PDA

View Full Version : Lino

beej75
1st September 2005, 05:59 PM
I did a search on all the topics, but none really helped me.

I would like to lay some funky lino in the kitchen (very small kitchen). I know nothing about how to do this, but the kind man at Bunnings gave me heaps of information, my question is: Do I have to rip up the existing lino or can I lay over the top of it? (I'm a little scared to see what's under it!)

Gumby
1st September 2005, 06:53 PM
You're talking vinyl I assume ? If it's flat then no probs. If the existing stuff has a raised pattern it may be better to rip it up. That wouldn't be hard to do unless it's been glued directly to the floor like it was at my place. It took weeks with a heat gun and scraper to get it off but we had no choice since hardwood floors were going down and they don't stick to the vinyl.

outback
1st September 2005, 07:38 PM
I'll go one further, even if it's a little textured I reckon it would be Ok.

leeton
1st September 2005, 08:45 PM
I would rip up the old stuff, considering it is a small area, also, if you come accross a problem, any chance you could just lay some masonite over the old stuff...or would it come too high.
But thinking when I pulled up the old lino in the bathroom, there was the old stuff underneath...so maybe just lay in over the top. :)

beej75
2nd September 2005, 10:59 AM
Thanks so much for all your help. This is a great board - giving me lots of ideas! I think I'll just lay it over the existing which is in fine condition, albeit a little ugly.

Thanks again!

Gumby
2nd September 2005, 11:27 AM
the existing which is in fine condition, albeit a little ugly.

Like my missus :D

PuppyPaw
2nd September 2005, 10:24 PM
should always do it properly or not at all!

Take it all the way down to the subfloor and lay it on there with an underlay and perhaps floor sheeting if need be!

spitnchips
4th September 2005, 10:22 AM
I agree with puppypaw ( unless its a quickfix to flog the place off ) A job worth doing is a job worth doing properly

Take it all the way down to the subfloor and lay it on there with an underlay and perhaps floor sheeting if need be!

beej75
5th September 2005, 02:45 PM
Thanks again, but it's just a quick fix to 'flog the place off'.

B

rick_rine
10th October 2005, 07:32 PM
What a small www sis . Why didn't you phone me and ask ? Fancy meeting you here . This has got to be one of those Twilight zone things . DoDoDoDo .

Love you
Rick

ozwinner
10th October 2005, 07:41 PM

Down to the sub floor?? :eek:
What, joist and bearers??

Al :confused:

PuppyPaw
11th October 2005, 01:14 AM
Down to the sub floor?? :eek:
What, joist and bearers??

Al :confused:
yes sub floor down to either the concrete base, the wooden floor boards, the plywood. what ever was originally laid down to act as the floor.

did I use the wrong terminology???

beej75
11th October 2005, 10:53 AM
Thanks everyone, including Daggy - but I managed to lay it.... It looks tops, I just have to finish the edging....

B

smeds
12th October 2005, 12:54 PM
Just to give you all some advice before your next reno, get someone to look at your lino, not too many people know that old lino and vinyl flooring was manufactured with asbestos, so think twice before going like a bull at a gate and ripping it up, you lungs will thank you.