PDA

View Full Version : to all the Brits...

ryanarcher
8th July 2005, 05:39 PM
To Jow104, bj1 and all the other poms here, my heart goes out to you. I hope you and yours are safe and well.

everyone give your family a big hug tonight, because you just never know :(

beejay1
11th July 2005, 08:11 PM
Dear Ryan,

Many thanks for your thoughts and kind wishes. Im a long way from london now and glad that i am although i still travel there reguarly on business.
A terrible sequence of events that leaves you realising how vulnerable we all are and how impossible it seems to be to prevent such attacks.

Ive not been very active on the forum for a few weeks due to business and also taking advantage of the lovely weather weve having by getting in some golf, going out in the roadster and naturally getting in some woodwork. So apologies all for the absence but I have been partaking of the occasional lurk and will be back in action soon. Give me something contentious Sturdee to get my teeth into.http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/images/icons/icon7.gif
Regards to you all.
beejay1

http://community.webshots.com/user/eunos9

Sturdee
11th July 2005, 08:54 PM
Give me something contentious Sturdee to get my teeth into

What me, contentious :confused: surely never. :D

Actually, after this latest and atrociously cowardly attack on innocent people, I agree with what I heard on the radio this weekend, that it is time for the muslim community to take the initiative and identify potential extremists and terrorists. These terrorists are not true muslims but are hiding amongst them.

Then the government should take those into protective custody, for the protection of the community, for the duration of the war on terrorism, and if they were not born in this country strip them of citizenship and deport them.

I think that should happen in your country as well.

Also I think that any civil libertarians who object to this should be considered terrorists as well and dealt with the same way.

Peter.

ozwinner
11th July 2005, 08:57 PM
My thoughts too, round em up and ship em out.
They obviously think they belong somewhere else, lets not dissapoint them.

Al

Cliff Rogers
11th July 2005, 11:13 PM
Yeah well, I feel a bit sorry for the Muslims that moved away to a place that they thought was safe only to find out that they have become scapegoats.

I heard a quote on the radio tonight that's worth repeating & remembering... it was along the lines of... "They should be called Jihad Terrorists or Jihad Extremists not Muslim Extremists or Islamic Terrorists".

I made sense to me 'cos I had found myself thinking that I didn't like the Muslim religion but there are Muslims that do not support terrorism either.

Mind you, in this day & age, I don't see why ANYone would move to another country & then set out to make it just like their old home. :(

silentC
12th July 2005, 09:48 AM
Mind you, in this day & age, I don't see why ANYone would move to another country & then set out to make it just like their old home.
I think that is a very natural phenomenon. People come here to get away from what is basically a crappy life. They've heard how wonderful it is here, and they are right. But once the novelty wears off, things are not as rosy as they thought. They miss their friends and family, they miss the food and other things that they can't buy here, and they miss their institutions. So they start bringing or building those things here. They try to change things so that they are more comfortable to them. That's the difference between multi-culturalism and assimilation. We have to take the good with the bad.

bitingmidge
12th July 2005, 10:51 AM
Actually, after this latest and atrociously cowardly attack on innocent people, I agree with what I heard on the radio this weekend, that it is time for the muslim community to take the initiative and identify potential extremists and terrorists. These terrorists are not true muslims but are hiding amongst them.

Also I think that any civil libertarians who object to this should be considered terrorists as well and dealt with the same way.

It's an interesting concept Peter, and even though I sympathise with the sentiment, I don't think it'll work, and while being the opposite of a civil libertarian, does it work when the shoe is on the other foot?

If one were to be consistent with this argument, the mislabled Christian (or more correctly Athiest) community should be taking responsibility for fishing out those responsible for the Srebrenica attacks where 8,000 muslims lost their lives for simply living there!

It is easy to brand any person because of what we suppose their beliefs to be (and I know you weren't doing that), but the notion that because one has the same religious belief or cultural background as a bad guy, they suddenly become aware of the criminal in their midst, needs to be challenged!

How does one tell if Uncle Charlie is an embezzler, or a king, or a terrorist sleeper?

Cheers,

P (having a thoughtful morning!)

Cliff Rogers
12th July 2005, 11:02 AM
...or a terrorist sleeper?...
Like Grunt?

...P (having a thoughtful morning)...
Listened to AM on the ABC ? :D

Grunt
12th July 2005, 11:06 AM

So we should imprison people who believe that it is unjust to imprison people who have not been tried for and found guilty of a crime? I should go to jail then. Don't bother with a trial, I'll just pack my things and drive down to the nearest prison.

It is a slipper slope.

bitingmidge
12th July 2005, 11:06 AM
Like Grunt?

Exactly my point!! I heard that the terrorist community all sleep naked, so people who sleep naked should be specially alert!

Listened to AM on the ABC ? :D

No, but there's been enough around to jog the memory. It just seems that there's a bit of an imbalance in the way the press make us think.......

Cheers,

P (don't get me wrong, I love imbalance!)

:cool: :cool: :cool:

Grunt
12th July 2005, 11:07 AM
Like Grunt?

