PDA

View Full Version : Shower Screen Costs

spartan
10th October 2005, 11:21 AM
Hi,

I'm looking at putting a couple of frameless showerscreens in my soon to be new bathrooms.

I've had a one company come back to and say that they will be about $1800 installed for 10mm toughed glass.

Anyone have any experience with these type of screens who can tell me if this is a reasonable price.

I asked if the price was negotiable and a got a polite 'No'. I intend to ring around a bit more, but interesting when I mentioned this, the only point the salesperson added was that make sure I am comparing apples with apples as a lot of people do 6mm glass.

Interesting at any rate

davidt
10th October 2005, 11:52 AM
Spartan,

the price for frameless shower screens will vary depending on whether the installation is custom or prefab. When I was looking, custom screens were about $1600 - $2200 for a nominal 900 by 900 screen (approx 2000 high) installed. We went eventually for a prefab frameless screen (900x900) in 10mm toughened gass (to Aust Standard) for the much more acceptable $699 (we also paid $150 to have it installed - highly recommended). The difference between custom and prefab only comes down to how plumb & square your walls and floors are - the prefab screens cannot be modified (at all, because they're toughened). The custom screens are made for the space (including wonky walls, fall on the floor etc). I made my renderers & tilers lives' hell to ensure that the space was close to plumb and square, and I'm happy with the end results. (minor variances ~10mm can be fixed with silicone).

David

Simomatra
10th October 2005, 11:54 AM
Hi Spartan

I am in the same boat at the moment.

Best quote I have is from Brian Grant's at Bundamba Sales person Grant

Semi frameless 10 mm toughened glass $380 measured and installed

Also best price for vanities

This is for the door only not sides

Brian Grant
32 Brisbane Road
Bundamba 4304
Ph 07 3282 1033

Cheers Sam
http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gifhttp://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon10.gif

bitingmidge
10th October 2005, 12:20 PM
If $1,800 is for a couple of frameless shower screens, it's probably reasonable!! :eek:

A second or third quote will tell.

I've never seen a 6mm frameless setup (not to be confused with "semi-frameless", but it would be a bit scary!

Cheers,

P

:D

juliussee
10th October 2005, 01:04 PM
Hi Guys

I bought a New frameless shower screen 8mm toughened 900 x 900 x 2000 Aust std with all accs for $419 off eBay, thought it was good. Still have to put in in though.

Auspiciousdna
10th October 2005, 01:08 PM
I saw a drop in shower cubical in a factory outlet for around $800 not too long ago, with top quality tapes, shower nozzle and frameless glass screen; it was a real good product for that coin! $1800 to me seems a touch tropical!

Bodgy
10th October 2005, 05:22 PM
I think thats the going rate quoted by Simomatra. I put in a semi frameless recently for about $450 I think (Sydney premium). It was an unusual size but only one side of the enclosure - the rest of the cubicle was tiled. I wanted an unframed version but the cost almost tripled. I did some research and it seems that the hinges etc cost a fortune and the glass is more expensive when having to bear the weight without framing.

I think there's only a few manufacturers. Our supplier, a glass vendor, made no secret that the screens came from a manufacturer and he only installed. I thought about buying the glass and sourcing the fittings etc myself, but gave up cause it was too risky - ie cracking it when trying to drill holes.

I just paid up. Looks good tho

spartan
10th October 2005, 05:24 PM
Got a second quote, from a company not too interested in selling anything based on their poor customer service. They said $1900 each, at least the first company said $1300 for the one with a half return.I will keep investigating.

Gaza
10th October 2005, 05:50 PM
The patch fittings ie hinges and wall brackets cost over $150.00 ea for Aust approved quality from brands such as Hettich.

There are cheap asian stuff around now inlcd the fittings, most semi framless with bases come in from china,

Full framless is big dollars but not required for a small bathroom, If going full framless do a custom tile patten that goes all the way though the bathroom making use of the no hob.

NB, as is framless the waterproofing requriments change if you are not doing full floor waterproofing.

spartan
11th October 2005, 09:22 PM
After doing some research and talking to everyone out there regarding this...i'm think the ACCC needs to be called in. Virtually everyone quoted me the same price for frameless...$1900.

What I've decided to do is go frameless for my main bathroom and semi Frameless for my ensuite....the semi-frameless is 6mm glass and is $800.

This way I can spend more money on my stone vanity tops.

Waz

Bin J
11th October 2005, 10:09 PM
This way I can spend more money on my stone vanity tops.

Waz

Ooooh - that's something I'm interested in too! Where do you go for this? Would it be proper stone or engineered stone - what is the cost?

spartan
17th October 2005, 12:43 PM
I have granite in my kitchen, but I've decided to go for Caesarstone in the bathrooms.

For Gloss White two pack vinyl wrap cabinets, drop in bowl - 960 w by 900 h 1895
For my customer corner....900x600x850 2095.

I'm getting NightSky as the stone choice....