PDA

View Full Version : Aldi wood varnish

Amrjon
10th September 2016, 08:50 AM
G'day,

I see 5l of acrylic wood varnish in the aldi catalog this week. Seems a good price if the product is ok.

Has anyone used it previously?

Also, does anyone happen to know if that metal care paint happens to be a hammered finish? It looks to be a good price too.

http://uploads.tapatalk-cdn.com/20160909/f66a7441e8fefafece91e88c069648d8.jpg

Enfield Guy
10th September 2016, 10:29 AM
Made in Germany! Implies quality I suppose. I suppose you could give it a go. I don't use stains, but if I still did, I prolly would.

Optimark
10th September 2016, 03:58 PM
The metal care paint is not a Hammer finish, but it is a brilliant product that really does do what the blurb states it does. I have all four colours which I have progressively purchased one colour at a time, each time the paint comes on sale. I will be purchasing another tin of black this time around, as I am almost out of black.

As for the wood varnish stuff, I am not 100% sure if it is the same product I purchased about 6 years ago from Aldi for sealing/finishing some yellow tongue flooring in a shed I erected to hold stuff while I replaced my garage. That product was also advertised as dripless and it had me confused as when I opened the tin up it seemed to have gelled. I then attacked the tin with a mixer attached to my drill, which was interesting as when I moved the mixing wand around the tin, it left a bit of a void which filled up just before I finished a 360º sweep of the tin.

Eventually I realised this stuff wasn't going to get any more liquid, although it did seem to be liquid(ish). I thought I haven't got anything to lose, so I dipped, if that is the word, the 75mm brush in, scooped up some gel like stuff, then applied it to the flooring. I was blown away with the result, great coverage, even coverage, easy coverage and a water wash for the brush. The shed is in sort of daily usage and that sealant varnish has held up brilliantly.

All the paint products I have purchased from Aldi have exceeded expectations, and, as for their price, their products are quite below anything else of comparative quality. Their white exterior/interior paint/sealer/primer also on special at the same time, is the first time I have seen an Australian manufactured paint from Aldi. Everything else I have seen, or remember seeing, paint wise, has been manufactured in Germany.

Looks like they are slowly getting local manufacturers to supply their products. A couple of years ago we purchased a very good quality garden broom from Aldi, it was made in Germany. The quality was so much better than the equivalent price point product from anyone else, whose products almost universally seemed to come from China or India. Just recently, Aldi had garden brooms on sale again, they were quite well made and interestingly designed; more or less up to the usual Aldi design standard. The most interesting and pleasing find though, was that they were manufactured in Australia.

Mick.

aldav
10th September 2016, 05:08 PM
I did a Google search to see peoples comments on this Aldi paint - all good! In the results was this listing on Gumtree - DECO STYLE METAL CARE PAINT BRAND NEW | Other Garden | Gumtree Australia Marrickville Area - Marrickville | 1118831862 (http://www.gumtree.com.au/s-ad/marrickville/other-garden/deco-style-metal-care-paint-brand-new/1118831862).

If you live in the Marrickville area and want some of the black metal paint this guy would be worth a call. :2tsup:

Amrjon
10th September 2016, 10:12 PM
Thanks guys. I did see that there were positive comments about the metal paint, but didnt find much on the varnish.
Thanks for the info. The price alone makes it temping to try, the price of most finishes always seem over the top to me.

Chesand
11th September 2016, 08:33 AM
My son and I used the wood varnish on a treated pine deck and some peeled off. The treated pine had been down over 3 months and appeared to be dry but I suspect was not completely dry in the places where the varnish peeled so I would not knock the product.
As others have said, the metal paint is very good.

justonething
11th September 2016, 11:57 AM
I doubted that a German made/mixed forumla can withstand the hot Australian sun, especially on a large horizontal surface like a deck where exposure is maximized. Even using the best varnish, we have to recoat every year. But the price is certainly very attractive though for interior stuff and may be garden furniture.

countstefan
25th September 2016, 01:08 PM
I saw the inital post so i went out and bought some. I got the Oak colour would have bought the pine stain but that was already gone. I was there when the store opened.
I have used it to refinish an old solid pine table for our holiday house and it looks good. I gave it three coats. I also varnished a scrap wood bin that i use in my shed this is made from cheap plywood.

Its funny stuff looks cloudy in the tin a sort of grey brown colour. Additionally they say its a no drip formula so its like a gel. Be warned it does leave brush strokes so you need to mindful when brushing it on. I doubt that is would be good for spraying.

Anyway it was very cheap. Ill post some pictures later.

Bendigo Bob
6th September 2017, 01:52 PM
Hi Stefan, a year later and ALdi have it on sale again.

How has the varnish held up??

Dibbers
6th September 2017, 03:38 PM
Hi Stefan, a year later and ALdi have it on sale again.

How has the varnish held up??

When is it on sale? I can't see it on their website...

aldav
6th September 2017, 04:13 PM
All the paints on Saturday 16th September here.

Dibbers
6th September 2017, 04:16 PM
All the paints on Saturday 16th September here.

Ahh OK. Their website (and all online published Aldi Catalogues) only go up to the 13th. I'll wait till they're updated and see. Be keen on that varnish. I'm pretty sure Aldi have a standard catalogue Australia wide, and don't differ in offers based on location. Could be wrong though.

Chesand
6th September 2017, 05:42 PM
We get the Aldi dogalogues a week in advance which can be disconcerting.

Bendigo Bob
6th September 2017, 10:01 PM
In our brochure today in Bendigo. Sale starts 16th Sept

Bendigo Bob
6th September 2017, 10:03 PM
Oh, and back to the question mate, how did the job you did last year stack up after 12 months?

Dibbers
11th September 2017, 11:36 AM
Finally got the Aldi catalogue with the wood varnish in it. If its half as good as people have said that's incredible value! I'll definitely pick up a tin with the groceries on the weekend.

nastasya
20th September 2017, 09:55 AM
hi,what would be good and cheap decking oil.my i use aldi wood varnish instead.

Kay Bodman
6th November 2017, 11:20 AM
Six months ago a professional painter finished my established deck with Aldi Oak vanish, he said it was the best that he has used in 30 years. Every time I hose or pressure clean water marks are left. How can I avoid please?423814423814