PDA

View Full Version : Yet another beginner

Necromancer
22nd February 2017, 07:37 PM
Introducing myself - 51, live in Ararat Victoria, about halfway between Ballarat and Horsham. Never had a huge interest in a hobby as I have been working rotating shift work for the last 22+ years, but about a year ago a friend of the family came and visited from FNQ. This chap, Errol, absolute gentleman, handed me a few hand made pens, I took one look and I was hooked. So I quietly acquired a Carbotec mini lathe via my father who is hugely into word turning (has had shops approach him to do work for repair of old furniture), now have a small set of chisels, an overhead drill and a mini bandsaw. Have turned up probably 10 pens so far, just getting started, limit of time sucks though.

Anyway - that's it from me, I will be probably one of the more regular posters, pardon the beginner questions though!

Gary

crowie
22nd February 2017, 09:21 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Gary".
There are a heap of members across Victoria and the rest of the country..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers, crowie

PS - Keep an eye out for Get Togethers both in Melbourne and around the state, great way to met fellow woodworker....

old1955
23rd February 2017, 02:02 PM
Welcome to the forum Gary.

Necromancer
24th February 2017, 10:55 PM
Thanks gents, only a beginner but happily turning wooden pens, just did my first acrylic one today and happy with the result.

JJF
25th February 2017, 08:25 AM
Welcome to the forum Gary