PDA

View Full Version : Finishing Burmese Teak

Headly
14th August 2016, 05:23 PM
G'day, post number 1 for me.

We have an outdoor bench seat made of Burmese Teak, built about 1 year ago.

Once completed, I finished it with Starbright Teak Oil.

Within 6 months, it looked like cheap pine. It almost looked like the colour was peeling off even though this was not the case.

I thought maybe that the timber wasn't clean enough before I oiled it so I sanded it back to remove all signs of weathering and oiled it again.

That was 6 months ago and now the seat is looking terrible again.

I though I would try Teak Wonder, which is a dressing and sealer sold at Whitworth's but then a friend suggested I try Organoil. Another friend suggested I try this forum.

I am new to woodworking and looking forward to my next project once I sort this one out. So any suggestions on what to use to finish it off once I have sanded it back again would be greatly appreciated. It is outdoors so I'm aware that there is no magic solution.

Thanks,
Phil

Lappa
14th August 2016, 06:46 PM
I used Organoil Garden furniture oil on an outdoor table I build last Sept. It's under a pergola though. It's made from Merbau with Jarrad panels in the top..Still looks the "ducks guts" and hadn't been touched up.
Gets condensation on it at times but not a problem.

Lower down in this link you can see the oil going on and the finish.

http://www.woodworkforums.com/f187/table-recycled-jarrah-floor-boards-merbau-198596#post1899071

Headly
14th August 2016, 08:29 PM
G'day Lappa,

Thanks for the suggestion. I've just found a nearby retailer that sells Organoil so I'll check it out next weekend.

Your table looks great.

Cheers,
Phil