PDA

View Full Version : New floor, progress pictures...

Moo73
1st August 2005, 03:22 PM
Pt.1
We bought our 'new' place in February this year - 90ac with a c.1920's 2br, dbl brick cottage. In late April I decided to rip up the floor in the main bedroom (before1, before2). We knew that there were bearers and joists needed replacement, and there was a bit of old termite damage (during1, during2). But I wasn't expecting to find cracks in the foundations (foundtn1 - and this is a good one, some I were 10-20mm wide gaps).

note: names in brackets refer to attached pics

Moo73
1st August 2005, 03:32 PM
So what should've been a couple of weekends of playing with timber and tools, turned into a couple of months of digging, burrowing, concreting and packing 4 new piers under the footings (johnhole - my brother-in-law in one of the new piers digging...he's about 6'3).
I've just finished putting in the new bearers and joists (frame1, frame2), went with steel piers and bearers with 'Hybeam' I profile joists (H2 treated) - this should slow any future termite onslaughts.
Since these photos were taken yesterday, I've put 'Solartex' foil board insulation in between the joists - should give 'R-rating' around 2+
Will be placing 19mm termite treated particle board flooring on top next weekend in readiness to re-line the walls and ceiling with plasterboard.
Once all the 'dirty' stuff is finished, I've got some recycled blue gum T&G flooring waiting to be laid.
Woo-hoo!

Dusty
2nd August 2005, 07:59 AM
Your doing a fine job Moo, keep up the good work. :)

vGolfer
2nd August 2005, 10:16 AM
Hey Moo, I'd love to see some higher res pics of your progress. If you could email them to vgolfer @ tpg.com.au that would be great.

We're about to undertake a similar thing...100 year old double brick house in Hawthorn and I am just wondering what I'll find under the floors. I know we have to replace the bearers and joists as well.

How are your bearers fixed?

Pulpo
2nd August 2005, 10:32 AM
Moo did you get an engineer to spec the required piers, bearers and joists.

Interested to know why you chose timber for the joists.

I was considering using a complete steel system but found it expensive, I get the idea it could be cheaper sourcing your own steel materials???

Your project is certainly looking rather fine, I would also prefer pictures with greater resolution if possible.

Keep up the good work

Cheers

Pulpo

Moo73
2nd August 2005, 01:52 PM
Hi Pulpo,
I haven't had the framework spec'd by an engineer - but I did use the FLW (Floor Live Weight) Calculations used to spec out the Duragal system (metaland equivilent of unipier system) which indicated I could have a maximum span at the ends of the room of 1.45m and 1.9m in the centre.
The floor is not in contact with anyload bearing walls, but I was still really conservative and have put in the 9xpiers at 1.2m centres - which should be more than enough support for the 100x50x3 'c-section' bearers.
The Hybeam max. span tables for the HJ200 at 450mm centres I used indicated 4.5m cont' max span or 4m single max. span. Again I've been extremely conservative and have built them on 1.9m spans.
The only flaw in this brilliant (Ha!) scheme of mine are the 2x10mm galv bolts holding each bearer to the piers (i.e. 18 bolts total) :o .
So far, the 14.5m of steel, cement (for piers) and 8x4.8m HJ200 Hybeams have cost far less than 30% of the $3K+ I was quoted for the Unipier system.
The only difference I would make is getting the steel in galv form - I spent a weekend rustguarding all the lengths.
Leanne