PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Tassie Oak in a Bathroom

Gaza58
28th August 2016, 08:17 PM
Hi all....... I am currently building a shelving unit for our bathroom. I'm using Tassie Oak for the construction. Was just wondering what the best finish would be in a wet area such as this. I was hoping for a fairly natural looking finish as though it was bare timber but obviously protected from the moisture. Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.

Gaza58
30th August 2016, 07:17 AM
Any help with this would be appreciated.:rolleyes:

Chief Tiff
30th August 2016, 08:52 AM
This method I got from a boat builder; it may be suitable. You'd want to pre-finish all the timbers prior to assembly though.

Basically use a marine epoxy forced into the wood grain using a rubber spreader/squeegee-like thing; put on enough coats so that the grain is completely filled.

Toymaker Len
30th August 2016, 09:01 AM
Wipe on/wipe off poly varnish looks a bit more natural than paint on varnish and polyurethane is very moisture resistant. If the shelves are not going to be directly in the shower I would use marine spar varnish. Its made to resist splashes and it is easy to cut back and recoat but it does look like varnish.

Gaza58
30th August 2016, 10:47 AM
Thanks Chief Tiff and Toymaker Len...... I appreciate your reply's.... I will be finishing the shelves separate to the support that is holding them
Being Tassie Oak the whole unit will be reasonably heavy, but I think it will be OK as it will not only be attached to the wall but the Bottom shelf will be sitting on a plinth that is 250mm from the wall. I am giving it an industrial look by adding metal strips to the sides of the upright and adding stainless steel socket screws to give it a riveted look. Once completed I will add some finished pics.