PDA

View Full Version : Food safe finishes

Wendy105
15th February 2016, 03:29 PM
Hi there, my first post..... Wanting to know what is the best finish to use on a Cheese board, just made it... out of 'Fiddleback'
Needs to be food safe and enhance timber grain. Thanks to anyone out there who can offer information to this newbie....

rod1949
15th February 2016, 03:38 PM
G'day Wendy and welcome. I can't help but I'm interested in what is offered. Someone will come along shortly.

Chesand
15th February 2016, 04:09 PM
Food safe Plus by our "benevolent dictator"

Kuffy
15th February 2016, 04:55 PM
liquid paraffin available at your local chemist (used as a mild laxative)

Bobpol2
15th February 2016, 05:04 PM
Rice Bran Oil, used for cooking, nice and thin, soaks in well and almost no odor when fresh.
odour disappears after drying off.
i have used it on chopping boards, pizza servers, cheese boards etc for a few years without issues.

regards
bob

Xanthorrhoeas
15th February 2016, 05:48 PM
I use UBeaut Hard Shellac. It dries quickly, enhances the timber beautifully and, once it has fully set ("crosslinked") it is heat and moisture resistant. That does not include putting it in the dishwasher!! But a quick wash off in the sink and dry with a cloth seems to do no harm at all. I use it on cheese boards, wooden carved platters and coasters and am very happy with it. I keep a small container diluted ready for use with a small "rubber" (piece of fine cotton cloth wrapped around a ball of cotton wool and tied off at the top) in the mix. When I want to finish something I put on disposable rubber gloves, open the container and squeeze the rubber almost dry. A few wipes over the surface, let it dry (a few seconds to a minute) repeat a couple of times then put aside until it hardens. If the grain stands up after the first coat then give it a quick rub over with wet and dry sandpaper (I use 1000 grit) before you re-coat. If the grain really became rough you might need to go to 320 or 400 grit to smooth it off.

I find the polished products are useable within a week here in Queensland though the instructions say it takes 3 weeks to fully crosslink. The shellac can be ordered on-line and comes in a convenient bottle of made-up concentrate, just dilute with metho before use. The easiest product I have found. I often put a coat of food safe wax over the surface when I have finished polishing.

I have no financial or other connection with the manufacturer or supplier - just a happy customer.

Bedford
15th February 2016, 06:13 PM
Food safe Plus by our "benevolent dictator"

Wendy, you can find it here, FoodSafe Plus (http://www.ubeaut.com.au/FS+.htm)

Arron
15th February 2016, 06:21 PM
I use 'skydd' from IKEA.
SKYDD Wood treatment oil, indoor use - IKEA (http://www.ikea.com/us/en/catalog/products/00046786/)

I think it's just mineral oil.
Cheers
Arron

BobL
15th February 2016, 07:20 PM
Isn't it time the responses to this question was made a sticky?

Robson Valley
16th February 2016, 04:25 AM
Oven-baked vegetable oil finish. Cannot be washed off.

Wendy105
16th February 2016, 08:36 AM
Thanks Arron. this looks like it gives a great finish and dead easy to apply :)

Wendy105
16th February 2016, 08:42 AM
Thanks for this info, and guess what, it is available close to home. winner winner.....:2tsup: cheers..

Wendy105
16th February 2016, 08:43 AM
Thanks so much for responses out there.... useful info forwarded on... great :D

Robson Valley
16th February 2016, 10:09 AM
I carved a "wet dish" for my kitchen. Birch, maybe 5" x 12" x 2". Holder for wet scrub pads, sink stoppers and so on.
Melted beeswax & painted it on. Into a 325 oven for 5 minutes. Wood air heats up, wax remelts. As wood air cools, sucks the
wax (or the oil of your choice) down into the wood. Did 70 spoons and 30 forks with olive oil that way for 3mins 30 sec by the clock.
If you reheat one of my spoons beyond 325, you could get the oil to move. Won't and can't move in boiling soup.
No hocus-pocus, just Charles' Law from gas physics.

Xanthorrhoeas
16th February 2016, 03:33 PM
As this does seem to be a recurrent question it might be good if proponents of different food-safe finishes can also provide some photos of items they have finished with a food safe product. That way, everybody knows not only what is food safe but also what it looks like. Some people will love the oiled look, others may prefer a polished look. This way they get to be better informed about the choice and the results they will get. (Photos are pretty basic phone photos.)

The Hard Shellac looks like this on a couple of items:

371770 Upper: Blackwood coaster, lower: Huon Pine coaster, both with Hard Shellac

371771Carved wooden platter, laminated Northern Silky Oak, Hard Shellac finish

AngelaPetruzzi
23rd February 2016, 11:37 AM
There are so many different views as to what is food safe and what not.
If one is treating a surface for one's own use, one can use any vegetable oil. Naturally timber does not like water so cleaning is carried out with a mild cleaner and little water.

If though you are selling it on, again, it depends to who, it should be certified.
There were many ropes to jump through with paperwork etc before a large supermarket chain received the go ahead to use the Livos Kunos on their chopping boards.
The nice thing with a penetrating oil is it really brings out the timber features and colour. Here you will see some beautiful examples. Handcrafted Woodwork - Livos Australia (http://www.livos.com.au/handcrafted_woodwork)

You may also like do a search of the forum as this topic has been discussed previously...if I am not mistaken.

StevoWoodi
1st May 2016, 10:03 AM
Hi there,
Hard to beat the physical laws of nature. Just checking given that you are from Canada, is that 325 Deg C or Deg F? Our oven only goes up to 250C.

Thanks and regards,
Steve