PDA

View Full Version : Acqua Coat clear woodgrain filler

Arron
1st October 2017, 05:24 AM
This product was mentioned in a post below. I want some feedback on it but didn’t want to hijack.

It sounds like the answer to my dreams.

AquaCoat Clear Grain Filler now available in Australia - Armstrong Lutherie (http://armstronglutherie.com.au/products/)

Is it easy to use. Does it sand well. Does it fill without soaking away. What size gaps can you do with it. How many coats. That sort of thing.

Cheers
Arron

Sawdust Maker
1st October 2017, 10:21 AM
and what's its aging quality like?
ie how is it after 5 or 10 years?

homey
2nd October 2017, 06:03 PM
No idea what it is like in 10 years, but it is used by luthiers and I’d imagine they would expect the finish on their instruments to last.

Arron - I use this on boxes, both on open grain and burr panels. In the tub it looks like a very firm paste. The number of coats depends on the job I guess, but for me it is usually 1 or 2 coats. Sands easily. I’ve not used it on craters but for regular pore filling it works for me.

i wanted a clear pore filler rather than something that would change the character of the timber - so far it has done what it says on the tub - dries clear. I’m using it under shellac, by the way. Don’t know how it plays with other finishes. Hope this helps.

Brian