off the cat.
Also wot do you do about the scratches up your arms.
H.

LGS
25th April 2020, 11:15 AM
:U Wash up is done with Turps.

:UAs for the cat, best wipe it down too, but I suggest you feed it a couple of cans of it's favourite food, then, when it falls asleep try and wipe the Turps off with soapy water. Remember to wear a good strong pair of leather gloves and leather apron as well.

Regards

Rob

However, do not try this at home. The cat will likely become very ill and require Veterinary treatment.or die THIS IS ONLY A JOKE

yoboseyo
5th April 2021, 03:43 PM
Hi,
Typically,

Regards,

Rob

Hey mate,

I tried this technique. I found that the surface quickly filled with gunk, which clogged up the pads. I'm not sure whether that's your definition of pasty, but I'm not sure that the pads were having an effect when it's gunk on gunk. Any tips?

cava
5th April 2021, 09:50 PM
LGS is no longer on the forum. My understanding is that he passed away recently.

plt43
10th April 2021, 07:23 AM
damn - top bloke....

derekcohen
10th April 2021, 11:18 AM
Yes, sorry to hear about LGS.

This is an older thread. Just to add my 2 cents ... try Ubeaut Hard Shellac. I mix it 1:4 with meths from Bunnings. Paint or rub it on to a 240-400 grit sanded or hand planed surface, denib with 400 grit (hand held). Three coats, finish with your favourite wax, and you have a sublime surface.

Regards from Perth

Derek

yoboseyo
10th April 2021, 01:03 PM
LGS is no longer on the forum. My understanding is that he passed away recently.

sad to hear :(

sir nic
12th April 2021, 02:53 PM
sad to hear :(

Very sad to hear. Rob was very helpful and generous with his time..

ubeaut
13th April 2021, 07:11 PM
As a very late response for anyone using the info supplied by LGS (Rob) above in this post.

If you are using a ROS (Random Orbital Sender (which you should be)) for burnishing the oil:

Do not use abrasive discs that have dust extractor holes.
Use no hole Wet & Dry velour/loop backed abrasive discs .
Do not have vacuum/extractor attached to sander.
The above may save your ROS from clogging with oil and dust.
You should ideally add oil and burnish it with finer and finer grits over a period of time. Finishing off with at least 2000 grit or above.
Save your last finest abrasive disc even if fully clogged and glazed with the oil.
This saved, clogged, disc can be used to burnish the surface again, if later on the surface dulls off as it sometimes does

Hope this is of some help to anyone wishing to try Robs method.

Cheers Neil :U

PS If you're having trouble getting the finer abrasive discs try Smith & Arrow or The Sandpaper Man both listed in the right hand Forum Sponsors column.
:2tsup:

plt43
14th April 2021, 07:53 AM
PS If you're having trouble getting the finer abrasive discs try Smith & Arrow or The Sandpaper Man both listed in the right hand Forum Sponsors column.
:2tsup:

Thanks Neil !
However Smith & Arrow only seem to have up to 800 grit (in 125mm size), and Sandpaperman tops out at 1500 in hook&loop. Is foam-backed ok to get to 2000 ?
cheers
phil

yoboseyo
4th June 2021, 08:22 PM
I've been working on burnishing technique using LGS's method. I've been getting more of a matte finish than a glossy finish. I was wondering if anyone has any input.

I've been letting the residue build up after successive grits and not wiping it off. However, instead of turning into an oily slurry, it dries out and becomes more of a gunk and I'm not sure whether it's actually polishing. The residue layer on the pad gets quite thick and dry too, so I'm not whether any actual sanding is happening either.

Should I be applying oil throughout the process?

Chesand
5th June 2021, 01:26 PM
Try adding a little oil to the sanding disc NOT the timber. Just dab a little on the disc from a damp rag.