PDA

View Full Version : Dining table help (pics included)

Isaco
12th April 2017, 06:16 AM
Hi,

As my first post I'd like to ask for help regarding the finishing touches for our latest project. Our new dining table is almost ready, as you can see from the picture below, it has been put together from a set of old, "reclaimed", wooden floor planks. I really like the look, but n order to get a well functioning table, it needs to be able to withstand daily used, i.e., the surface needs to be treated with something. What do you suggest? :?

I also tried age the wood to get a different look, but using the vinegar+steel wool method, I wasn't too pleased with the look. The tests I made produced a color that was too green-ish. Adding tea didn't help much either. So, in addition to adding a protective coating, any suggestions what I should use to add a different tint? Something a bit greyer could be an option. Ferrous sulphate comes to mind, but since it's toxic, it doesn't sound like a safe option (even though one would put a coating on top of it) :B

Thank you!

http://i.imgur.com/ciQJdyZ.jpg

jms_8087
12th April 2017, 07:30 AM
Looks good I would use Osmo Polyx to coat it. As for aging it maybe try baking soda youtube it. :2tsup:

rob streeper
12th April 2017, 08:27 AM
Old Masters has come out with two new colors of gel stain, Aged Oak and Weathered Wood.