It's ok, I'm already going to prison. They have workshops there don't they?

craigb
12th July 2005, 11:29 AM
It's ok, I'm already going to prison. They have workshops there don't they?

Yes but they only have GMC and Triton tools. :D

(thanks to Wongo for that one)

ryanarcher
12th July 2005, 03:49 PM
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cliff Rogers
Like Grunt?

Exactly my point!! I heard that the terrorist community all sleep naked, so people who sleep naked should be specially alert!

Now Midge,

how do you know Grunt sleeps naked? (this in my mind is an even more slippery slope)

bitingmidge
12th July 2005, 04:24 PM
Now Midge,

how do you know Grunt sleeps naked? (this in my mind is an even more slippery slope)

Pay attention Ryan!!!!

http://www.woodworkforums.ubeaut.com.au/showpost.php?p=171629&postcount=17

:D :D :D
P

Sturdee
12th July 2005, 06:15 PM
It's an interesting concept Peter,

We must not forget that we are at war with these terrorist groups. This was not of our choosing but inflicted upon us by extremists groups. Whilst we might conveniently ignore it and carry on as usual they are not sleeping and waiting until they can strike at us.

This is way happened on 9/11, the Bali bombings, the Spanish bombings and now London. Who knows if we are to be the next target?

Also when a country is at war it is normal for citizens and sympathizers of your enemy to be interned for the duration. This is done under emergency war time powers to protect your own citizens against enemy attack. This we did during WW1 and WW2. There was never even a question about that. No civil libertarians even dared to complain for we were at war.

This time we are also at war. I know because a close relative is about to go to Iraq for his tour of duty in this war against terrorism.

Now I don’t believe these terrorists are genuine Muslims, but are hiding amongst that community. I also believe that some Muslims know about them. If so, as citizens of this country and being true to their faith, they should come forward and identify them to the authorities so they can be dealt with.

I am not branding any belief, whether Foilies, Christian, Muslim, Buddhist or otherwise. Nor am I concerned with what may have happened in the past or ordinary criminal behaviour but specifically terrorists.

What I am about is the protection of our citizens, and if laws need to be suspended or special laws introduced to cope with this so be it. It may be a slippery slope but the common good overrides individual rights during wartime conditions.

That is my thoughtful opinion.

Peter.

silentC
13th July 2005, 09:39 AM
Saying we're at war with terrorism is like saying we are at war with bush fires, or car accidents. We can fight these things, we can look for the causes and try to prevent them from happening, we can raise people's awareness - but at the end of the day you cannot declare war on an idea.

This whole 'war on terrorism' thing is a buzz phrase to get people whipped up into a frenzy and to allow governments a bit of 'flexibility' in how they handle things. I'm not necessarily saying that I disagree with the measures that are being taken but technically, you can only declare war on a country or a state, not on a concept.

If you wipe out one terrorist organisation, another one will spring up in it's place. It's not like WWI-WWII where there were clear aggressors and defined battle fronts. You can't say to 'terrorism' "if you do not withdraw from such and such a country, we will have no alternative but to declare war on you". It's not a war that can be won.

The declaration of war allows you to do certain things and take certain steps that would not normally be allowed - but you are also bound by the Geneva convention. The reason for declaring war on terrorism was to open the way for the US to send troops to another country. It had to be done or their constitution would not have allowed that to take place. If it ever went to court, I doubt that they would have a case.

The conflict that the current focus is on has been going on for hundreds of years. It's not the only struggle that attracts terrorism but because it has hit at the US, Europe and now England, it's profile has been raised to predominance. Who knows what will happen in the end. Maybe there wont be one.

Wongo
13th July 2005, 09:49 AM
Yes but they only have GMC and Triton tools. :D

(thanks to Wongo for that one)

:D :D :D :D :D
Maximum penalty.

simon c
13th July 2005, 03:08 PM
I'm not sure I agree with your point on the war on terrorism, Sturdee. When Britain was at war with the IRA there was no expectation that Irish people (in Ireland or in Britain) or Catholics around the world should have taken responsibility for the actions undertaken by the IRA.

powderpost
13th July 2005, 11:07 PM
All this raises the question in my mind, is multi-culturelism good for Australia? Multi nationalism I think is very good for Australia. But, in Australia everyone should be Australian and observe local custom in public. What an emigrant does in the privacy of their own home is nobody's business but their's. When our newer citizens enter the street, they must imho, become Australian. The same would apply to me and my family if we were to move to another country, which I might add will never happen. It is therefore my opinion that multi-culturelism is decidely not on.
Jim

E. maculata
13th July 2005, 11:19 PM
I look on at ther events of todays world with the sinking feeling of "the old Man was right" my sometimes conspiracy theorist Father always said the Yanks would turn on the "valiant freedom fighters" (their description of the day not mine) in Afghanistan and other countries threatened by the "red menace". Also it really P1sses me that all rebellious movements are now be branded "terrorists" for simple & devious political manipulation.
Evil is Evil no matter the coat it wears and the victors always tweak the historical records after the victory.