PDA

View Full Version : Conversion of 3 phase to single phase

Shedhand
22nd November 2017, 02:30 PM
Hey all. I’ve had to move out of my big shed. I had 3 phase connected to run my H&F 3 Ph, 5 HP Twin Filter Dusty. Unfortunately, I don’t have 3 phase at my new digs. I understand its possible to get a do-hickey thingy ma bob to allow 3 phase motors to run from a 240v power point. Can anyone advise what this thing might be, where I can get one and do i also need a higher amperage power point dedicated to it? Also, will it be a costly exercise.
thanks.
Mike

BobL
22nd November 2017, 03:25 PM
The Doo - hickey is called a VFD

It converts single phase to 3Phase (not the other way around as your thread title suggests)

Start by reading this thread.
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f271/vfd-install-summaries-213878

Cost will depend on whether the DC has a motor that can be converted to 240V Delta connection.
Take and post a photo of the motor name plate and we can tell you if this is possible.
If this is not possible you will need to change the motor over and for a DC this may be a big headache.
It may be just as difficult to swap the motor for a single phase motor as you will still need the power requirements mentioned below.

The advantage of a VFD and a 3P motor is you can spin the impeller faster using the VFD and three will provide more suck.

You will also need a 5HP VFD for a 5HP motor, this will require a 20A socket.
This is rare in most shed so you will have to have one installed - it needs its own breaker and cable.
Your shed also needs to have at least a 35A feed to it (20A for the DC and 15A for a machine for this to work).

This may require additional wiring to your new shed.
Then NOTHING is plug and play so unless you are comfortable working with mains power and wading through tech manual you will need a sparky $$$
Starts to add up real quick.

Shedhand
22nd November 2017, 04:47 PM
G’day Bob. Thanks for the info but reading the install summary made my eyes water. Hers a pic of the spec plate on my dusty motor.
Cheers
mike

BobL
22nd November 2017, 06:34 PM
Thanks for the info but reading the install summary made my eyes water.
An that's the simple version :D
As I said - it's rarely plug and play.

Sorry the name plate doesn't say what the connection is (usually they have either a "∆" [delta] or a "Y" [star])

Next step would be to disconnect the DC and take the cover off the mains connection box on the motor - sometimes it mentions ∆ or Y under the box cover.
Post a photo of the terminals in the connection box - sometimes that's enough to say if its ∆ or Y.

Shedhand
22nd November 2017, 10:26 PM
Here it is,.

BobL
22nd November 2017, 11:04 PM
The connections appear to suggest that the motor is a 415V delta connected motor and cannot be converted to a 240V delta motor so it can be run using a 240V SP VFD.

Unfortunately this means tThe motor needs to be swapped out.
On a machine which uses a pulley this is fairly straight forward as it does not need to have the same shaft size or mounting arrangement but a direct drive flange mount motor such as is found on a DC it has to be a exact fit.

I don't like your chances of finding anything suitable in the used motor stakes.
By the time you buy a new motor and the VFD and wire the shed to take a 20A circuit and outlet you might as well buy a new 3HP DC. You may still be up for a 15A circuit.

Shedhand
23rd November 2017, 01:37 AM
Damn and blast!!!😡
Just my luck. 😒
Looks like its back to eating dust for me then 😷. My penurious situation rules out buying another.
Anyway, thanks for the info Bob.
Regards
Mike.