PDA

View Full Version : Who's interested in a LEARN TO SPRAY DAY (Sydney)

Arron
11th March 2017, 08:19 PM
This is just floating an idea to see what interest is out there.

Whos interested in a 'learn to spray-finish day' ?

Basically, the way it will work is that anyone interested in learning how to spray finish timber can come to my place in Epping (Sydney). I'll provide a couple of compressors, a few spray guns, and the sealers, thinners and lacquers etc. I'm talking Nitrocellulose and pre-catalysed lacquers here.

I'll do the basic demo going through preparation, sealing, top coats and buffing.

I think maybe then anyone interested can go hands-on - though this part will be a bit dependent upon how much spray-drift we are putting up in the neighbourhood.

It'll be outside, under cover. No spray booths at my place, it outside or nothing.

This has come about because of several things aligning at once.
Firstly, we've sold our house and will be moving out soon, so none of the neighbours are going to be complaining if we put up a reasonable amount of spray drift - no sense complaining to someone whos going to be gone in a week or two anyway.
Secondly, the house on our left-hand side is empty - so no-one there to be worried about anyway.
Thirdly, I have a found myself with superflous 20 litre drums of Wattyl Stylewood, thinner, and Readiseal sealer. Because they are pre-catalysed the clock is ticking on these - they are getting near the end of their shelf life. I have no other use for them.
Fourthly, after 5 years of intermittent activity I now consider myself sufficiently competent as a spray finisher to pass on some knowledge. On the other hand if there is anyone who is a genuine expert, then I would be more then happy to turn the role of demonstrator over to them.

The downside is our house sold a lot quicker then we expected, so its short notice. Assuming people are only available on weekends, the available dates would have to be 18, 19 or 25 March, or 1 or 2 April. Sorry about the short notice, but we have only a few weeks to move out and I expect you all know how much work that is after 30 years in the same spot. If people are available outside weekends then its a bit more flexible.

A bit of background. Basically, there is nothing difficult about spray finishing with pre-cat lacquer. Its one of those things which is easy to pick up if you see someone else do it. However its a long, hard road teaching yourself, in a vacuum, so to speak. Its nonetheless a worthy skill to acquire because when spraying lacquers you can lay down a durable finish that is far preferable to anything you can do with brushes, plus lacquers are a nice finish and a cut above the dreaded polyurethane varnishes. And lacquer finishes are quick to apply and 'once done they stay done', not like the endless recoating and frigging around you get with shellacs and hard-setting oils.

So anyone interested ?

cheers
Arron

Arron
13th March 2017, 08:10 PM
74 views and 0 responses, so obviously that wasn't the best idea I've ever had.

Never mind.
Arron

Simplicity
13th March 2017, 08:19 PM
I was a great idea Arron.
Unfortunately possibly not enough lead time.
Had it been Melbourne and given enough time I would have said yes.
For sure

Cheers Matt

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

NCArcher
13th March 2017, 08:28 PM
I was interested as well but can't make any of those dates.
Booked up pretty solid for the next few months.

Pat
13th March 2017, 08:32 PM
Aaron, same as Tony, interested, but unfortunately booked. Spray coating NC is something I need to learn, for my turnings.

george mavridis
13th March 2017, 09:21 PM
Being in Qld won't make it possible for me but a good idea.

Arron
14th March 2017, 06:27 AM
Well, after we have found a rental property, and moved in, and assessed the neighbours to make sure there won't be any dramas, then maybe I can try again - but with decent notice.

It will be on the Central Coast then, but most people if genuinely interested shouldn't be too worried about that.

Cheers
Arron

nyamo_iaint
14th March 2017, 08:47 PM
74 views and 0 responses, so obviously that wasn't the best idea I've ever had.
I thought it a good idea too, and I live pretty close to Epping. But... I don't have anything that needs finishing! And probably couldn't get the time free anyway.

Iain