PDA

View Full Version : A new guy from South Gippsland

nicked74
10th May 2015, 09:08 PM
Hi all,
I have just started woodworking in the last eighteen months and have built up a basic set of hand tools (even joined the HTPAA!), I am learning mostly on pallet wood before I build my skills enough to pay for something to bodge up!!
I live in Leongatha, which is about 90 minutes south east of Melbourne and use mainly unpowered hand tools. This stops me waking the kids up as the only time I can get to my corner of the garage is after they are finished for the day.
It's funny but I never really anticipated having a passion for anything like this but have discovered a love of building furniture, even if my efforts are still pretty 'rustic' - as in, you can drive truck through my dovetails!!! I am building a table at the moment and it is tough/time consuming but massively rewarding when I get the joints to fit together nice and tightly.
Anyway, it is great reading through all the threads and listening to those with the know-how, i can see this as being a long journey!
thanks for your time
Nick

crowie
10th May 2015, 09:22 PM
G'Day & Welcome to a top forum "Nick".
There are a heap of members in & around Melbourne as well as across the rest of Victoria..
You'll find a heap of helpful & knowledgeable blokes & ladies on the forum and for most very willing to assist.
Make sure you show off your handiwork as everyone loves a photo, especially WIP [work in progress] photos with build notes.
Enjoy the forum.
Enjoy your woodwork.
Cheers, crowie

old1955
10th May 2015, 10:23 PM
Welcome to the forum Nick.

shedbound
11th May 2015, 12:02 AM
welcome Nick your from another Gippslander.

steamingbill
11th May 2015, 02:01 PM
Theres a few Gippslanders here

The forums are great you will learn heaps.

Bill

Christos
11th May 2015, 04:36 PM
Welcome to the forum.

The nice thing about working with wood(metal, plastic or leather) is there are various areas to keep ones' interests. The curve might seem steep in the beginning but as you said the journey is long. Having fun in making something is part of the journey.

JJF
12th May 2015, 06:32 AM
G'Day & Welcome to a forum