PDA

View Full Version : Kitchen benchtops

fencepost
12th October 2005, 04:24 PM
Hi all, I have older laminate over chipboard benchtops in the kitchen that are looking a bit worse for wear and a horrible colour. In looking to replace them i saw on a bhg website about covering over with laminex panels. Problem is i can't find anyone in NZ who will sell it to non tradies. Is it a trade only product?

Trav
12th October 2005, 05:55 PM
Not in Australia. Have a look at this site - they may be able to direct you to someone.

http://www.formica.co.nz/product-info.aspx?product=24

Trav

fencepost
12th October 2005, 09:01 PM
Cheers Trav. I have sent them an email and hopefully they can tell me where I can purchase.
If I have to buy complete new laminate over chipboard tops, what is the best way to cut them? Run 9 tenths through from the bottom with a skill saw then finish off with a laminate trimmer in the router? What about the masons mitre?
cheers

Trav
13th October 2005, 10:04 AM
They should sell the laminate in big sheets. Normally you can just score and snap, leaving a bit over that you trip with a laminate trimmer. I can't see why they would make you buy it already fixed to chipboard.

Trav

Iain
13th October 2005, 06:56 PM
Some of the laminate is thin and flexible for the rounded edge chipboard, I think it is something of a black art fixing it without the right equipment.