PDA

View Full Version : G'day from George

geopouk
20th January 2017, 10:27 PM
G'day and thank you for accepting me.
I am an invalid pensioner who is currently fighting lung cancer. I am winning though!
I have always had an interest in wood. My last job, before I became ill, was at a timber yard.

I was wondering if someone could answer some questions for me ?

I want to build a free standing pergola which I want to put shade cloth on to protect my plants.

I want to build a pergola which is 3m x 5m .... although I could go 3m x 6m. and 2.4m high.

How many posts would I need for this ?

Would I need to dig the posts in or can i just use post saddles and fix them into the concrete ? I would rather use post saddles as I don't have the strength to dig holes which will have to be 600mm deep I think ? But if I have to dig them in then I'll find someone to do it for me.

Any advice is appreciated. Or plans and advice on how you would do it. Thank you.

cava
20th January 2017, 11:00 PM
From one George to another, welcome.

I am sure someone with more knowledge than myself will answer your questions.

Gabriel
20th January 2017, 11:08 PM
Hey mate, welcome aboard!!

Great positive attitude to your ailment and good luck with the fight.

Your pergola, whether you use stirrups or concrete the posts directly in, the holes will have to be a similar depth. The advantage of stirrups is that you could pour the concrete, then put the posts in place. The drawback is that I find they look ugly.

I prefer to concrete the posts directly in the ground.

I would suggest 6 post over 4 as with a span of 6 metres, you would probable need a 300mm LVL to carry the weight.

A span of 3 m you could comfortably use 190 x 45 treated pine.

Please note that these suggestions on timber sizes have not been researched. I'm a carpenter, so experienced in this sort of stuff, but not an engineer so haven't comped up the timbers. Nor have I looked up the timber framing manual for a very long time.

Hope this all makes sense, and good luck!!

Cheers
Gab

geopouk
20th January 2017, 11:56 PM
Thank you for your replies. The saddles I was thinking of were the ones where you drill a hole into the existing concrete and then use a dynabolt to secure them into place. My worry was that by using them there might be some sway in the structure as it will be free standing. What do you think ?

crowie
21st January 2017, 09:02 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "George".
There are a heap of members in & around Melbourne as well as across the rest of Victoria..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers, crowie

PS - Sorry can't help on the pergola as I just make toys...woodwork is great therapy...

old1955
22nd January 2017, 11:21 AM
Welcome to the forum George.