PDA

View Full Version : Hello all

Iron.and.Bark
18th November 2016, 12:04 PM
Hi all,

Been meaning to sign up for years, finally pulled my finger out :)

Anyway I'm located in southern Western Australia. Been doing mobile milling and other forresty industry things for quite a few years. So I imagine I'll be posting abit on the milling forum.

*edit* forgot to mention I am kind of passionate about Sheoak
Looking forward to tips, tricks and debates :)

old1955
18th November 2016, 01:44 PM
Welcome to the forum.

crowie
18th November 2016, 04:26 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "iron and Bark"....
There are quite a few members in Perth & south of Perth , across West as well as across the whole country & the globe.....
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [Work In Progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork..
Cheers crowie

Iron.and.Bark
20th November 2016, 11:09 AM
Thanks for the welcome.

Will certainly be a few work in progress pic, since getting from work in progress to completed is a slight issue ;)

Cheers :)

dusteater
20th November 2016, 12:37 PM
Welcome to the forum , nice to see that I`m not the only one who is passionate about our WA Sheoak

JJF
21st November 2016, 09:13 AM
Welcome to the forum .

Iron.and.Bark
21st November 2016, 07:45 PM
I'm positively obsessed dusteater :)

Just milled a semi Birdseye piece today. Not having much luck trying to upload a picture though. Admittedly not the best quality though, to old.

crowie
21st November 2016, 08:16 PM

Just milled a semi Birdseye piece today. Not having much luck trying to upload a picture though. Admittedly not the best quality though, to old.

scroll down a little and use the manage accounts button to add your photos...you'll get a popup window....

Iron.and.Bark
21st November 2016, 09:55 PM
scroll down a little and use the manage accounts button to add your photos...you'll get a popup window....

Seems it was an issue with my mobile phone, better stick with my pc.

The above pic being the poor quality birdseye.

dusteater
21st November 2016, 10:54 PM

Know the feeling about being too old :U.
Cut a piece of Banksia today, haven`t opened it up yet.

Iron.and.Bark
22nd November 2016, 02:16 PM
I've found banksia (grandis) to be a real pot luck wood. Very pretty grain (almost like a lace), but dreadfully prone to warpage while drying. Also extremely "hungry" for finish, seems to absorb coat after coat.

You mill your own timber dusteater?

Christos
22nd November 2016, 09:50 PM
Welcome to the forum.

dusteater
22nd November 2016, 11:18 PM
I've found banksia (grandis) to be a real pot luck wood. Very pretty grain (almost like a lace), but dreadfully prone to warpage while drying. Also extremely "hungry" for finish, seems to absorb coat after coat.

You mill your own timber dusteater?

When my back allows it , I`ll crank up the chainsaw to see what I can find.
You`re not wrong about the Banksia, but such a pretty wood, I`ve milled a couple of large Banksias and the only warping I had was with thin slabs under 50 mm , but a hell of a lot of cracking.
I`ll only mill timber that has been dead for a few years at least.
The pics are of a Banksia that`s not the Grandis but is a much larger tree, it has been dead for a while but still has some moisture content ,with a small piece about 450 mm x 250 mm x 80 mm I`m trying an experiment wrapping it tightly in glad wrap and see how it dries:U
The birds eye looks great ,and I know how rare it is to come across , I have my eye ( no pun intended) on an old large stump that I know has birds eye in it , on the list to do .
How often do you come across the pure Lace?