PDA

View Full Version : Sealing inside ofcamphor box

gnu52
3rd November 2016, 05:02 PM
Hello all,
I am building a camphor box for a new grandchild, basically a chest with a drawer underneath. Initially it is intended as a toy box but as he grows older I hope he will keep it as a blanket box.
I intend to finish as usual with sanding sealer & Danish Oil externally but am wondering if leaving the interior unsealed is an option. I don't want to lessen the box's ability to repel insects.
I would appreciate your advice.
Regards, Bill.

Christos
8th November 2016, 04:52 PM
I have read this on the forum that the inside of a camphor box has been finished with Shellac.

TermiMonster
8th November 2016, 05:16 PM
I have a camphor box which is unfinished on the inside.....
TM

markharrison
8th November 2016, 10:17 PM
I would leave it unfinished. Any film finish will lessen the transfer of any oils in the timber transpiring.

The worst that could happen is that the wood will become a little dirty with use over the next hundred years or so.

Rod Gilbert
9th November 2016, 07:12 AM
I made a large blanket box with camphor for our daughter 20+ years ago and also left the interior unsealed it still has the fragrance when opened today and there has been no ill effects from not having sealed the inside. Basically the same set up as you describe draw to the bottom with box and trays in the top.
Regards Rod.

gnu52
9th November 2016, 07:42 AM
Thanks for the replies.
I will complete the box glue up today & then finish the exterior, leaving the inside unsealed.
I am waiting on son in law to bring out two camphor slabs to select timber for the top.
I'll post some photos when done, having trouble typing in the website atm.
Regards, Bill

pmh
10th November 2016, 08:43 AM
Hi Bill,
I've used Kunos oil on the inside of Camphor boxes, and it works a treat. It is generally bad finishing practice to only coat one side of a piece of wood. Mainly because humidity enters one side quicker than the other and you are likely to get warping.

Phil

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

clear out
14th November 2016, 11:41 AM
Warping shouldn't apply in this case as I assume everything will be framed and supported.
Certainly never single side finish on unframed panels and tabletops etc.
H.