PDA

View Full Version : Double boiled linseedoil

Jacob,s french
8th March 2017, 08:19 AM
Can.t see a forum woodfinishing so perhaps i have joined the wrong forum.I am professional woodfinisher in uk and i am trying to find out how woodfinishers/painters would kettle boil their own linseedoil.
Any oilexperts out there?
Regards Jacob(dutch)

NCArcher
8th March 2017, 08:36 AM
Try here
http://www.woodworkforums.com/f9
Welcome to the forums.

Big Shed
8th March 2017, 08:41 AM
You might want to read this article in Wikipedia, in particular the part about Stand Oils and then also read the one about Varnish

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Varnish (https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Linseed_oil)

ian
10th March 2017, 04:31 PM
Can.t see a forum wood finishing so perhaps i have joined the wrong forum.I am professional wood finisher in uk and i am trying to find out how wood finishers/painters would kettle boil their own linseed oil.
Any oil experts out there?
Regards Jacob(dutch)
Hi Jacob
I don't think anyone welcomed you to the forums, so welcome :)

It has to be asked, why do you want to boil your own linseed oil?

Even if you have a 200 litre drum (44 gals in your measures) of raw oil, why would you want to go to the quality risks of trying to catalyze the stuff?

Big Shed
10th March 2017, 05:19 PM
The OP doesn't seem to be particularly interested in an answer to his question as he hasn't returned to the forum since he joined and posted that question.

ian
10th March 2017, 06:31 PM
he's not the first.
From memory, when prodded they typically respond that the first email they got containing in this instance NCArcher's response, was not particularly helpful and didn't realise that they had to "click the link" to get any further responses.
(and I'm not agreeing that NC's response was unhelpful, merely reporting (from memory) what other virgin posters have said.

dai sensei
10th March 2017, 08:48 PM
Geez its only been a couple of days, some people only get on once a week. Surprised the thread hasn't been moved to finishing though :rolleyes:

Big Shed
10th March 2017, 09:02 PM
So moved.

Neil, one would assume that when someone joins a new forum and immediately asks a question they would return within a reasonably short time to see what sort of response they are getting.

Jacob,s french
12th March 2017, 08:54 PM
I am getting used to pressing the right buttons .
There is an interesting article in Popular Science magazine of march 1961 by a guy who used to boil his own oil regularly for years.
Google books populaf science magazine and type in search bar: kettle boiled linseed oil.
There are photo.s as well.
This ofcourse for those who are interested.
Regards Jacob

justonething
12th March 2017, 11:39 PM
I've always wondered: Why can't we boil linseed oil in one of those thermostatically controlled deep fryer?

Bohdan
12th March 2017, 11:59 PM
Because the chips will taste terrible.

doug3030
13th March 2017, 12:15 AM
he's not the first.
From memory, when prodded they typically respond that the first email they got containing in this instance NCArcher's response, was not particularly helpful and didn't realise that they had to "click the link" to get any further responses.

I think that what Ian is implying and some have not thought about it enough to realize, is that when new members get an email response to their first post for the FIRST reply, because they have not read the fine print, they then think that they will get an email every time that someone responds to their thread. Seasoned forum users know that they will not get another email until they log in again. Hence, if the first response is not to their liking they may never log back in again. THe forum could be losing lots of members because of this.

New members just wait until they get an email notifying them of a post that they wish to respond to because it is to their liking or whatever. they do not realise that they will not receive an email notification of the second post unless they log in to read the first post on the forum and not just in the email.

ian
13th March 2017, 12:30 AM
What would happen if I claimed to be an expert on hypothetical scenarios?you would be called Geoffrey Robinson.
You would be a human rights lawyer (& author)
You would be married to Kathy Lette.
You would have two kids.
You would live in London.

Rodneywt1180b
13th March 2017, 04:46 AM
Old time violin makers used to make their own varnishes. It might be worth looking for information on what they did. I know there is at least one old time recipe floating around on the net though I don't remember where I saw it. Maybe try searching for antique instrument preservation techniques as well.
Rodney

ian
13th March 2017, 06:33 AM
But Jacob
you haven't told us why you want to boil your own linseed oil?

is it to make your own lead based paint? in which case I think we should discourage you.

or, are you just curious to try

Enfield Guy
13th March 2017, 08:48 AM
What intrigues me is that with all the truely wonderful modern finishes out there today why would you persist with linseed oil?