PDA

View Full Version : NEW Bosch PBD 40 Bench drill

Pages : [1] 2

Xanthorrhoeas
17th November 2017, 05:53 PM
Some months ago my crowded workshop got the better of me so I decided to make some room. I sold my trusty H&F pedestal drill press on the marketplace to make some floor space. However, I still needed a drill press so I looked around. I decided to buy the Bosch PBD 40 bench drill press from the big green shed - the most convenient for me. It was $429.

It was simple to assemble out of the box. Fit the workpiece clamp to the column then fit the aluminium base to the column and tighten.

As well as the workpiece clamp shown at the bottom of the column it has a moveable aluminium fence that slots into grooves in the machined aluminium base. There is also a supplied zinc plated Allen key for assembly (both shown on the base).

bryn23
17th November 2017, 06:08 PM
I've got one of these as I'm limited for space.

Can't fault it for a small drill press, the variable switchable speeds are great

Xanthorrhoeas
17th November 2017, 06:12 PM
So, a few months down the track - how well does it work?

There are things that I really like about the PBD 40.

1. it is direct drive so no more slipping belts.
2. infinitely variable speed - just turn the dial. There is a speed range selector on the RHS, 1 or 2 for slow range or high range. Then just turn the lowermost knob to get the desired speed. There is a clear LCD readout.

424424 424425 424426
RHS speed range selector . Front showing speed LCD
Height adjustment wheel

3. The laser guide actually works - and works well. To operate the drill, after fitting your drill bit (below) you turn the big red knob one click to the right.That displays the speed and it also activates the laser button and the light button. The red ring is the laser. It provides bright, clear and accurate red cross hairs on the item to be drilled. The yellow ring is the LED light, which provides good illumination.

4. The sliding aluminium fence is pretty useful in some circumstances.

Then, some things take a bit of getting used to. The metal keyless chuck works differently to most keyless chucks that I have. Turning the lower portion opens the chuck jaws - as usual - but to lock the chuck closed you then have to move the red plastic rim one click sideways. It works, but some personal readjustment is necessary. I have had an issue with a bit becoming loose in operation, but that may well just be user error.

424427 424428 . There is a flip-up safety guard for the chuck that works well.

Xanthorrhoeas
17th November 2017, 06:19 PM
On the LHS of the drill there can be seen two red levers.

The lower lever locks the head in place on the column. The upper lever locks the built-in depth stop where you set it. Both work well.

One disconcerting aspect of my drill is that, as you rack the head down, the locking position does not move with it until the head gets close, then, with a loud bang, it jumps down to a new position. Scares the hell out of me every time.

I have not found much use for the workpiece holdfast. It seems pretty clunky to me and I prefer to use a drill press vise instead.

Bucky
18th November 2017, 07:40 AM
I also bought one. The first lasted about 2 months before it started playing up, started stopping and starting when running. Seemed almost like a DC motor with sticky brushes. Bunnings did replace it, at first they wanted to send it back for repair, after a heated discussion, the manager agreed to replace with a new one. 6 months down the track, all good. Apart from the issue with the first one, I'm happy with it.

MandJ
18th November 2017, 11:45 AM
On the LHS of the drill there can be seen two red levers.

The lower lever locks the head in place on the column. The upper lever locks the built-in depth stop where you set it. Both work well.

One disconcerting aspect of my drill is that, as you rack the head down, the locking position does not move with it until the head gets close, then, with a loud bang, it jumps down to a new position. Scares the hell out of me every time.

I have not found much use for the workpiece holdfast. It seems pretty clunky to me and I prefer to use a drill press vise instead.

That's adjustable, it's in the manual, column grease etc and temperature can make the friction adjustment change over time. Had mine for some time now, still working perfectly.

Xanthorrhoeas
18th November 2017, 12:07 PM
Thanks for that. It's clearly a case of 'when all else fails, read the manual!'

FenceFurniture
19th November 2017, 04:21 PM
David, are there things that you don't like? I would find the 90mm travel quite limiting. I wonder if it would be possible to actually get a bit more travel with some fooling around. That is, drill the first part of the hole to say 80mm depth, and then move the head down with the bit registered at the top of the hole, and then complete the drilling (for say another 20-30mm). Would that work?

Also, how do you find the torque in low gear? Gutsy enough?

Here is another review:
Bosch PBD 40 Review Great but not without flaws

Above link deactivated as site no longer exists. Ling lead to something completely unrelated and not appropriate.

MandJ
19th November 2017, 08:09 PM
In that review: I have no idea what he means by having to undo and re-tighten two hex screws to move and lock the drill head?? Those screws are only used to set the shaft holding friction, there is only one lever to turn in order to move the head height position relative to the table.

Most reviews talk about having to bolt or clamp this unit down as it's top heavy - ???????? - Every small bench top drill press I have seen requires the DP to clamped or bolted down, I have to wonder if these reviewers have ever reviewed / used a similar sized standard DP?

There's nothing wrong with the plastic locking levers AFAIKT. I lock the column up tight with the lever to remove any horizontal movement, I'd have to really lay into / abuse that lever for no good reason to have a chance of breaking / stripping it. IMHO the lack of strength compared to a lump of cast iron is far outweighed by the features of this nifty DP with variable speed, fabulous digital depth readout and quick setup. I never expected to drill thick steel plate or swing a 6" hole saw through 2" hardwood. For light metal work and moderate sized timber work I find it great.

