PDA

View Full Version : Shelf Life Arboroil, Arborwax and U Beaut finished

Flindersia
12th September 2014, 09:32 PM
Anyone know the shelf life of U Beaut and Arboroil/Arborwax finishes.I have a stack from an estate that I’d like to give a try. They includeShellawax, Hard Shellac (use before 2010 vintage) and U Beaut Sanding sealer. I alsohave a box full of Arborwax and Arboroil that has a manufacturing date in 2000.The tins have never been opened but I don’t know if the solvent might have lostits ability to set the finish. All advice welcome.

Christos
17th September 2014, 03:14 PM
I am not sure on the all the products mention so can only comment on the Hard Shellac. Normally Shellac once mixed has a shelf life of about a year. The flakes can last quite a bit longer if stored property.

As the Hard Shellac has a use by date it most likely is not going to be very good to use as you are looking at 4 years over the use by date.

As you had received this from an estate and never opened might be worth a try on a test piece? See what you get. :sad3: Even post the result for others to see.

Jim Carroll
17th September 2014, 05:22 PM
Throw the lot away, going to be more trouble than they are worth.

ubeaut
18th September 2014, 12:15 AM
They include Shellawax, Hard Shellac (use before 2010 vintage) and U Beaut Sanding sealer.

Shellawax: Should be fine so long as it mixes up alright after a good shaking up.

Sanding sealer: Should be fine.... No real shelf life on that stuff.

Hard Shellac: Dispose of it thoughtfully. Not much good 4 years after use by date.

No idea about the Arborwax and Arboroil. Maybe contact the manufacturer.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :U

Flindersia
27th September 2014, 03:41 PM
Many thanks Neil. There is also a couple of jars of shellawax cream there as well. It's probably all of similar vintage but going by your advice on the shellawax I presume the cream should be ok as well?

Shellawax: Should be fine so long as it mixes up alright after a good shaking up.

Sanding sealer: Should be fine.... No real shelf life on that stuff.

Hard Shellac: Dispose of it thoughtfully. Not much good 4 years after use by date.

No idea about the Arborwax and Arboroil. Maybe contact the manufacturer.

Hope this is of some help.

Cheers - Neil :U