PDA

View Full Version : Shellawax Glow

Fumbler
12th September 2017, 05:40 AM
Has anyone ever applied Shellawax Glow to a box? or have they put it on by hand? If so please let me know how to do it or how the results are.

Christos
13th September 2017, 07:32 AM
When I first got this I wanted to try it out so I prepared a flat piece of wood sanded to 400 grit and applied it on the sample wood. I did this by hand and found it hard going to get a nice shine on the piece.

When you do this on the lathe you get the friction needed but by hand it does take a fair bit of effort.

Of course after using it for years I thought that I would try it again as I had acquired a polishing mop for the lathe. I applied by hand and then used the polishing mop to get the shine.

I suspect that you could use a sander with polishing disc to get the friction needed.

LGS
13th September 2017, 09:53 AM
Hi,

I agree with Christos, though I would say that you would probably need to go up from 400g to something like 800 or 1000g to get a stunning result.

Regards,

Rob

royflatmate
13th September 2017, 10:20 PM
When I was in NZ we applied a beeswax of which the name escapes me but to buff it up we used a old fashioned shoe brush.Was just like polishing your shoes and you can generate a bit of heat with some elbow grease.Could be worth a try.

cheers.....Roy

Fumbler
14th September 2017, 03:00 AM
Thanks gents, I have box that I whacked together literally as a test for 1. Hinges and the hinge tool I made, 2. For a spline jig, and now I guess I can try with shellawax glow and see how it turns out. I will post some pics of the results.

test box

derekcohen
14th September 2017, 11:03 AM
Has anyone ever applied Shellawax Glow to a box? or have they put it on by hand? If so please let me know how to do it or how the results are.

Yes. Wipe on, and then use a cloth wheel on a drill press to buff off. This process require a little extra work as some residue can collect and then need to be buffed again. However, it has always worked well. I have done boxes and irregular-shaped tools this way.

Regards from Perth

Derek