I did a write up in January http://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/bosch-710w-corded-bench-drill-211213

FenceFurniture
19th November 2017, 09:02 PM
Most reviews talk about having to bolt or clamp this unit down as it's top heavy - ???????? - Every small bench top drill press I have seen requires the DP to clamped or bolted down, I have to wonder if these reviewers have ever reviewed / used a similar sized standard DP? Yeah that was kinda DUHH! When you say "large" forstners, what diameter do you mean by that (a large forstner to me is 40mm+).

How much rotation of the wheel is required to get the full 90mm travel?

One other thing - is there any indication in the manual about the torque rating? (I think I know the answer). The reason I ask is that I don't use a DP as such, but a reasonably high torque power drill in a Wabeco unit.

This is the unit in the "as delivered" set up before I added drill decks, DE etc. IIRC the drill has 65Nm of torque in low gear, and will do a tolerable job with a 57mm Forstner bit in MDF.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=228742&d=1319111977

MandJ
20th November 2017, 08:41 AM
I've been using up to 53mm forstner bits and so far only up to 100mm with hole saws. With these on the low speed (geared higher torque) setting I've had no problems and the electronic speed control has maintained the dialled in RPM pretty well. The biggest problem I see with large bits is the potential for uneven cutting pressure around the perimeter of the bit causing the lighter construction of the column and drill head mounting to tweak slightly, the results should be obvious especially at the start of a cut. I haven't had a problem with insufficient torque so long as feed rate, drill speed are sharpness are appropriate for the work and one keeps in mind the limitations of a smaller light weight DP and adjusts accordingly.

Feed wheel rotates around 300 deg - not quite a full revolution- I have no trouble using it but I'm 192cm, perhaps long arms has something to do with that.

BTW Love that cross slide table you have.

Xanthorrhoeas
20th November 2017, 10:22 AM
David, are there things that you don't like? I would find the 90mm travel quite limiting. I wonder if it would be possible to actually get a bit more travel with some fooling around. That is, drill the first part of the hole to say 80mm depth, and then move the head down with the bit registered at the top of the hole, and then complete the drilling (for say another 20-30mm). Would that work?

Also, how do you find the torque in low gear? Gutsy enough?

Hi FF, I am a light-weight user of the drill press so my review was just to give general users some idea of what I thought of the machine - which is that I am very pleased overall. My full-height pedestal drill press had less travel than this little drill - about 80 mm rather than the 90 mm of the Bosch. Yes, the travel could be limiting, except that I do exactly as you suggested and move the head down once the hole has reached "bottom". My biggest limitation is the length of my bits. I have some very long brad point bits for use on the lathe but they are too long for this drill. To date, the repositioning trick you mention has gotten me where I need to go. If I were stuck I would find a way to drill longer holes for most items on my VL300. After all, it rather like a variable speed, 3 hp, very solid horizontal drill press (as long as it is OK and possible to rotate the workpiece or possible to fix the workpiece to the tailstock or auxiliary banjo, which isn't very difficult to do with a homemade 'table' jig).

As with M&J I have not had any problem with torque. My H&F pedestal press was 750 w - only 40 w more than this drill. In fact, being direct drive I find I can drill much bigger holes more easily than with the H&F because that machine had belt tension/slip issues. Having to pull the belts off, sandpaper rough them and reinstall them was a pain. I was at the point of going upmarket to try to get better belts until I realised I needed the floor space more than I needed the pedestal.

The review that you linked was quite misleading in lots of ways. The plastic levers are quite strong enough in my experience, only gentle pressure is required to fix firmly in position. Likewise, the plastic locking ring on the chuck is very well protected and will most likely last the life of the drill press because of that.

What don't I like? Well, I am not fond of the chuck really. It seems clunky and awkward to me. A 'normal' keyless chuck would suit me better, but this one works and I suspect I will get so used to it that it isn't an issue any more. Also, the unit is light-weight, but while OK for me, it would not do for heavy duty work. But, it's not meant for milling or thick steel. When I had a business I purchased a heavy-weight, geared (not belt) drive unit for that kind of work.

However, everyone needs to evaluate what they need, no machine suits everyone. The set-up that you have looks great, especially that table. I protect the Al baseplate on the Bosch with some 3 mm ply and use a heavy steel drill press vise instead - nowhere near as good as your setup. On the other hand, the Bosch's clear speed readout, ease of setting exact, repeatable speeds and the excellent laser cross hairs suit my purposes very well - they may not be what everyone needs.

MandJ
20th November 2017, 10:50 AM
Just to add to that excellent reply, I would say the biggest plus for me is the ability to drill to the "exact" same depth every time with different bit and timber changes using that big clear and almost instant setup function of the inbuilt digital depth gauge.

Cheers.

Xanthorrhoeas
20th November 2017, 03:29 PM
I did a write up in January http://www.woodworkforums.com/f155/bosch-710w-corded-bench-drill-211213

Apologies, I missed that one. I probably would not have posted mine if I had seen it. I did search 'product reviews' before I posted. However, our two reviews combined (and linked by your post) give a nicely collaborative approach to a product review ... not bad since we've never met! I think you have had more use of your drill than I have of mine so its good to get that feedback too.

MandJ
20th November 2017, 04:53 PM
No apologies needed as it's good to get two perspectives, and ones that are pretty close. FYI I've actually pulled the unit apart to look at the build quality, it's quite a nicely built unit and not that hard to dismantle should the need ever arise.

Mike.

Cheers.

Gassy
15th December 2017, 12:33 PM
One other thing - is there any indication in the manual about the torque rating? (I think I know the answer). The reason I ask is that I don't use a DP as such, but a reasonably high torque power drill in a Wabeco unit.

