PDA

View Full Version : Scandinavian Oil too yellow

Sam07m
3rd March 2019, 11:30 AM
I sanded back an old cabinet, once sanded the wood color was quite light. I have applied a thick coat of Scandinavian Oil and while it has brought out the grain nicely, the oil has caused the wood to go white yellow. What can I do to reduce the yellow tint? Is there something I ca apply that will change the color? I want the wood to be more neutral.

elanjacobs
3rd March 2019, 08:07 PM
Pics? Any idea what the timber is?

LGS
4th March 2019, 01:02 AM
Hi,
I'm with Elan. Also, how old is the oil? Who makes the product and have you seen this on other timbers(being specific if possible)

Sam07m
4th March 2019, 09:00 AM
Pics? Any idea what the timber is?
No idea of the wood we were given the cabinet
I have attached a picture
the oiled pic is after it was freshly oiled it has not lightened much

Sam07m
4th March 2019, 09:05 AM

elanjacobs
7th March 2019, 09:58 PM
Looks pretty normal to me :shrug:

pictureman
9th March 2019, 01:29 PM
Looks like pine to me. I doubt weather or not you will get rid of the yellowing,but I would think you would have to change the colour before lacquering it.

AngelaPetruzzi
15th March 2019, 02:54 PM
Its definitely not pine. Lovely timber markings though. Its pretty normal for a clear oil but if you did want it lighter and would go through the trouble of sanding it again, the Kunos natural oil sealer in the white stain would certainly keep it lighter.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
15th March 2019, 03:24 PM
Rather than say "it's not pine" I'll say it's definitely not radiata.

It could easily be Cypress Pine... if it's old enough that the makers could have sourced old growth trees. Not long ago I restored an "heirloom" CP dining table that had very similar grain & colour. Once you're familiar with the properties of CP - mainly it's scent - it's hard to mis-identify.

With time your piece will probably darken to a more golden colour... but that'll take years.