PDA

View Full Version : Stain/finishing cypress bed frame

Alex_Campili
1st August 2016, 09:26 PM
Hey guys, im working on a bedframe, built from 250x150mm cypress sections, im looking for some advice on types of stains/conditoners/sealers to use, i am not wanting a glossy finish and would like the colour to be a little bit darker if possible, without blotching. I have a fair few test pieces. Just not sure on the process. Thank you.

Alex.

Sent from my SM-G925I using Tapatalk

AngelaPetruzzi
10th August 2016, 10:25 AM
Hi Alex
If you have not yet found a solution then consider that if the frame will be taken apart at a later stage, you would want to be able to fix the surface up with little effort... especially not re sanding and coating. As some coating continue to off gas and especially in winter we tend to not ventilate much, consider the off gassing/smell of the product.
There are a number of safe, penetrating oils on the market and Livos is only one. The clear will deepen the colour of the timber of if you wanted a stain, the Kunos oil comes in various stains. Penetrating oils will still leave the timber grain to be visible and are easy to repair if need be at a later stage. If staining, remember the finer the sand, the less pigments that penetrate resulting in a lighter shade of colour.
Good luck with it all.