This is the unit in the "as delivered" set up before I added drill decks, DE etc. IIRC the drill has 65Nm of torque in low gear, and will do a tolerable job with a 57mm Forstner bit in MDF.

Hmm, that setup would suit my needs exactly. Where did you get the bits for it (sans drill)?

FenceFurniture
15th December 2017, 01:38 PM
Direct from Wabeco in Germany. Freight was an issue (they wouldn't do what I wanted, so it cost a bloody fortune).

Baddabing
19th April 2018, 04:42 PM
Sounds like the Bosch will do me fine. I must say, for some reason I just hate changing belts. I get lazy and end up drilling at the wrong speeds. Thanks for the reviews & pictures...I am off the Bunnings as my old DP has just died on me. May it R.I.P

Xanthorrhoeas
28th April 2018, 10:02 AM
I hope it is working out well for you. I’m still very happy with mine.

Treecycle
27th May 2018, 07:09 PM
I find it surprising that the manufacturers of mainstream drill presses haven't converted to variable speed yet as it is such common place in other machinery such as lathes. It would be so much more convenient and encourage users to select an appropriate speed instead of compromising like most of us do.

FenceFurniture
27th May 2018, 08:09 PM
Dallas I think you'll find that they only respond to being whacked about the head (read wallet).
Sales will eventually drop and they'll ask each other around the lunch table "Why? We didn't change anything."
Yeah mate, that's exactly the problem.....you won't change anything.

fletty
1st June 2018, 05:37 PM
Note specifically to FF....
I’m having a senior’s moment, what was the brand of the pedestal and bench drill that we saw at Major Woodworking when we picked up my Chopstick maker? From memory, it had many of the Bosch features but, then again, I was SO excited by my new Chopstick maker that I may have missed the point :B?
I haven’t seen that unit come to market..... yet?
fletty

FenceFurniture
1st June 2018, 05:46 PM
I can't remember either.....

Here is their drill selection:
https://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/woodworking/drilling-and-mortising-machines/?limit=30

Was it this one? I can't even remember the features we thought were good. :doh:
https://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/woodworking/drilling-and-mortising-machines/gh-db20-drill-press-415/

Chris Parks
2nd June 2018, 12:16 AM
I find it surprising that the manufacturers of mainstream drill presses haven't converted to variable speed yet as it is such common place in other machinery such as lathes. It would be so much more convenient and encourage users to select an appropriate speed instead of compromising like most of us do.

There are some available in the US but sadly the brands are not marketed here or have very poor representation.

This one has variable speed and is POA. https://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/woodworking/drilling-and-mortising-machines/jet-jdp-2800vs-509/

FenceFurniture
2nd June 2018, 08:18 AM
It's a pretty good drill by all accounts Chris, and $1700 at Carbatec currently (https://www.carbatec.com.au/drilling-and-boring/jet-drill-press-floor-stand-single-carton).

P.W.H.
9th September 2018, 06:16 AM
I got this Bosch drill press just over a year ago, specifically to drill hinge cups for my new kitchen. Some youtube reviews
were slightly dismissive of the machine, so I went in with some trepidation.

However, I must say that my fears were unfounded. The laser crosshairs are fantastic for initial positioning
with a 32mm forstner bit (it works best if the bit is actually spinning, so the laser beams are not occluded by the bit).
The digital depth gauge is fantastic, and very accurate. To wit, I had to drill some hinge cups 11.5mm into 12mm ply - and I got it sorted. No break-through.
Best method I found is to zero the depth gauge on the surface of the workpiece, then lower the drill gradually with the wheel until the gauge shows the desired depth, then set the depth stop. But doing it while drilling works just as well.
The wheel for lowering the drill takes some getting used to - I fitted a 'wheel-spinner' like some truckers use and it's come in handy a time or two, but mostly I don't even need that.
Unlike some of the video reviewers, I have no slack (wobble) in the spindle bearings - I read some place that Bosch have improved the design. The chuck with the quick release is great, so long as you are aware of just how quick it lets go and catch your precious forstner bits before they fall on the base.
The only thing about it that I do not like is the column mounted clamping mechanism for the workpiece. It's awkward to engage and even more awkward to release. Actually had to tap it with a hammer to make it let go on one occasion. I just don't use it any more.

I've built a large-ish chipboard extension for the base so a 600x600 cabinet door is well supported and won't slither around on the slightly rough surface.
All up, I am very satisfied with this tool.

P.W.H.
9th September 2018, 06:17 AM
There are some available in the US but sadly the brands are not marketed here or have very poor representation.

This one has variable speed and is POA. https://www.majorwoodworking.com.au/woodworking/drilling-and-mortising-machines/jet-jdp-2800vs-509/

Sadly, the link has gone bad. They probably fiddled with the web site.

Xanthorrhoeas
16th January 2019, 10:02 PM
Not much drill press work lately (enjoying playing on the lathe and some learner/level carving) but had to do some precision drilling for an artwork my partner (wife) was making. The laser cross hairs made it so easy. Apart from the clunky chuck this unit remains perfect for me (and I can live with the chuck).

Baddabing
21st March 2019, 01:26 PM
I also bought one. The first lasted about 2 months before it started playing up, started stopping and starting when running. Seemed almost like a DC motor with sticky brushes. Bunnings did replace it, at first they wanted to send it back for repair, after a heated discussion, the manager agreed to replace with a new one. 6 months down the track, all good. Apart from the issue with the first one, I'm happy with it.

like most of you, I don't do a lot of drill press work, and mostly timber when I do. I bought one and it lasted about 9 months before it too started to stick and it eventually just stopped entirely. Bunnings exchanged, no questions asked which was great.

