PDA

View Full Version : Ceiling Paint - Pink to white

notrot
18th September 2005, 09:26 PM
Greetings all,
I notices some cceiling paint today that aparently when you paint it on its pink and after it fries it turns white. I didn't buy any as the chap at Bunnings didn't seem to commited one way or the other when I asked him hwat it was like.
I've never come across this before.
Has anyone tried it?
Does it it give as good a finish as conventional ceiling paint?

If it does it would be fantastic, I spent all afternoon looking up at the ceiling to see which bits I'd painted and which ones still needed it.

Thanks in advance
Paul

notrot
18th September 2005, 09:28 PM
Sorry about the spelling, very tired, had a big day painting LOL

Paul

nt900
18th September 2005, 09:34 PM
No personal experience, but I know someone who used it and they reported that it did work as explained by the manufacturer.

lola
18th September 2005, 10:07 PM
hey notrot
just finished painting out the bedroom with this so called magic paint
and i'll tell you what it does work (buggered if i know how)
costs a bit more than "normal" paint but seems to be worth it
it's the second coat that does the head in with standard paint
a few points to watch :
have to be fairly quick,because as it says it dries white and than your back to square one
seems to be a bit thicker and thus a bit harder to apply
anyhow i would use it again

maglite
18th September 2005, 11:34 PM
I used it on our place and reckon that its great.

Try using some floetrol in the paint and this will help with keeping a wet edge(it wont dry out as fast)

Steve

Ianab
19th September 2005, 07:57 AM
Another positive vote.

Recently used it to paint the lounge ceiling, the pink colour does make life easier and the results were good.

Cheers

Ian

spartan
19th September 2005, 02:20 PM
I will give you the other side of the coin.

The pink to white bit works fine, it is much harder to get a good quality finish. In the end the only way I could consistently get a good finish was to thin the paint. It kept its pink to white capabilities and the finish was better.

After having a few issues I mentioned my dramas on this forum and at the local bunnings to the qualified painter there. The bunnings guy said that my problems had been replicated by a fair few others (those that had bothered to ask/complain), he recommend the use of water (about 250ml to 3 litres) of floetrol.

I'd suggest that you probably still need to put more than one coat on.

I was able to achieve pretty good results in the end, but it was a drama. It will also depend on the light situation in your room(s), downlights/halegens tend to bring out any imperfections - also if you have lots of natural light.

In defence of the paint ceilings are a bugger at the best of times.

notrot
19th September 2005, 11:52 PM
Thansk to all of you, I still have quite a bit or "normal" ceiling paint to go, but I may give the Pirnk to white paint a go in a small room just to check it out.

I'll let you all know how it goes if I do it.

Paul

Ishin
12th October 2005, 06:19 PM
HI...used it once and found that it left an inferior finish even with two coats..went back to "normal" one coat ceiling paint.

Trav
12th October 2005, 07:39 PM
I've never used it but after talking to my local painting place, I think I will give it a go. They did say, however, never to use it in a room that gets steamy (like the bedroom :D). He said that any steam from, say, the shower, will gradually turn the paint back to pink. And no-one wants a pink ceiling. Except maybe Al. :D

Trav

Geno
12th October 2005, 09:05 PM
I used it in our study. I used it straight out of the can and it looks great. I did two coats and then a bit of a retouch. As anyone will tell you - preparation is the key to a good finish. You can have the best paint in the world but if surface not prepared then result will be ordinary.

As somebody has already mentioned for a large job you will find it turns to white and you can lose track of where you have been, which defeats the purpose of the pink.

I can't see how you can get a top-notch finish with one coat, regardless of paint quality; unless it wasn't too bad in the first place.

Skew ChiDAMN!!
12th October 2005, 11:00 PM
I've never used it but after talking to my local painting place, I think I will give it a go. They did say, however, never to use it in a room that gets steamy (like the bedroom :D). He said that any steam from, say, the shower, will gradually turn the paint back to pink. And no-one wants a pink ceiling. Except maybe Al. :D

Oh, I dunno. Maybe it'd help hide the bloodstains on the ceiling from when I tried to use the Triton in there? Bathrooms don't give much elbow room. :o

versetcat
11th July 2006, 08:03 PM
I have just used "one coat" variety. Though I applied it pretty thickly, according to the directions, I found it still needed two coats over any ceilings that were not pretty close to white already. Not sure it was worth the extra cash as it saved little time.