PDA

View Full Version : Gluing a BATHROOM mirror

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2005, 05:55 PM
One of my current projects is a mirrored cabinet in a bathroom. Due to cost restraints it has been made of MDF. (I know, I know...) I'm recessing mirror panels into the doors, which will be primed and painted before installing the mirrors to minimise water damage. I'll probably use an acrylic rather than a water-base for the same reason.

My question: what is the best adhesive to use for the mirrors? I've done a search but nothing applying to wet areas was found, dammit. Nothing I'd trust, anyway. ;)

It must adhere to the paint as well as the mirror, of course. Strength isn't vital, the mirrors are inset so it only needs to stop 'em from falling out, not support their weight. The room is badly vented, so I'm avoiding water-based adhesives such as PVA as well.

Silicone is out; I used to use it but discovered it eats the silvering over the course of a few years. Selleys Aquadhere is out for similar reasons. I think there's a compound designed specifically for this purpose but I haven't found anything on the shelves at Bummies, Mitre10 etc...

Help?

Barry_White
16th October 2005, 06:14 PM
I don't know if this helps.

http://www.burkesbackyard.com.au/2003/archives/2003/home_among_the_gum_trees/around_the_home/garden_mirrors

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2005, 07:43 PM
It didn't, of itself, but it did give me a link to something that did. I think.

Selleys Liquid Nails - Mirror & Metal fomulation. I wonder why my Bunnies doesn't stock it?

http://members.optusnet.com.au/~amcardle60/Smilies/thanks_sign.gif

ozwinner
16th October 2005, 07:46 PM
I'll probably use an acrylic rather than a water-base for the same reason.

Isnt it the same stuff??

Al :confused:

Skew ChiDAMN!!
16th October 2005, 08:05 PM
Isnt it the same stuff??

'Twas a brain-fart. I put it down to low blood-sugar; it's nearly feeding time here at the zoo.

I meant I'll be using an oil-based...

AndrewPatrol
16th October 2005, 09:47 PM
I've used "neutral cure" silicone on heaps of mirrors. Put small circles (for suction) of it on back of mirror and use props to hold it up while going off and/or masking tape

scooter
16th October 2005, 10:04 PM
Fuller make a construction type adhesive that is suitable for mirrors also, I think it's their Power Bond. Bunnings should have it.

Could even use it for the mirrors on the ceiling... :eek:

Cheers........Sean, reflected glory ;) :o

Trav
16th October 2005, 11:07 PM
I've used a neutral cure silicon as well. 5plus years later there have been no problems with the mirror losing its silver coating.

And mirrors on the ceiling - now you're talking sean! :D

Trav

JohnM
17th October 2005, 12:26 AM
Make sure those ceiling mirrors are well secured. If they shake loose :eek: :eek: :eek:

Theremin
17th October 2005, 11:00 AM
We used double sided tape to hang a full length mirror on the painted wall in our WIR. Got it from Bunnings, in the picture hanging section from memory. Just make sure you get the thick stuff (it's about 1mm thick).

scooter
17th October 2005, 11:11 PM
To quote Sam Newman, after I installed the ceiling mirrors in the bedroom, I woke up one day and thought I was about to be landed on by a nude skydiver...

Cheers...........Sean, recycler :)

mic-d
20th October 2005, 03:24 PM
double sided tape and neutral cure silicone is pretty standard. tape holds it until the silicone is set. To get a mirror nice and level it helps to hotglue a level ledger (eg a little alum angle) where you want the base of the mirror to be, then you can just concentrate on sticking it up.

Cheers
Michael