PROs: light, easy to move, vice works well, variable speed beats belt changes any day, laser spot on, light is helpful, depth stop works well too, 3 year warranty

Cons: Not a fan of the wheel, installed a steering wheel knob which makes it better to use, definitely not a trade quality unit. DIY only I would suggest. Not cheap I suppose.
Overall, really like it and would buy another

labrat
21st March 2019, 09:35 PM
I know the safety officer police will come after me but that safety shield was the first thing I removed as the first few times I used the drill it really annoyed me. I am of the belief that too much safety guarding can make many operations more difficult and as a result more dangerous. I am safety conscious to the point of being obsessive, but not all guarding adds to the safety of a process. It is only me using it in a home shop and if I ever decide to give the drill press away I still have the shield. All the best. All the best.

Baddabing
22nd March 2019, 03:28 PM
I know the safety officer police will come after me but that safety shield was the first thing I removed as the first few times I used the drill it really annoyed me. I am of the belief that too much safety guarding can make many operations more difficult and as a result more dangerous. I am safety conscious to the point of being obsessive, but not all guarding adds to the safety of a process. It is only me using it in a home shop and if I ever decide to give the drill press away I still have the shield. All the best. All the best.

me too... I hated that shield, it was so annoying

Chris Parks
22nd March 2019, 05:18 PM
I don't know about other users but every time I look at one of these drills the quill has noticeable movement in it so my money stays in my pocket.

Xanthorrhoeas
14th April 2019, 09:41 AM
Hi Chris,
Do you mean runout so that holes are oval?
I haven’t had that problem.
David

Chris Parks
14th April 2019, 11:02 AM
Every one of these drills I have looked at I can hold the chuck in my hand and then get detectable movement when I push it side to side and I can feel the movement without the use a dial indicator so it is substantial to be detectable in that manner. I guess I have tried four or five different drills since they were released so I posted that as a buyer beware and not as a don't buy. I can't condemn every drill but I would want to open the box and try before leaving the store.

FenceFurniture
14th April 2019, 12:35 PM
That may be the case for twist bits which have what you could probably call a "vague" centrepoint that can wander off, even in timber. For a Forstner bit or a Brad Point I would expect that once the point is embedded in the timber then it will stay on track.

Evidence of the latter can be found in my Wabeco rig (see post #10) which takes a normal power drill with a 43mm collar. Before a recent adjustment (thanks Tony) it had the equivalent of quill movement which was anything up to 2-3mm, but the holes were always circular (it was just a matter of whether they hit the right mark by 2-3mm :B:doh:)

P.W.H.
14th April 2019, 02:20 PM
Every one of these drills I have looked at I can hold the chuck in my hand and then get detectable movement when I push it side to side and I can feel the movement without the use a dial indicator so it is substantial to be detectable in that manner. I guess I have tried four or five different drills since they were released so I posted that as a buyer beware and not as a don't buy. I can't condemn every drill but I would want to open the box and try before leaving the store.

Mine is the exception to your experiences then: the spindle bearings are tight and there is no perceptible slack or {side to side} movement.
It's bang on, very steady looking at the tip of my forstner bits, and I've bored a lot of hingecups and knockdown fitting holes with it.
Having said that, I think your advice to open the box and check is probably 'bang on' under the circumstances.

Xanthorrhoeas
14th April 2019, 02:37 PM
Well, as I have said before, I am a pretty light-weight user of my drill press. However, its precision can't be faulted in my use. My precision can be faulted (far too often) but the drill does the right thing. Having said that, I checked mine today for side to side movement and, stationary, it is there indeed. Spinning and drilling I get no runout that I can measure.

I think that we have to remember that this is a relatively inexpensive little bench drill for amateur use. As such, it fits my needs because I am just an amateur, retiree woodworker. The accuracy of the laser cross hairs and operational repeatability are a big step up from the pedestal drill I used to own, and the digital, fully adjustable speed control leaves the belt change system for dead. But even the most cursory glance at this Bosch Green machine shows it's not a professional, heavy duty drill.

Chris Parks
14th April 2019, 03:49 PM
Well, as I have said before, I am a pretty light-weight user of my drill press. However, its precision can't be faulted in my use. My precision can be faulted (far too often) but the drill does the right thing. Having said that, I checked mine today for side to side movement and, stationary, it is there indeed. Spinning and drilling I get no runout that I can measure.

I think that we have to remember that this is a relatively inexpensive little bench drill for amateur use. As such, it fits my needs because I am just an amateur, retiree woodworker. The accuracy of the laser cross hairs and operational repeatability are a big step up from the pedestal drill I used to own, and the digital, fully adjustable speed control leaves the belt change system for dead. But even the most cursory glance at this Bosch Green machine shows it's not a professional, heavy duty drill.

All good points and if it does the job don't fix what ain't broke. I think the concept is a great one let down by the quill movement which is a shame.

GRK
18th June 2019, 01:58 PM
I've had one of these for four years now, and it takes a fair beating. I read the bit about side play in the quill, so went out and checked my machine. No sign of any play whatsoever, either by feel or sound - when I have some time I might check it out with a dial gauge to make sure. In use, always works without any issues.

