PDA

View Full Version : Turned table legs

jmk89
19th November 2016, 06:59 AM
I am making a hall table with turned legs all using kauri pine.The top of each leg is left square and the aprons will be morticed into them.

I'm about to start turning the legs and I wondered whether I should finish them on the lathe (probably with Shellawax). I f I do that, I suppose I should use Shellwax for the rest (aprons, leg tops and table top), or should I finish the square parts with shellac?

Alternatively, could I use Danish oil for the finish and apply it to the turned legs on the lathe and polish it while it spins?

Luke Maddux
19th November 2016, 07:33 AM
I haven't really taken this approach when working with furniture including turned parts in the past. I've always just finished them (typically with oil or french polishing with shellac) along with the rest of the piece of furniture.

My personal opinion would be that if you finish them on the lathe, you're creating potential for a lack of consistency with the parts not finished on the lathe, and you should reconsider doing this. I appreciate the "outside of the box" approach, of course, but I think this is asking for trouble.

I think that Shellawax is inappropriate for finishing a large piece of furniture, and would stick to either a traditional Shellac, an oil finish, or maybe something like the Hard Shellac sold by Ubeaut.

Good luck,
Luke

Skew ChiDAMN!!
19th November 2016, 01:08 PM
I don't know about Shellawax being inappropriate for larger pieces of furniture, but it sure is a whole lot more effort making it work!

Otherwise, I agree with Luke. Assembling the piece and finishing it as a unit eliminates a slew of potential problems.

Luke Maddux
19th November 2016, 01:15 PM
Yeah, inappropriate was the wrong word. "Ill suited" may have been a better choice.

jmk89
19th November 2016, 02:01 PM
Thanks
Just wanted to make sure I wasn't missing out on a better way.
Maybe I was over-thinking things

Christos
20th November 2016, 03:12 PM
I agree finish the piece off the lathe once the table has been assembled.

If you are going to use sanding sealer it might be easier to apply the sanding sealer while the legs are on the lathe.