PDA

View Full Version : Sealing and Preserving Driftwood

Dragonrider
1st February 2019, 01:32 AM
Greetings Everyone,
I am a new member so I hope I do things properly. I have a piece of Driftwood that has been drying for 2 years and I now want to seal and preserve it. This piece was found in 4 feet of water lying on the bottom. What makes it so interesting is that not only has it obviously been in a bonfire (it has significant charring over parts of its' "body.", but the wood looks remarkably like an Eel or other type of Sea Creature. From the "Mouth" to the knot "Eye" to the "Fin" on the back. Nothing has been cut or modified in any way. It is exactly as found. It is covered with worm holes and crevasses everywhere. Thus my question. I doubt that using a brush or even a spray would cover and seal it adequately. So I am thinking of basically submerging it in whatever I end up using. It is about 16 inches long. My ultimate goal is to mount it on a nice piece of wood and hang it in my game room. So... my 2 questions are:

Is submerging it the best way to seal this and make sure it is adequately coated? If so, should it hang to dry?
What do you recommend I use to seal it with? A varnish? Lindseed Oil?

I really have no idea and could use some help. Thanks to anyone who takes the time to help.

artful bodger
1st February 2019, 01:37 PM
No point in sealing it with anything if it is going to be kept in a games room.
A sealing coat will also darken it.

artful bodger
2nd February 2019, 07:38 PM
Welcome to the forum too!.

Christos
3rd February 2019, 10:57 AM
If i was to seal it I would use an oil. No varnish.

I have seen a few pieces that do not seem to have a finish applied and wondered about them. They were almost white.