What I like is the depth indicator (enables accurate hole depth) and the depth stop (effectively, with the stop unlocked, it moves down as you move the head down, when you get to the right depth, just lock it, no fiddling around with screws/nuts). Unit has plenty of torque - I use holesaws up to 120mm without missing a beat. Easy to control with variable speed control and high/low range gearing.

Would find it hard to go back to the old pedestal drill.

Gwhat
22nd June 2019, 06:07 PM
Hi All

FWIW I've had one of these for a year or so, absolutely love it. My only beef was the size of the table, great for metalworkers but limited as far as larger cabinet work goes. Seeing we sell our ProDrill Press Table (https://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/p/9304150/prodrill-press-table---915mm-fence.html) which was originally intended for conventional drill presses, I decided to tweak the design so it could be easily mounted on the Bosch. The 600mm wide table and 915mm fence make it far more suitable for panel work.

These will be available early July.

Apologies if I've hijacked this thread, but needed somewhere to pass on the news

Regards

Grahame

Xanthorrhoeas
22nd June 2019, 06:25 PM
Interesting. I have mine set on a wide bench so have had no issues. I will be interested to see a photo of it fitted to the Bosch though ... may be useful in the future. I haven't been making cabinets since the 'children' became adults and moved away - nowhere for cabinets to go. But if we end up living near them I'm sure the requests will start again.

David

Gwhat
23rd July 2019, 11:56 AM
Hi

The modified Drill Press Tables are ready to ship, they now work with both the Bosch PBD 40 and most conventional drill presses.

458435 458436 458452 458453

[They can be seen HERE (https://www.woodworksupplies.com.au/p/9304150/prodrill-press-table-v3.html)

Regards

Grahame

Old_Tom
23rd July 2019, 03:33 PM
I have had the Bosch PBD40 for about 2 years and love it. I am a occasional user in both wood and metal. I do have a bit of side movement (slight right kick) at one point when lowering the bit, but I got used to it now. I like the idea of not changing belt positions to vary speed, also it can be done on the run. I have got used to the chuck, but as others mentioned I had bits fall out of the chuck and drop on the tips when I was changing them.

Also like the inbuilt light and the laser centering indication.

When I want to use a long bit to drill holes in the end of a post or round wood I unbolt it from the bench, move it to the new position at the front edge of the bench. I undo the post locking screw for the base and turn the base 180 degrees, do up the post screw and re-bolt the base to my bench. Then I use some clamps to hold the timber. Little bit of fiddling, but works well. Also I don't do this often.

As I said it is a good drill for the price as long as you realise it is a DIYselfers drill.
Cheers, Tom458443

Xanthorrhoeas
23rd July 2019, 09:48 PM
That's a lovely neat workshop Tom. I wouldn't dare to show my bench!

I like the idea of rotating the unit to get more room for long bits. If it was a frequent need one could also have a secondary bench attached to the front of the main bench - it could simply be a hardwood beam on adjustable pegs or similar.

David

Old_Tom
24th July 2019, 01:20 PM
Trust me David, that bench is not always so clean. Cleaned it up a bit for the photo. I was considering some form of height adjustable bench (go below the bench top) in the front that folds down when not in use.:hmmm::unsure:

KahoyKutter
28th August 2019, 08:21 PM
I posted the following on the Marketplace but I thought it wouldn't hurt if I posted it on here as well:

Just a bit of a PSA, I found a great deal on Amazon Prime for the Bosch PBD 40 Bench Drill (https://www.amazon.com.au/gp/product/B07J3D5YDT/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_1?smid=ANEGB3WVEVKZB&psc=1). Previously, the best "street" price I could find was around AU$410. Amazon's current price is $246.42 which includes's free delivery for Prime members. The one downside I could find with this deal is according to the delivery info, the drill is "usually dispatched within 1 to 2 months". I wasn't in any real hurry so I was prepared to wait and Amazon don't deduct your credit card until the item is ready to be dispatched. The good news is I just got an email from Amazon stating the drill will be dispatched earlier than expected and the new estimated date of delivery is the 3rd of Sept (I placed the order last Saturday). I reckon that's a pretty good deal and I thought I'd share it with everyone.

Cheers,
Mike.

Old_Tom
29th August 2019, 12:21 PM
That's a great price mike. About half what I paid for mine at Bunnies!:weeping2:

KahoyKutter
29th August 2019, 02:20 PM
I agree, Tom. You can console yourself that that price wasn't available when you bought yours and you've had the use of the drill for however long you've had it. Just a month ago when I checked Amazon, the cheapest price they had it for was around $500 IIRC. I have no idea why the price has dropped so much in such a short time, but you know what they say, "Never look a gift horse in the mouth!". That's why I immediately pulled the trigger just in case they change the price back up.

Old_Tom
29th August 2019, 02:43 PM
You got it Mike! I've had mine for 2 years and I love it. I particularly like the idea of not having to change belt pulley positions to change the speed.

Lappa
29th August 2019, 08:37 PM
Not wanting to dampen the buy, but did you check with Bosch to see if it’s a genuine Bosch drill and that Bosch will honour warranty on it.?
Might check myself tomorrow and order one if it is genuine.

KahoyKutter
29th August 2019, 09:02 PM
Not wanting to dampen the buy, but did you check with Bosch to see if it’s a genuine Bosch drill and that Bosch will honour warranty on it.?
Might check myself tomorrow and order one if it is genuine.

