PDA

View Full Version : Lights going crazy

dusteater
21st February 2019, 01:45 AM
I have a friend whose lights in their house are playing up, you turn one light on in the kitchen and it flashes on and off then you turn on the other light and the other one goes off, in the bedroom you turn on one light and it`s a dim glow and then turn on the other one or the outside light on the same switch board and the first one becomes bright , there are other lights she said she has issues with, the house is about 45 years old. I`m no sparky and all I could do was check the wiring in the switches and had a good look around in the ceiling for rodent damage.Could it be a bad earth connection ? Thought someone might be able to shed some light :o on the problem . Cheers

BobL
21st February 2019, 05:54 AM
When that happened to us it turned out to be an intermittent short in an old switch. Does the house have an RCD - when this happens any RCD will usually trip.

Pete57
21st February 2019, 08:06 AM
Bad connections can get hot. Not something you want in you house walls or ceilings. Recommend getting it sorted ASAP.
And remember to turn off power before getting into ceiling just in case a rodent has left some bare wires.

rwbuild
21st February 2019, 08:08 AM
Get an electrician to check everything, very few people get a second chance with electricity, remember that poor girl in Perth, on assisted life support for the rest of her life

Chesand
21st February 2019, 08:51 AM
:wts::wts:

cava
21st February 2019, 09:26 AM
As above, get it checked out by a qualified electrician ASAP.

DavidG
21st February 2019, 11:11 AM
DISCLAIMER

No liability is accepted by UBeaut or the Wood Working Forum's administrators
or moderators for advice offered by members posting replies
or asking questions regarding electrical work.
We strongly advise contacting a Licensed Tradeperson for all electrical work.

WARNING

Information supplied within posts is not to be considered as detailed formal instructions to complete a task.
Members following such information do so at their own risk

dusteater
21st February 2019, 12:12 PM
I definitely turned off ALL the power before I had a snoop around, that`s as far as I`m willing to venture and will be advising her to get a pro, just curious as to cause.