PDA

View Full Version : Finishing for outside use

ianosgood010
6th September 2014, 03:46 PM
I need to put a finish on a table I'm making to keep outside on our deck. What kind of a finish would I put on it to keep it from splitting and weathering?

Master Splinter
6th September 2014, 06:52 PM
Options are, in order of increasing maintenance (and roughly their level of protection):

1) None at all. If it's a durable timber, this might work quite well.
2) Oil - needs to be reapplied roughly every year.
3) SolarGuard or similar, assuming you don't mind a painted table.
4) Varnish - takes time to apply, needs sanding and reapplication every 5 years or so.
5) Marine epoxy followed by varnish - even more time consuming, needs revarnishing every 5 years or so, but will provide the highest level of protection from the elements.
6) Marine epoxy followed by paint - less maintenance than 5) if you don't mind a painted finish.

Wrongwayfirst
6th September 2014, 07:16 PM
Decking oil for mine, I use feast Watson as it is an oil not a water based decking "stain". Easiest way to tell if it's an oil base or water base is read the cleanup section oil base uses turps water base uses water clean up. You will need to redo it every 12 months or so.
this covers the weathering side as for the splitting I guess timber is timber and some is more prone to splitting.:U Anyhow I am no expert but it works for me, cheers

AngelaPetruzzi
9th September 2014, 12:52 PM
It’s always good to use a safe finish on a table, whether it is inside or out. If you haven’t decided on a finish, a consideration would be the Livos Alis decking oil. It does come in a stain as this is what gives it the protection against weathering and the UV rays. With a full ingredient disclosure, you at least know what you are using. The nice thing with reapplication is it is a quick and simple one coat...there is no peeling or cracking of the coating so no sanding back required.

LGS
9th September 2014, 01:25 PM
Just a note. Don't know if anyone else noticed, but ianosgood010 is in Washington!! He may not be able to get products we are recommending.

Regards,

Rob