No, I didn't. TBH, warranty isn't really something that I consider especially with online purchases because most of the time they've been from overseas and from my experience most things break down after the warranty period has lapsed. With this particular case, the seller is Amazon Oz themselves and not some supplier. I doubt that they would sell fake Bosch drills and Amazon have a good reputation for easy returns and good customer service (I think they offer free returns but I'm not sure). And being the Australian arm of Amazon, I would think that they would be subject to Australia's consumer laws like all Australian companies. But you could be right. Caveat Emptor and all that. All I'm doing is providing a lead. Everyone's responsible for all their purchasing decisions,

Cheers,
Mike

Lappa
29th August 2019, 10:32 PM
Thanks for the lead Mike.

FenceFurniture
29th August 2019, 11:18 PM
I would think that they would be subject to Australia's consumer laws like all Australian companies. Without question. But at that price....not a lot to lose anyway!

apple8
30th August 2019, 01:01 AM
Bargain price, thanks. Couldn't find this on the Bunnings website, maybe it's discontinued and being sold off.

KahoyKutter
30th August 2019, 01:12 AM
Bargain price, thanks. Couldn't find this on the Bunnings website, maybe it's discontinued and being sold off.

I think some Mitre10 stores may still have it. Their price is $419 IIRC.

- - - Updated - - -

But at that price....not a lot to lose anyway!

Totally agree.

woodsurfer
30th August 2019, 07:21 AM
wanted one for months , couldn't justify $400 plus , read this yesterday, one on its way, thanks Mike

KahoyKutter
30th August 2019, 08:28 AM
wanted one for months , couldn't justify $400 plus , read this yesterday, one on its way, thanks Mike

:2tsup:

Lappa
30th August 2019, 01:55 PM
Just rang Bosch Australia. Amazon au is an authorised distributor for Bosch Power Tools so all items sold by Amazon au are genuine Bosch and have full Bosch warranty. This MAY NOT be the case for “Bosch?” items sold by a third party selling through Amazon au.
The PBD40 is not a discontinued item.

Needless to say - I ordered one :D

Thanks again Mike for the heads-up

apple8
30th August 2019, 03:08 PM
Ok I caved in, just couldn't pass it up and ordered one too.

KahoyKutter
30th August 2019, 04:23 PM
Just rang Bosch Australia. Amazon au is an authorised distributor for Bosch Power Tools so all items sold by Amazon au are genuine Bosch and have full Bosch warranty. This MAY NOT be the case for “Bosch?” items sold by a third party selling through Amazon au.
The PBD40 is not a discontinued item.

That's all good info. Thanks Lappa.

pedrogb
30th August 2019, 06:24 PM
Bought one at Bunnnings for $350 a month or so ago, last one, no box. They said Bosch were discontinuing green tools, so I grabbed it. So far I like it. I like your price better.....
Extra warranty if you register it online apparently

KahoyKutter
30th August 2019, 07:08 PM
Extra warranty if you register it online apparently

Thanks for this info, Pedrogb. I'll be sure to register mine when it arrives. I already have a replacement handle for it......

pedrogb
30th August 2019, 07:36 PM
Did some mortise drilling the other day, the wheel is different but manageable. My old drill press had crap handles as well

pedrogb
30th August 2019, 07:51 PM
Did some mortise drilling the other day, the wheel is different but manageable. My old drill press had crap handles as well

Midnight Man
5th September 2019, 08:27 PM
Thanks for this info, Pedrogb. I'll be sure to register mine when it arrives. I already have a replacement handle for it......

I'd be keen to find out where you got this? It looks infinitely more usable than the wheel it comes with!

KahoyKutter
5th September 2019, 10:26 PM
I'd be keen to find out where you got this? It looks infinitely more usable than the wheel it comes with!

$23 from Hare & Forbes. Inside bore is 25mm and I believe the handwheel shaft on the drill is 19mm so I've ordered a 25mm aluminium pipe with 3mm wall thickness to use as a sleeve. It should bring it down to 19mm but this is all theoretical at this stage because I don't yet have the drill or the pipe. :D

apple8
7th September 2019, 02:31 PM
Price has gone up to $405, glad I jumped in when I did, so thanks again for the heads up kahoykutter. Mine is due for delivery on Monday.

woodsurfer
7th September 2019, 03:04 PM
Mine arrived yesterday, weeks ahead of original delivery date, took it for a run,I like it , and so lucky to get it for that price, thanks again

KahoyKutter
7th September 2019, 07:51 PM
So did mine. Now, if only that bloody aluminium tube would arrive just as quickly.....

Lappa
9th September 2019, 03:24 PM
Mine arrived today :2tsup:

justonething
9th September 2019, 08:24 PM
Mine arrived today :2tsup:
Same here. I didn't need one but wanted one....
Thanks for the heads up.

Lappa
10th September 2019, 05:49 PM
All mounted and ready to go. I utilised a metal GMC grinder stand I bought from the forum Marketplace

apple8
10th September 2019, 07:48 PM
Resourceful, what height is the stand? Mine turned up today, I’ve got it on the bench (90cm) while I have a play with it and found it a little low for sighting unless I was sitting on my long legged chair I made for grandkids when they were little. Probably need to mount about 110cm if I place it somewhere to stand.

