PDA

View Full Version : Floor Wax ?

zenwood
5th November 2005, 06:05 PM
Spent today sanding the floor of the central high-traffic area of the house.

I can't apply polyurethane, because it will never be free of traffic long enough to dry.

My question is, what's a finish that will protect the wood, be fast drying, and won't matter if it gets "spread around" a bit from foot traffic.

I was thinking of wax. Can you get special waxes for floors?

Ot does anyone have any other ideas?

If wax: what's a good way of applying it to a floor?

custos
5th November 2005, 09:09 PM
I can't recommend highly enough a finish we had on our floors called BonaTech Mega (do a web search for info and suppliers). It's a one-pack, water based finish, no smell, dries in 2-3 hours, as or more durable than 2 pack poly... it's just fantastic stuff. Even when it does get scratched you can sand a patch lightly and touch it up, unlike 2 pack.

I have no affiliation, just a very happy user.

RufflyRustic
5th November 2005, 11:21 PM
Wax - wood floors - high traffic. Zenwood, the only thing that comes to mind is sock sliding!!!! :o Sorry, I've always wanted to try it, but not enough wood floors at my place yet.

cheers
Wendy

zenwood
6th November 2005, 07:54 AM
I can't recommend highly enough a finish we had on our floors called BonaTech Mega
Thanks custos. Done a search: looks like great stuff. Even found an SA supplier.

zenwood
13th November 2005, 05:18 PM
All kudos to custos:): Bona Mega is a superb product. Goes on really easily (with a roller), dries quickly, and forms a nice hard surface. Put primer and first coat on yesterday, and final coat today, and here's the result (ignore my woeful floor sanding results).

Heaps better than the old carpet that was becoming rotten and threadbare, and the old floor complete with white paint spots and paint-tin rings.