PDA

View Full Version : Howdy all, and hello from Melbourne

trentster
9th March 2016, 09:53 PM
Hi all,

Mark here, a 41-year old woodworking newbie, just getting started - having caught the woodworking bug. So far really enjoying it and trying to absorb the plethora of knowledge that is available here from all you many wise woodworking veterans!

Thus far I have made a couple of nick nacks in an attempt to learn about the different woods, oils and finishes available. I am at the point where I am trying to slowly acquire tools trying to steer clear of cheap junk(rather buy used) while staying within a sane budget. Thus far I have managed to acquire a used table saw, chisels etc - and hope to acquire the rest very slowly via garage sales on the weekends.

After a trip to Masters the other day, I tried to hunt down some sample hardwood to play with in order to make a "Marking Gauge" - landed up using some "spotted Gum" decking offcuts and not sure if it's the right material to use for this, but it turned out kinda nice I think and the marking gauge works fairly well.

I finished it with some 400 grit sandpaper and some boiled linseed oil and beeswax mixture, also not sure if that's the correct finish - lol

I would like to find some like-minded people to learn from, and would appreciate any information on Melbourne get-togethers or woodworking events that you folks would think would be beneficial?

PS " I do have access to a home built CNC machine which is what is responsible for getting me interested in this whole woodworking thing in the first place ;-) - here is a video of my machine in action for any of you interested in the CNC side of things: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=swa-eX0irPg

crowie
10th March 2016, 08:01 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Mark".
There are a heap of members in & around Melbourne as well as across the rest of Victoria..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers, crowie

PS - Please add a couple of new threads in the turning sections to show off your beaut work...

old1955
10th March 2016, 11:01 AM
Welcome to the forum Mark.

Christos
11th March 2016, 12:24 PM
Welcome to the forum.

JJF
13th March 2016, 08:47 PM
Welcome to a forum