Pretty impressed with with the operation, controls and the electronic depth gauge, laser centre seems a little bit out but i usually centre pop so no big issue there, there is a little play in the spindle as others have mentioned but holes seem ok for my purposes. Overall for a DIY machine and the price we paid I’m happy with the purchase.

botesmj1
10th September 2019, 08:22 PM
I have mine mounted on a raiser box.

https://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20190910/00371b245c7b0867927f36a35f848f9c.jpg

Sent from my BLA-L09 using Tapatalk

Lappa
10th September 2019, 08:34 PM
It’s 87cm to the bed which is a little low when fitting drill bits but not too bad when drilling. Thinking of getting it on a wheeled base so that will lift it 10cm which will be better.
Spindle play is minimal - I’ve certainly used more expensive ones that are worse. Laser is out about 1mm (wonder if it adjustable?) but I always centre punch as you do.
As you say, for the price it’s a good deal.

additional:

Found this link on adjusting the laser. Haven’t tried it so I can’t comment

YouTube (https://youtu.be/ZP400iBPCos)

apple8
11th September 2019, 02:31 PM
I noticed whilst looking at the rear of the drill that there was some marks on the cable at the cable clip. This is directly below the height adjustment and as the machine is operated the cable can rub on the bracket and when at rest and may or may not be an issue. I'm probably overthinking this but with a lot of use the cable may wear through and electricity and metal don't mix that well. A possible solution is a 10mm spacer to help keep it clear or a clip to bring the cable to the side, not very elegant but I'll give it a try as a temporary fix.

461207 461208 461209

Lappa
11th September 2019, 04:44 PM
The other problem is the cavities under the base plate- dropped a 1/16” drill bit down the centre hole when having a fiddle last night and it rolled to one side:(. Also the drilling swarf will gather under there.
The base pate only sits on the 4 corners, there is a very slight gap around the perimeter so I guess you could blow the swarf out but that’s messy. I’ve designed a swarf drawer that sits under the base plate - hope to have it done later in the week.

apple8
11th September 2019, 09:36 PM
A possible solution is a 10mm spacer to help keep it clear or a clip to bring the cable to the side, not very elegant but I'll give it a try as a temporary fix.

I made up a spacer 16mm thick for a more permanent fix.

461215 461216461217

Lappa
14th September 2019, 08:40 PM
Just an update on the problem of swarf getting under the table when it’s bolted down.

Modified my stand so there is now a cavity under the drill table. I was going to make a drawer but it’s not needed.

I could drill out the back and fit an extractor hose but I don’t think it’s necessary - maybe something for the future.

The table has now been raised to a more comfortable 97cm.

micmcg
23rd September 2019, 04:49 PM
$23 from Hare & Forbes. Inside bore is 25mm and I believe the handwheel shaft on the drill is 19mm so I've ordered a 25mm aluminium pipe with 3mm wall thickness to use as a sleeve. It should bring it down to 19mm but this is all theoretical at this stage because I don't yet have the drill or the pipe. :D

Hey mate, do you have a part number or a direct link to hafco? Having trouble finding it

KahoyKutter
23rd September 2019, 09:20 PM
Hey mate, do you have a part number or a direct link to hafco? Having trouble finding it

Here's the link (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/DY999). I think the part number is either DY999 or #16104001C.

And my plan to use an aluminium pipe as a sleeve to reduce the bore worked a treat with a bit of sanding. You will also have to tap a M8 hole for the retaining grub screw. The 3 spoke handle already has a 6mm hole that is the right size for the M8 grub screw but it's in the wrong location. it needs to be about 7.5mm from the base. Good luck.

Here's a photo of it mounted to the drill....

micmcg
23rd September 2019, 10:00 PM
Here's the link (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/DY999). I think the part number is either DY999 or #16104001C.

And my plan to use an aluminium pipe as a sleeve to reduce the bore worked a treat with a bit of sanding. You will also have to tap a M8 hole for the retaining grub screw. The 3 spoke handle already has a 6mm hole that is the right size for the M8 grub screw but it's in the wrong location. it needs to be about 7.5mm from the base. Good luck.

Here's a photo of it mounted to the drill....

Do you find it works better than the wheel?

KahoyKutter
23rd September 2019, 10:25 PM
Do you find it works better than the wheel?

Yes, it is infinitely better. The OEM wheel is just not ergonomic. With the 3 spoke, I can get the full travel with one smooth single-handed action.

micmcg
23rd September 2019, 10:28 PM
Yes, it is infinitely better. The OEM wheel is just not ergonomic. With the 3 spoke, I can get the full travel with one smooth single-handed action.

Great. I put a steering wheel knob on mine and it improved things but it’s still not great. Will do your mod.

azaram
29th October 2019, 03:00 AM
And my plan to use an aluminium pipe as a sleeve to reduce the bore worked a treat with a bit of sanding. You will also have to tap a M8 hole for the retaining grub screw.

Hey, do you have any material left over from the pipe?
I'd be happy to pay you, plus cover postage if you'd be willing to cut off a bit.
It would save me having to source and order the right pipe and would just end up wasting what I don't use.

What did you end up having to sand to make it fit?

I just ordered a PBD40 tonight and will also order that 3-spoke handle and do your mod. That wheel looks really awkward to use, and it sounds like your mod is way better!

KahoyKutter
29th October 2019, 05:45 PM
Hey, do you have any material left over from the pipe?
I'd be happy to pay you, plus cover postage if you'd be willing to cut off a bit.
It would save me having to source and order the right pipe and would just end up wasting what I don't use.

What did you end up having to sand to make it fit?

I just ordered a PBD40 tonight and will also order that 3-spoke handle and do your mod. That wheel looks really awkward to use, and it sounds like your mod is way better!

Mate, tbh I have no idea what I did with the leftover pipe but you're not really saving anything by getting it from me. Here's the eBay link (https://www.ebay.com.au/itm/ALUMINIUM-ROUND-TUBE-25mm-DIAMETER-X-3mm-X-300mm-LONG/122015128750?ssPageName=STRK%3AMEBIDX%3AIT&_trksid=p2057872.m2749.l2649) of where I got it from. It's not very expensive and most of the cost is for postage which would be the same if I were to send it to you.

