PDA

View Full Version : small plastering job, use mdf instead?

alexeib
16th September 2005, 11:27 AM
Hi knowlegeable all,

I need to build a small enclosure for the cooling duct that goes through the first floor to cool the ground floor. The duct is in the corner and enclosure will be approx 1000 mm by 400 mm.

I've built a frame around it (studs, approx 450 mm centres, noggings, etc ) and attached it to the existing frame. It is reasonably sturdy and shake free.

Now the question of covering it with sheet material.

I am not exactly palstering guru, have none of the tools, becides doing it properly will create a lot of fine dust in the living quarters.
So, I was wondering what if I use 6 or 9 mm thick MDF sheets to cover this and use acrilic gap filler fix two corners and outer corner, where two sheets join?
I am still planing to glue in cornices/architraves at the top/bottom.

Any opinions?

Thanks,
Alexei

Trav
16th September 2005, 12:17 PM
I can't see any reason that it wouldn't work.

Plastering may be cheaper though, and easier to get a neat finish on the corner.

Trav

mic-d
16th September 2005, 04:51 PM
Can't see a problem with mdf, except as Trav says, the external corners won't be as neat. When you run the gap sealer along the edges, follow up straight away with a damp rag to feather the sealer right back to nothing, otherwise it will show through the paint (and you might want to seal after you've laid an undercoat). If you can't get a nice edge you could finish it of with a right angle timber beading. You might even get away with 3mm mdf given the small size of the bulkhead - that will make the edges even easier.

Cheers
Michael

Tiger
16th September 2005, 05:10 PM
Did something similar at my place. Need some skill to get a reasonable job with plastering. The mdf is easy to paint with and shape etc. Would use minimum of 9mm though as anything thinner will flex.

Tools
16th September 2005, 08:06 PM
If you must use MDF,then the easiest way is to use the two factory edges on the sheet to form the external corner.Cut the sheet and nail the corner together before you fix it to the studs.Use plenty of PVA and the corner will only need to be sanded to remove the saw marks from the factory edge.

Tools

Gaza
16th September 2005, 08:21 PM
MDF is used all the time in commercal fit outs along side MDF, only thing is the coner may look a bit off if you dont fill it and sand, also the paint finsh will be a little differnt to the plaster on the adjancent walls.

Harry72
19th September 2005, 12:47 AM
How bouts cutting a 45° along the meeting faces of the MDF fill any gaps with bog then round it off a little... look just like gyp