As for what you have to sand, you're going to have to see what the fit is like between your aluminium pipe's inner and outer diameter, the inner bore of the handle, and the diameter of the shaft on your drill. Each have manufacturing tolerances and all 3 could be totally different to mine. In my case I had to sand both the inner and outer diameter of the aluminium pipe to make it fit. This is easier to sanding the inner diameter of the handwheel hub (cast iron) and the shaft on the drill (hardened steel) as aluminium is quite soft and the tube is more accessible. Just sand a bit at a time and test for fit regularly. Even if you stuff up, you'll have enough aluminium pipe to make several sleeves if you need to.

Good luck.

azaram
29th October 2019, 10:51 PM
Mate, tbh I have no idea what I did with the leftover pipe but you're not really saving anything by getting it from me.

No problem.
I was thinking I might measure it up once it all arrives and then design up a few sleeves in Fusion 360 with varying tolerances and 3D print them.

BTW, Machinery House said they sold the last handle to me and that the manufacturer can no longer supply them. :down:
I'd offer to make up sleeves for others, but it seems like there's no point.

azaram
30th November 2019, 02:30 PM
FYI it’s on sale again on Amazon right now for $299 as a Black Friday deal.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Potts
6th December 2019, 07:28 PM
I picked one of these up off Amazon, three day turn around, set it up yesterday and I have to say I’m impressed with it, quick set up, mounted on my existing drill bench, removed safety guard and fired it up after reading the manual (sure) .
very quiet compared to my hitachi drill mounted in my Record Power drill stand, laser is accurate enough for my needs, lights good. Positive depth stop, easy height adjustment and the chuck is a breeze to use.
very happy with it.

aarggh
24th May 2020, 05:38 PM
I got one of these last year when they were on special and a trial amazon prime membership gave free express shipping to replace an Ozito (I gave it to a mate as I really, really hated it), and have been using it heaps ever since, mainly with a 40mm forstner bit drilling 25mm deep holes in hardwoods.

It's performed absolutely stellar since day 1, no detectable chuck wobble, not the most powerful drill by any means but more than powerful enough for the purpose.

If you see them on special I'd highly recommend one! They're a really nice unit!

Such a joy not having to changes belts too like on my old Ozito, I know it's trivial but man I really hated that! And also when the stupid chuck would fall out!

Xanthorrhoeas
24th May 2020, 06:07 PM
Yes, it’s great that such a reasonably priced consumer item actually works so well. I can’t see me ever going back to a belt drive unit.

groeneaj
5th September 2020, 08:31 PM
Just wondering if $399 is the best price to pick one of these up at the moment? Cheers

aarggh
11th September 2020, 10:02 AM
They do seem to routinely come on special around the $275-$300 mark, so if you're not in a hurry just check periodically.

If you haven't signed up before, you could also sign up for a trial with Amazon Prime if they offer the free shipping. Saves an extra $15 or so (quit after it's delivered).

cheers, Ian

Xanthorrhoeas
11th September 2020, 10:21 AM
WOW, that is a bargain price compared to what I paid. I'm glad that I have had good use out of mine in the intervening years or I might feel cheated. I'm still happy with mine.

aarggh
12th September 2020, 10:13 PM
WOW, that is a bargain price compared to what I paid. I'm glad that I have had good use out of mine in the intervening years or I might feel cheated. I'm still happy with mine.

I did get mine very cheap at the time, but I think for that size class they do seem to be the best around, so you've done well getting one regardless.

cheers, Ian

groeneaj
12th September 2020, 10:22 PM
They do seem to routinely come on special around the $275-$300 mark, so if you're not in a hurry just check periodically.

If you haven't signed up before, you could also sign up for a trial with Amazon Prime if they offer the free shipping. Saves an extra $15 or so (quit after it's delivered).

cheers, Ian

Thanks Ill get an eye on it

BEM
13th October 2020, 07:37 AM
Just a heads up to anyone wanting a Bosch Bench Drill PBD 40 (https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07J3D5YDT/). It is on sale now (Amazon Prime sale) for $319. You have to be an Amazon Prime member to get the sale price. You can sign up for a 1 month free trial though to qualify. I just bought one. :yippy:

Cheers
Lyndon

groeneaj
13th October 2020, 09:43 AM
Just a heads up to anyone wanting a Bosch Bench Drill PBD 40 (https://www.amazon.com.au/dp/B07J3D5YDT/). It is on sale now (Amazon Prime sale) for $319. You have to be an Amazon Prime member to get the sale price. You can sign up for a 1 month free trial though to qualify. I just bought one. :yippy:

Cheers
Lyndon

Thanks for the heads up mate [emoji106]

KahoyKutter
14th October 2020, 08:38 PM
For those interested in the this drill, it's slightly cheaper from Amazon UK at $305. You still buy it via AmazonOz, you just have to search for it......or you could just click on this link (https://www.amazon.com.au/Bosch-Bench-Maximum-Drilling-Diameter/dp/B00766C1A8/ref=sr_1_3?dchild=1&keywords=bosch+pbd+40&qid=1602668083&smid=A3JCEYBC5L8UJ8&sr=8-3).

And BTW, it looks like the sale ends in 13 hours and counting.

jimbo16
12th November 2020, 11:06 PM
I love mine but decided I needed to change the handle...